Does anyone know if a sunshade helps tremendously in the sun

Reaction score
This sunshade helps tremendously viewing phone in direct sun

So I have a hard enough time viewing whats going on in FPV with my phone turned up to the max brightness in direct sunlight. I was going to build one of these until i found one on ebay that is light foldable has straps 4 on each side universal that helps a lot in viewing it when filming. Its still not perfect but I didn't want a metal one and this allows the clips to go thru and attach onto any phone. I tried to get a direct link to the file....just do a search on Sun Hood Sun Shade for DJI Phantom 2 Vision Vision+ Samsung Galaxy HTC iPhone
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... 5db737.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... dbe8f8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/ ... dce6c0.jpg

Attachments

• cover4.jpg
    cover4.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 927
Re: Does anyone know if a sunshade helps tremendously in the

Hi Flyer91,
I tried posting 4 times and each time, got an SQL error trying to post...i didn't know it had actually posted...i deleted all but one other which has the three pics of the shade...does the shade completely resolve the problem..no, it helps maybe 50-70 per cent better....in very bright sunlight you still have a hard time seeing the screen..but i'd rather have the sunscreen than nothing....I haven't flown in a week or so...but am planning on doing some more flying next week..i'll let you know how well it works..again i apologize to the board..i hope they fix the problem trying to post attachments...and i apologize to all the others on this board who have been really helpful to me and have helped me gain insight into this hobby....

abacus01 said:
Hi Flyer91,
I tried posting 4 times and each time, got an SQL error trying to post...i didn't know it had actually posted...i deleted all but one other which has the three pics of the shade...does the shade completely resolve the problem..no, it helps maybe 50-70 per cent better....in very bright sunlight you still have a hard time seeing the screen..but i'd rather have the sunscreen than nothing....I haven't flown in a week or so...but am planning on doing some more flying next week..i'll let you know how well it works..again i apologize to the board..i hope they fix the problem trying to post attachments...and i apologize to all the others on this board who have been really helpful to me and have helped me gain insight into this hobby....

No need for apology at all, IMHO.
If any one should, I'm the one that should apologize here ...... so please consider that done. :oops:

The forum is undergoing some changes and it's suffering some weird glitches, that can be sort'a funny at times. ;)

Yeah ..the shade looks good.
I don't know of anything that will do a perfect job, but like you said ...... any help is certainly better than nothing!

I just wish the folks that invented the Star Trek Tri-Corder could give the smart phone people their non-glare technology.
I mean ... I must'a seen Spock using one many times out under the blazing twins suns of Iludium Primus 471! :)

The best solution I have found is the Moverio glassess. Not inexpensive, but you can view FPV easily in any conditions. I tried a homemade visor but it just didn't make much difference and you find yourself sqinting into a box.

Tails_up. I just got a pair of the BT-200 glasses but I'm having a lot of trouble getting them to find the vision app. It's very difficult to get them to accept a tap on the track pad as a click they either ignore it or take it as multiple clicks. Did you have any troubles with them.

talls_up.
I know about those glasses...but to say they're not expensive...i think they are very expensive...arent they 699.00 a pair...100 bucks is not expensive in my opinion...anyway if they work for you thats great....but you can't move the gimbal up or down with them...nore start and stop the video or take snaps can you?

You are supposed to be able to do all of those . Will let you know once I get them running..

abacus01 said:
talls_up.
I know about those glasses...but to say they're not expensive...i think they are very expensive...arent they 699.00 a pair...100 bucks is not expensive in my opinion...anyway if they work for you thats great....but you can't move the gimbal up or down with them...nore start and stop the video or take snaps can you?
I think he wrote "not inexpensive" not "not expensive". At 699.00, yes they are expensive, but I took the plunge and am quite happy with them. I still wasn't satisfied, so I installed squares of black electrical tape to make the display very bright and vivid. I don't view my phantom through the display, I look around the display. The biggest downside continues to be the clumsy way of adjusting the gimbal. The upcoming mod that allows the 7th channel lever in back of the transmitter will make the glasses near perfect.

As far as a shade or shroud around a tablet display, I did it and wasn't satisfied. I still had a hard time seeing the upper right data, such as battery levels. I wear reading glasses, so looking at the tablet then looking up at the sky with the reading glasses on was not ideal. The Moverio has an insert that allows prescription glasses, and I had my optician fit prescription lenses that work great for the Moverio and seeing the Phantom around the display. 699.00 is not cheap, but being an early adopter always carries a $$ premium. Also, the Google glasses are twice the price and couldn't even be used for FPV.

Wearing dark clothing helps also a bit.
Try this. Wear a white t-shirt and then a black.
Its a stupid idea but just do it and see the difference.

dannytroy. How did you get the touch pad to accept a tap as a click, mine either ignore the tap or take it as multiple clicks. I haven't found how to get to a place to download the vision app. By the way have tried to pm you with the same question but it wouldn't go through
The English Guy

ToThePoint said:
Wearing dark clothing helps also a bit.
Try this. Wear a white t-shirt and then a black.
Its a stupid idea but just do it and see the difference.

Nothing stupid about that, except the fact that I didn't think of that based on the dozens of times I've watched FPV on my Lilliput. Thanks for the light bulb.

Kelly

Sunlight is just a killer on mobile devices and monitors, but everything helps including sunshades. I'd also agree the Movieros are great in sunlight.

There is another option I'm going to be trying at the end of the month, and that's the AMOLED Galaxy Tab S. At least one tech site (either Engadet or TechCruch) said they could clearly see the display in direct sunlight. Anyway, I guess I'll see for myself soon enough. For anyone interested, Amazon is taking preorders for June 26th shipment at $399 for the 8.2 and $499 for the 10.1. Based on the speed alone relative to the Tab 4s ($100 more), these are an excellent value, espeically if those beautiful screens work well in daylight.

The English Guy said:
dannytroy. How did you get the touch pad to accept a tap as a click, mine either ignore the tap or take it as multiple clicks. I haven't found how to get to a place to download the vision app. By the way have tried to pm you with the same question but it wouldn't go through
The English Guy
I hear what you're saying about the touch pad being a little stubborn. I won't be as annoying once I get the lever for the gimbal adjustment installed. Then, you will only have to touch the pad when you want to start recording, or take a photo. It just isn't as responsive as a good cell phone touchpad. Probably in the next generation, when the price drops in half!

As far as installing the app, I'll PM you my email address and I can send you the APK file for the DJI app. Don't know why you couldn't PM me. You can also try doing what was recommended in the last post on this page, where you use the glasses to read the code on the Play Store page, and have the glasses install with the code. I didn't try it but it sounds like an easy way to do the install. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15620&start=70

Dannytroy If you have sent me a pm it hasn't arrived. Anyway my email is [email protected] By the way where did you get the lever to move the camera my controller doesn't have a lever are they hard to find and add.
Thanks

abacus01 said:
talls_up.

You're talking to a guy who had to buy a new P2V+ because he managed to crash his first one :roll: so expensive is a relative thing.
$700 is a mortage payment so certainly not inexpensive. But they are very good at this use. You can do anything with them you can do in the app under other platforms like tilt the camera, start/stop video, etc. The biggest plus is that you can use them in bright sunshine without any problems and watch all the action.

They are also pretty cool for watching movies and such. I plan on taking them on plane flights for entertainment. The resolution isn't HD, but it is good enough for most stuff.

But if I still had a wife, I'd probably still be waiting....

The English Guy said:
Dannytroy If you have sent me a pm it hasn't arrived. Anyway my email is [email protected] By the way where did you get the lever to move the camera my controller doesn't have a lever are they hard to find and add.
Thanks
OK, sent you the file. I also mentioned, and in case anyone else is interested, this is the lever I got:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271457452915?ss ... 1439.l2649

Well made and super cheap. Now I just have to find the mod at a decent price. Dronexpert is too rich for my blood. If they drop the price in half I'm in.

There is no mod for the plus . If there was we all would be using it. Also the DJI lever works great and is cheaper. Like 15.00

Yeah , but he said he was looking do a CHEAPER mod than that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4