Do You Use Your P2V+ For Work?

Reaction score
I'll be using it to take aerials of environmental project sites and use the photos and videos for business development purposes. I'm lucky in that my company recently bought a P2V+ (based on my recommendation) and assigned me as "drone pilot". Am currently training on it on my own time (yeah.. twist my arm) since I have other responsibilities in the office. It's so sad that my home chores have suffered from this.

No one will admit on the Internets that they use it for work/business purposes, since, according to the FAA, that would be illegal.. :eek:

As a video production company we would never use this outstanding video device to shoot video that is totally unique all the while saving thousands of dollars of production costs in the process and that would cause us to be in violation of FAA rules.

Channel70Productions said:
As a video production company we would never use this outstanding video device to shoot video that is totally unique all the while saving thousands of dollars of production costs in the process and that would cause us to be in violation of FAA rules.
hahahahaha... love it!!

I shoot video or take photos as a hobby, and then I have an anonymous friend who owns a full size helicopter shoot identical video and photos for my commercial work. I don't know his name, and he's out of the country on vacation right now.

Sauce said:
I shoot video or take photos as a hobby, and then I have an anonymous friend who owns a full size helicopter shoot identical video and photos for my commercial work. I don't know his name, and he's out of the country on vacation right now.

We use the same helo and pilot. Amazing.

MapMaker53 said:
I'll be using it to take aerials of environmental project sites and use the photos and videos for business development purposes. I'm lucky in that my company recently bought a P2V+ (based on my recommendation) and assigned me as "drone pilot". Am currently training on it on my own time (yeah.. twist my arm) since I have other responsibilities in the office. It's so sad that my home chores have suffered from this.

lol I love the replies in this thread.

Have you checked out Agisoft Photoscan? I've given the demo a whirl. It's a fantastic piece of software, so you put your P2V+ on a camera timer, set it on a waypoint path across one of your sites, and then use the imagery collected to create a 3d topical surface map. You can even export contour maps, although the problem with this method is that it will count surface objects like trees as part of the land elevation.

The Indiana county that I live in has actually retained the services of a video company to shot promotional video with a drone over the next year. They will be shooting video of the county and events in the county for a tourism video. This was mentioned on the front page of the local Sunday paper. I used the term drone because that was what was repeatedly used in the article. I would post the link but it is one of those news sites that you have to subscribe to in order to read the full article.

MapMaker53 said:

Isnt it amazing that what you just said, as innocent as it sounds, is illegal? Im in the same situation. I have a Phantom and want to use it to take aerials of our design work but since im an employee of the company doing drafting work i cannot legally take any photos of our work.

Exactly, how does that regulation work? If pictures are taken by an individual company for use at that company, is that against the rules be put out? What if I just like taking pictures of my work area?

Did I say my company bought it for me? Well, technically, I bought it with my own credit card and it was delivered to my home address under my name and I have the receipt and paperwork to prove it. So it's technically my own personal item. (Someday maaaybee my company will reimburse me.) I'm not too worried about the FAA restrictions regarding commercial use. Those regulations are bound to be modified. This prohibition (which is currently being challenged in court by others) is just a stop gap measure as the government panics and tries to put some reasonable and workable laws together. Frankly, I think it more likely that the law will eventually flip, allowing limited licensed commercial use and severely restricting private use. Businesses are more likely to use drones in a responsible manner rather than risk fines, lawsuits, and bad press if they do not, while individuals tend to be loose canons who very often do stupid and dangerous things with them. Just my opinion. It might be helpful to this sport if a drone group would preempt the law makers and come up with an extensive set of rules for flying drones that make sense and protects public safety and privacy as guidelines that the government might opt to adopt.

Absolutely not. I only use my drone for recreation and pleasure. It's not like I purchased this with plans to get a decent ROI from an initial capital investment or anything. And I certainly haven't contemplated creating a business around this and marketing to Realtors who list high end homes within a 30 mile radius of me every day.

Nope, never - because the FAA is such a bright and dynamic organization filled with talented and intelligent people who adequately understand the ramifications of each and every decision they make. And I certainly believe that their every decision should be carefully studied and adhered to in every sense of the word, because they really know what they're doing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1