Does Autopilot work with iPad mini 2

Reaction score
Tried to use the orbit function today, but no go.
I'm fairly sure I had everything setup properly.
First issue I got was a warning after pressing engage was that distance from subject greater than 33ft or something close to that message. The aircraft and RC were side by side on the ground.
I decided to go ahead anyway and after the count-down the bird lifted-off to eye-level and hovered with error "failure to take-off".
I assume the take-off failure was due to the previous error.
I then just landed the bird manually.
So I'm just not sure why this happened?

Tried to use the orbit function today, but no go.
I'm fairly sure I had everything setup properly.
First issue I got was a warning after pressing engage was that distance from subject greater than 33ft or something close to that message. The aircraft and RC were side by side on the ground.
I decided to go ahead anyway and after the count-down the bird lifted-off to eye-level and hovered with error "failure to take-off".
I assume the take-off failure was due to the previous error.
I then just landed the bird manually.
So I'm just not sure why this happened?
I tried the Cruise mode yesterday and found the stick controls to get sluggish from time to time. Dangerous.

Let me attempt to answer your question -
It sounds like you had an issue between the altitude of current and target. Did you get an altitude priority error? What height was orbit set? Thought autopilot will engage and launch the bird, I reco launching manually then engaging. This way you can confirm the current altitude.

Thanks for the reply 2nd2non.
Will try manual take-off next time.
It did engage and take-off but only to eye level and then hovered with take-off error.
Are you using Autopilot a lot?
Have you used orbit?

I don't set it up until I'm already in the air on P-GPS mode, once I'm above the subject I flip to F then set up my orbit parameters.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the reply 2nd2non.
Will try manual take-off next time.
It did engage and take-off but only to eye level and then hovered with take-off error.
Are you using Autopilot a lot?
Have you used orbit?
Yes, use AP almost exclusively. I don't typically have a need for orbit, but do occasionally.
Check out this clip I did using waypoint mode in AP.

Reactions: Suntana
Thanks Suntana.
So would "follow" also work?
Just asking because I thought you needed gps on the tablet for Orbit and Follow to work?
I just bought a Garmin glo, you hook up to it via Bluetooth and it is much more accurate and reliable than the gps in the cellular models. The iPad mini 2 (wifi) does not have gps and will not work, unless you do what I have done.

I just bought a Garmin glo, you hook up to it via Bluetooth and it is much more accurate and reliable than the gps in the cellular models. The iPad mini 2 (wifi) does not have gps and will not work, unless you do what I have done.

Orbit does not need gps from tablet. You can orbit around anything you want out there lol.

Wow, excellent work.
Unbelievable scenery.
What video editing software are you using?
Sony movie studio platinum with LUTs. Check out the comments under the videos for more details

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik