Do You Shoot In Wide View Or Medium

Reaction score
Also, how do you get your stills/photos? Do you use the simultaneous video and photo mode? Just pull screenshots from the video? Use the mode with the timer for intervals between pictures? What gives best resolution?

Wide view or medium?

I have a P2V and so can shoot either stills and videos but not simultaneously, so I take one or the other. I get really good stills, which is what I want, especially after I correct the fish eye effect with Photoshop. The P2V doesn't have a gimbel, so I don't usually shoot videos because they can be a little shaky.

I assume you are talking about the GoPro 3 (3+) here and not another camera?

If you are talking about the GP then I usually shoot in Medium FOV at 1080p. The GP sensor is 3840 pixels wide so capturing at medium utilises the center part of the sensor but still oversamples above 1080. You are still getting full 1080 resolution (actually downsampled slightly) so are not losing anything (well actually it's a lot more complicated than that but not for the scope of this forum so best to keep it very simplistic !!!).

Also barrel distortion is lessened over wide but you still maintain a decent FOV.

For video, 2.7K (Cine for 24fps, regular for 30fps) in Wide mode on the GoPro Black 3+. You get extra pixels to stabilize, remove distortion and reframe with, and still get a 1080p output file. At this resolution, I haven't had any issues with props dipping into the frame either, unless I'm looking dead ahead and pitched far forward for speed or wind compensation.

You can set the GoPro to take stills on an interval while it's recording video, but that interrupts the FPV signal, so I avoid it. If I need stills, I'll pull them from the video, but it is admittedly a much lower quality than dedicated stills, even at 2.7K resolution. If you don't have an FPV setup, then that's obviously not an issue, but it's much harder to frame the shots.

i actually use narrow, & have it take a picture every 5 seconds. Once i've got the retracts sorted i'm hoping to experiment with 1080superwide

Always shoot as narrow as you can unless you like the fisheye look. 1080, narrow. 2.7, medium. 4K (as if anyone can do anything useful with 4K), wide.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik