Does not fit here, but it's the closet. Site inspections for plant.

Reaction score
I work for a LARGE company here in Charleston, we have 5 buildings on site. Next Friday, I attend the first planning meeting for our company to deploy a drone for roof and external equipment inspections.

And yes, I hope this turns into a full time position here!

I feel obligated to tell them of part 107 requirements (like line of sight) but at the same time introduce Litchi and other apps that a program a flight outside of line of site, and even transmitter range.

Have you ran across the same issues?

Yes and no. In Columbia SC - just one building of interest, but it was completely surrounded by other buildings. It was a no-go unfortunately.

My issues were complicated by potential of people on the ground and the HUGE array of WiFi traffic in the immediate area. Because of the potential radio interference, perhaps Litchi is the best choice, and maybe place yourself on one of the roofs to maintain better LOS, but keep in mind you must have some way to regain control if lost. White knuckle territory. Perhaps it may be advisable to take your time and go to each building on a low wind day, go to each roof, and launch just up and down.

All that said, you may want to benchmark what others have done (as you are doing in this thread) by checking commercial droners in OTHER parts of the country to see what they do. Maybe it's a simple matter of having a spotter.

Also - very important - have one or two emergency landing places chosen ahead of time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic