Does the P3A have to cool after a 20 min run?

Reaction score
I'm going to buy another battery and I'm wondering if it's possible to fly and discharge first battery to 20% and immediately replace the P3A with a fresh fully charged battery and fly?

Just not sure if the P3A needs to cool after a 20 min. run.

Thank you in Advance!

Normally the Phantom is ready to go. I would recommend after the flight to feal the motors and if they are warm ok to fly if hot to touch then they need cooling time. Haven't seen to many time they are really hot, just depends on temperature and how hard of of a work out your Phantom got.

Reactions: td619
I usually let things cool and have a shot between flights. gotta stay hydrated!!!! I dont run my drones balls the the walls..Im way to old for that!!

What he said !

:harry

I'm going to buy another battery and I'm wondering if it's possible to fly and discharge first battery to 20% and immediately replace the P3A with a fresh fully charged battery and fly?

Just not sure if the P3A needs to cool after a 20 min. run.

Thank you in Advance!
I fly in Warm weather all the time and have flown many times 8 to 10 full batteries non stop other than to change
Never a issue other than on really hot days I have to swap Ipads out as they get to hot after about 4 flights but in 80 deg days I can get all on one ipad

Last edited:
If I have battery left-- I will let mine run at idle for a minute or two-- to cool of the motors a tad. Works well

I'm just the opposite. Sticks full forward on liftoff and great big circles around park when flying to condition batteries. Been flying the crap out of her! But I'm only 60. :cool:
I like this Snerd guy! Don't fly it like a P******!!! You only have one life to live fly it like you stole it! (Just don't hurt anyone else.) [emoji41][emoji74]

Have fun. Push the limits. If it goes out in a horrific ball of flames because it overheated (it won't) then you'll have the best story out there! P.S. It's just a silly/cool toy. Have fun with it. If it breaks fix it or by another. [emoji15][emoji33]

(Just having a bit of fun. It's Snerd's fault.)

I fly in Warm weather all the time and have flown many times 8 to 10 full batteries non stop other than to change
Never a issue other than on really hot days I have to swap Ipads out as they get to hot after about 4 flights but in 80 deg days I can get all on one ipad

A few times, I've flown continuously for a few hours each in hot, Florida, weather. The batteries will require time to cool down before they will charge, but I haven't noticed the P3P getting overheated. The motors get warm, but not hot. My Samsung Tab S tablet doesn't seem to have a problem with the heat. Since I did the "disable Google Play" trick, it's worked fine.

The requirement for the batteries to cool means I needed one more than I would have otherwise to keep the P3P in the air almost continuously. While using one to fly, I have two charging and one sitting in an electric cooler to cool. The cooler is one of those thermoelectric ones. It can only cool down the inside about 15 or 20 degrees F less than the ambient temperature. So, it's not like throwing the battery into a freezer.

-- Roger

You are going to have to worry about the iPad heating up more than the drone from what I've experienced.

I have noticed that on the new firmware and the Go app my iPad Air doesn't get as ware as on the older app. But I normally fly 4 batteries back to back just checking the motors between flights without any problem. On one battery today i got over 30,000' total so i was pushing it hard.

back to back to back... I've never worried about heat on the bird... it gets really hot when it's not flying and cooling itself though.

A few times, I've flown continuously for a few hours each in hot, Florida, weather. The batteries will require time to cool down before they will charge, but I haven't noticed the P3P getting overheated. The motors get warm, but not hot. My Samsung Tab S tablet doesn't seem to have a problem with the heat. Since I did the "disable Google Play" trick, it's worked fine.

The requirement for the batteries to cool means I needed one more than I would have otherwise to keep the P3P in the air almost continuously. While using one to fly, I have two charging and one sitting in an electric cooler to cool. The cooler is one of those thermoelectric ones. It can only cool down the inside about 15 or 20 degrees F less than the ambient temperature. So, it's not like throwing the battery into a freezer.

-- Roger

What's the "disable Google Play" trick? Is it any different than putting it into Airplane Mode?

I would not do that, it depends also on the weather. In the summer the Phantom3 gets super hot after one battery. My motors were really hot and the battery as well. That was on a 82 Fahrenheit evening. I would say on a 70 Fahrenheit day or below its not that bad when you fly two batteries in a row. But in general the Phantom3 gets much warmer than my Phantom2

What's the "disable Google Play" trick? Is it any different than putting it into Airplane Mode?
Means roll back Google Play services App to the older version. The new version makes some tablets lag with the newer firmware.

I always touch the motor after each flight. If they are too hot, I usually let it rest for a bit before flying another battery right the way.

Reactions: Pulsar747n

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik