Does anyone here want to repair Vision + Gimbals/cables?

Reaction score
Yesterday I broke my 3rd, yes, 3rd Phantom 2 Vision + gimbal. Hey, i am going for the extreme and cool shots, so i get what i get. I am sure I will be buying another fricking $600 gimbal/camera tomorrow AM so i can have my machine up and running in a few days, but now i have three $600 paperweights that need a bit of fixing? In 2 cases, the gimbal broke(and cable tore) where it breaks for everyone, i guess on the "X Axis", and yesterday i think all that got damaged on this 3rd cameral/gimbal is the cable, because i can see a scuff on it, and the camera does the dance.

I plan to call the dealers on the west coast to see if they can fix them, but after reading all the comments here on a few threads, it sounds like there are some very capable people here that maybe can help.

Or if you know of a dealer that likes to fix these things, please let me know.

Thanks!

Evan

I think there is someone making a replacement gimbal now. And you can get ribbon cable by themselves.

Don't you think you should learn how to fly this thing ? Extreme shots ? What are you doing that crashes these things so much ?
They practically fly themselves , enlighten us . Plus those prop guards are not helping you at all, they could be part of the problem.

NapaEvan said:
Yesterday I broke my 3rd, yes, 3rd Phantom 2 Vision + gimbal. Hey, i am going for the extreme and cool shots, so i get what i get. I am sure I will be buying another fricking $600 gimbal/camera tomorrow AM so i can have my machine up and running in a few days, but now i have three $600 paperweights that need a bit of fixing? In 2 cases, the gimbal broke(and cable tore) where it breaks for everyone, i guess on the "X Axis", and yesterday i think all that got damaged on this 3rd cameral/gimbal is the cable, because i can see a scuff on it, and the camera does the dance.

I plan to call the dealers on the west coast to see if they can fix them, but after reading all the comments here on a few threads, it sounds like there are some very capable people here that maybe can help.

Or if you know of a dealer that likes to fix these things, please let me know.

Thanks!

Evan

I would give it a try but I am in Australia.. :(

Frank... Thanks for the reply. I see that there is a company out of Europe making a replacement gimbal that will allow us to use a Go Pro on the Phantom 2 Vision Plus... but not for a few more weeks. That may be the route i will take when possible. And yea, i see i can buy the cables online, for a wide price range, so that will be an option too.

But i would trust someone else more than myself if there is someone who has done this a few times. I would think there is someone with an electronics/rc background who would be able to take care of this. But, maybe not because this product is so new.

Mori... :)... yea, I deserve that. And i will respond honestly because hopefully someone will learn from my pain. They do fly themselves, so as long as I stay away from trees, power lines, and tractors i am fine. However, As a new RC copter operator, it is hard not to try new things sometimes, right? When i tell myself to stay in open space, i have no problems, but when i let myself try a new, spontaneous, unplanned shot, that's when i run into problems. Literally. I am sure you know what i mean, and maybe you have been there, done that. After taking out my second camera gimbal a month ago I made myself slow down and simplify my shots. That worked just fine until 2 days ago when i was flying along an uphill & turning driveway getting a shot of heavy equipment parked along the side of the road. I was standing in a spot where i didn't have the best view of the Phantom, and i thought it would clear the tractor. Unfortunately the Phantom hit the top of an excavator arm and a hydraulic line scratched the ribbon cable as the copter went down. I was standing in a bad spot, it was hot as heck and i had run up the hill twice so i was tired and in a rush, and i was trying to get a smooth shot despite the wind and complex angle. Lessons learned... the hard way.

As for the prop guards, i know a bunch of you don't like them, but i like to be able to fly with them. They allow me to use this device in tight spaces, and also provide a bit of safety when flying near people on private property. Because this is not a $5,000, 5 pound octocopter with large carbon fiber spinning blades, for me, I am enjoying the challenge of flying this Phantom in unique places. Maybe i should take them off though just to force myself to stay in open space :)

Have a great day, Evan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.