Does Fatshark head tracker work with a Phantom

Reaction score
Before you ask, yes I,m a NooB.

Just researching, before I make a decision on which way I'm going to go before purchasing.

As the subject states, does the head tracker work with a phantom ( phantom 2 with Gimbil and go pro)?
Will I have to update the hand set for this to work or can I use the standard one?
I'm looking at doing Aerial video/real estate/commercial work (in Australia), would you recommend the Fatshark or a FPV TFT/LED screen?

Any input would be greatly appreciated?

I'm assuming to be able to do commercial work in Australia that you've completed the $8000+ CASA certification application to gain your "Operators Certificate"?

For head tracking you will need to replace your transmitter with one that supports a trainer connection. Futaba, Spektrum, FrSky etc all support this.

What is it you want to control with the head tracker? The Phantom itself or the gimbal? If you want to control the gimbal you're going to need a 3-axis one with 2-operator mode. I'm not aware of one that fits the Phantom.
If you want to control the Phantom with it then I would strongly advise you not to consider this. Head tracking on all of the FatShark models is extremely buggy with the tracker resetting when you move your head beyond certain limits. I have a small 2-axis (pan/tilt) camera mount on my F550 that I had hoped to control with the head tracker. It's so unreliable that I've now removed it.

Yes, I'm well informed about the CASA requirements. Without a Aircraft there is no point in completing any course at the moment. :D
I,m looking to control the Gimbil (pan/tilt)

Cheers

He'll also need his PPL- Private pilots licence as well not just the op cert from CASA

brooksy said:
Yes, I'm well informed about the CASA requirements. Without a Aircraft there is no point in completing any course at the moment. :D
I,m looking to control the Gimbil (pan/tilt)

Cheers

OK, so you'll need a gimbal that can do pan/tilt first. This means 3-axis as all the 2-axis axis ones are roll/tilt.
Then you'll need a different transmitter and receiver.

I would seriously consider a larger aircraft than the Phantom to do this. An F550 or something like that.

dvm71 said:
He'll also need his PPL- Private pilots licence as well not just the op cert from CASA
Which I have. :D
Thank you for your response and please don't take this the wrong way as I do appreciate all of your input. I do understand the requirements I need to do commercial work with a UAV.
http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... =PC_100377

What I,m looking to do if fly the UAV with the controler and control the Gimbil via the head tracker. As suggested I would need a 3 axis Gimbil, I'm assuming the Arris Cm 3000 might do the job. Also as suggested, I would need a new Tx and Rx, any suggestions?

I'm basically on a fact finding mission to try and work out what I will need/that will work before purchasing anything.

Again...... Thanks again for your input.

Rilot,

I believe you have indirectly answered one of my questions regarding my P2 and FatShark Attitude SD with Head Tracker: no go. Until/unless there is a quality 3-axis gimbal for the P2 (or beyond) platform, head tracking doesn't have a place in the P2 + Zenmuse + GoPro 3+ + Fatshark world. If anyone out there knows otherwise, please chime in.

Kelly

In theory you think "boy would it be cool to have the camera move with the head tracker"

But in reality, it's not really worth pursuing.
I tried connecting, and it just didn't translate well. you're better just using a knob to control camera tilt while flying.

I find this funny instead of just answering this guys question about the HT FPV . You want to tell him the laws that was not his question . Why not just answer what was asked ?
To Op my local RC shop has a HT on a plane the set up looks very bulky and heavy but I did not ask to much about it something I'm just not interested in . I would do some research on it RCgroups is another site to do a search .
Sorry I can't help GL!

Having started to go down the same route, with the same quad some months ago,I would reinforce what others have said. The absence of a 3 axis gimbal for a Phantom is a deal breaker; if the gear doesn't exist to do what you want to do, it really doesn't matter how much you want to do it, you can't. I know there are 3 axis gimbals in the works for small devices like the Phantom, but no joy so far.
The Phantom is too small I think. Even with a Zenmuse & lightweight FPVTx on board, you're close to the max. capability of the platform. Moving up to a 450 will buy you some headroom...not a lot, but some. Going to a 550 puts you into a new strata. I now also have a 550, and it's simply so much more capable, and flexible than the Phantom, it sees much of my shooting time these days.
I won't get rid of the Phantoms; they have a critical role to play in shooting in very tight confines that are not possible with larger machines.

...different craft for different jobs ...

750r said:
I find this funny instead of just answering this guys question about the HT FPV . You want to tell him the laws that was not his question . Why not just answer what was asked ?
To Op my local RC shop has a HT on a plane the set up looks very bulky and heavy but I did not ask to much about it something I'm just not interested in . I would do some research on it RCgroups is another site to do a search .
Sorry I can't help GL!

FINALLY, someone with some sense. I'm glad there was at least one person that got off their high horse and just answered the guys questions instead of REPEATEDLY rambling on about a bunch of laws even after he repeatedly explained that he was up on the laws and just needed THE QUESTION HE WAS ASKING, ANSWERED. Good on you 750r.

I'm researching this same question as I've got a fairly large scale and complex out-of-state production coming up for the U.S Military. By the sounds of what most of the people are saying on this forum, it's not worth pursuing with the phantom. Unfortunate because it "SOUNDS" like it would make for an awesome, and far more reliable and easier way to accomplish the shot exactly how you want it.

Hello all. This is my first post. I'm totally new at RC flying with the exception of some S107 indoor helos.

I've been wondering about the value of a Head Tracker so this thread has been informative. I have a stock P1 and am looking at Fat Shark FPV goggles (on HobbyKing.) Now I know I can remove HT from the equation as I'm comparing models.

I don't need (or have the budget) to get top-of-the-line for the sake of it, but I hate having to upgrade too quickly and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy mastering FPV flight.

Also, I'd like to compare a Zenmuse with an Airy and a Tarot, but that's a question for a different thread. If anyone knows of an existing thread on that topic, a link would be appreciated.

I know this is an older post but I am starting to get into FPV with head tracking and I own a P2V and just ordered a P3Pro. With the addition of the HDMI port upgrade (separate purchase) you can stream the video to any FPV goggles that support HDMI (Fat Shark Dominators HD, Walkera Google 3, and SkyZone V2 and I think the new HeadPlay HD) the head tracking however requires the ability to send the Pan/Tilt/Roll commands through the transmitter on separate available channels (the googles are NOT transmitters). The problem with the DJI remote is that it is proprietary. We don't have access to the extra channels (if there are any) or other channels (such as the tilt control) without hacking the system. There is however a way, but would require a 2nd transmitter (that is compatible with the headtracker you buy) this would require you to parasite off of the battery without adding more weight. The gimble would also have to be either hacked or replaced with one that would attach to the 2nd receiver, that you would have to mount inside the Phantom. Personally I am not going to do all of that, it would be much easier to build your own drone using the DJI NAZA controller and your own radio then you can do just about anything. Anyway I hope this helps others that are doing Google searches finding this thread :)

Reactions: globalcaos

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj