Does anyone use the Phantom 2 without a FPV?

Reaction score
It seems like everyone uses some sort of FPV with their Phantoms these days and I was just wondering if anyone has a Phantom 2 with a GoPro that doesn't use a FPV? If so, do you worry about not having telemetry data, battery level, etc., or are you good with just connecting the GoPro to the gimbal and flying away?

I flew without FPV for over a month when I first got my phantom and was piecing together the FPV system. To answer your question no I didn't worry about telemetry data... non-FPV flight tends to be much less distant and battery level is indicated by the LEDs which are clearly visible just bring it home when the green lights go red.
Having to guess about the camera shots sucked... very often I was pointed too high or low.

going back even further, I'm constantly recommending to new pilots here to fly for a bit at first without the gopro/gimbal at all. Chances of a crash while learning are high so why risk all that expensive equipment? Spend some time getting to know the raw device first then add the gimbal and gopro when you're a slightly better pilot and (hopefully) have most of the hot-dogging out of your system :)

Yes.

I fly right now with left-over 'lipstick' style cameras from my CP heli days.

Very lo-res but all I want to do is just FLY. The camera just documents my flights for fun.

Same as QYV. I flew a little over am month without gimbal and GoPro just to learn to fly at reduced risk. Then another few months with camera. I added FPV a few weeks ago and I am really pleased with the add on. Its been the best $750 I have spent and if it flys away I still have a monitor/receiver and a patch antenna.

Mine came fully assembled. I thought about taking the camera and gimbal off for my first flights. Then I couldn't be bothered. I flew with the screen and everything from flight 1. Now at 20 flights I have had no problems.

UrAwFuL said:
My maiden flight was FPV-less, then I crashed. :lol:

haha dork :) I at least waited until my 2nd flight to crash

I use a Gopro3 black/h3-3d to osd mini for FPV. I also have a mini cam glued to the Gopro side cover. Video in to the osd has an added y cable to feed the mini cam. I get RSSi and Battery voltage on my Taranis with Voice warnings :cool:

QYV said:
UrAwFuL said:
My maiden flight was FPV-less, then I crashed. :lol:

haha dork :) I at least waited until my 2nd flight to crash

I did pretty good at first since I had it facing away from me (so Phantom is oriented with my direction), as soon as I had it facing towards me.. it all went downhill, literally, near-missing a parked car. :lol:

yea transitioning to facing-you flight definitely takes practice. The first time I ever let my buddy fly he was fine for a few minutes then got all confident and tried towards-facing flight and went straight into his house. good thing these guys are resilient

I don't have the best eyes. I can hardly see what my phantom is doing when it's just 100 yards away. I would be able fly with the phantom less then 50 yards away in any direction but anything much further then that is shooting craps and wouldn't want to do it.

i learned to fly without it, and maybe its just me, but i think its better to learn without the fpv and once you feel with comfortable and learned about distances, and how close you are to an object (ground, trees, buildings, people, etc) at the distance you may add the fpv just to be sure at what you are shooting.

this obviously if you are planning to do video/photo. if you are for distance the fpv is a must.

Just got my Phantom 2 on Saturday with go pro hero 3+ - I don't have FPV and flew it all weekend. That being said, I also flew regular RC helis as well.... so I am pretty used to "timing" a flight for battery usage and am OK with nose-in orientation. I would like FPV just because I am a gadget freak, but I opted for the iPad ground station setup as my first upgrade instead (love it).

I get some telemetry from the GS but I tend to be used to looking at the bird instead. I will say that the LED's are pretty handy (never had that bright an indicator set on my Trex 500 or 600 :) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20