does pulling throttle all the way down in flight disarms the motors ?

Reaction score
im not sure i tried it, maybe i wasnt down all the way on the throttle stick but the motors didnt shut down, the phantom went down fast but controlled and all is fine
so the question is , can it happen ???
also if i cross the left and right sticks in down position like when i arm it, in mid flight can it shut down ???
cause i read it happend in phantom 2
i have phantom 3 advanced

thx

no, and no yes :)
so pulling down on left stick wont shut it down in air, but crossing the stick ???
anyway i'll just be carefull with left stick down, and never cross the sticks, no reason to do it in mid flight anyway :)

thx guys

YES! Crossing the sticks in down position midair and your phantom will be in the floor in no time. That is a CSC action that will cut power to the motors.

Left stick down will never shut off your motors in flight, the systems uses it proximity sensors to tell whether it is on the ground or in the air, the left stick down function is disabled whenever the sensors feed back information to say it is not on the ground, which they do constantly.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Good question but how come I can shut the engine off when I hand catch it? the bird like like 6 feet high.

Good question but how come I can shut the engine off when I hand catch it? the bird like like 6 feet high.
The bird feels the resistance of your hand, preventing it from descending any further, and decides it must be on the ground already.

The technique is to have a neck strap around your neck and connected to the controller, and to move the throttle all the way down while at the same time you catch the vertical portion of the landing gear while the Phantom is slightly elevated above your head. Hold the phantom perfectly still. The motors will stop within a few seconds.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
The bird feels the resistance of your hand, preventing it from descending any further, and decides it must be on the ground already.

^ this

As far as I can tell, there are four conditions that must be met for full down throttle to shut off the motors:

(1) Full down throttle and hold
(2) Altitude is not decreasing
(3) IMU detects little to no movement
(4) Above conditions exist for 2 seconds

I confirmed (3) above by hand catching and holding the AC at the same height but intentionally "wobbling" it in my hand to create some movement. The motors wouldn't shut all the way down until I held it still.

Mike

Reactions: Dadcat and Reed L

that explained. I leaned something. thx

And it might sound stupid but it's important to grab the vertical portion of the landing gear otherwise it's a flying, lever-action food processor aimed at your forearm.

Reactions: JonEQuest
there should literally be a sticky at the top of the forum that says "Pulling throttle down while in flight does NOT turn off motors!"

So its not using sonar, but barometric pressure. That means that theoretically, it might cut its motors in flight provided you are somehow in an extremely strong (and stable) updraft that matches the phantoms free fall speed; I can see this happening like once in a bazillion flights in a strong thermal or at a hill slope.

This is probably a stupid question. If say you were flying at high altitude and had to use cross sticks for an emergency shut off, could you do the same action and restart the motors mid flight?

Theoretically. But from what I've read on here, it's never been done successfully on a P3 (it ends up hitting the ground before it can recover).

So its not using sonar, but barometric pressure. That means that theoretically, it might cut its motors in flight provided you are somehow in an extremely strong (and stable) updraft that matches the phantoms free fall speed; I can see this happening like once in a bazillion flights in a strong thermal or at a hill slope.
Theoretically, yes. It's hard to imagine though...

I watched a video where this was put to the test in the best possible manner. A phantom was lifted high enough to start the motors before it would hit the ground, however the bird was upside down when motors started and it could not right itself. Powered plunged it straight down at a faster rate than free fall. Wouldn't try it!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20