Do you guys calibrate your compass every flight?

I don't.

The official advise I've seen from DJI was that you calibrate it when there is something looks wrong with how it hovers or if you change location by a long distance (hundreds of miles/km).

My feeling is that if you calibrate it every time you are more likely to cause a problem as you might not notice you are stood next to something that causes interference with the process.

I've only calibrated it once when I first got it four months ago and haven't had to do it again,
Even with flying with it to different states in the country I haven't had to recalibrate the compass that is.

I've only done mine twice, as others have said if it ain't broke why fix it cos by fixing it you are increasing the chances of breaking it. ;)

I think I have calibrated three times. On the first flight, once for firmware upgrade, then once for the FJ8 receiver install. I am approaching 1 year with my Phantom. I have flown in a lot of different places far away from where I have calibrated. The last time I calibrated was in December, in my house. Everything seems just fine. She is rock solid, even in the wind.

I calibrate before every flight. If I'm switching batteries and taking off from the same spot, I'll probably skip it.

I figure the flipside to something going wrong while you calibrate is something going wrong in any of the days between flight, particularly if you're transporting it.

ElGuano said:
I calibrate before every flight. If I'm switching batteries and taking off from the same spot, I'll probably skip it.

I figure the flipside to something going wrong while you calibrate is something going wrong in any of the days between flight, particularly if you're transporting it.

I usually only calibrate if things seem a little wonky during my initial flight check. If I'm ten feet up and it's wandering around a bit... I'll do the dance.

Weirdly... Today I danced with my P2V for the first time in a few weeks, and it was the ONLY time where everything went the way it should. Previously I'd get green, amber... amber... amber... after the dance as the aircraft continued to hunt for GPS sats. Today... it was exactly as described in the documentation.

I'm fully upgraded and have all of the restrictions in place... but I have had absolutely no problems. I've had two extended flights and I've tested nearly everything that I CAN test... This is one of the very first P2V machines to come off the line and has all of the scary initial hardware. There are a number of things I haven't done, including flying beyond view and over water... But.. that being said... I've gotten well over 400 feet altitude and 400 feet away from home point and I've flown to nearly forty MPH.

No problems. (I probably shouldn't have said this as tomorrow I may very well start a new flyaway thread...) :shock: :shock: :shock:

-slinger

When flying from a new location or the first flight of the day, the Phantom is turned on set on the ground and home and course established, then the compass calibrated. Each subsequent battery from that location, I'll wait for home and course then take off.

I used to but then I heard a few tidbits I will pass along. I fly in many locations that vary but the same geographic location most of the time. I calibrated EVERY TIME religiously.

I recently had a great opportunity to sit with some DJI experts, this was a topic and they said not to do this. Once calibrated in a known good area (no interference, power wires, metal in soil, metal buildings ECT) Then Leave it alone unless a change or issue is encountered. I have been following this practice with no issues thus far. You never know what can effect a calibration so if you are in a good area then go with it and leave it.

I personally do not have a soil sampler but if the region is not known for Iron Mining I think your good. In urban areas or parks you just never really know what is under the ground. Calibrate and if you do not have issues when you move to a new area in the same Geo. Leave it.

Rarely, do it occasionally, would definitely do it if flying it at a location far from my usual haunts.

I always fly forward, back, left, right after takeoff. If I notice anything weird then I would calibrate.

Only time I had an issue was taking off from the storage case. I have too many metal gadgets in there and the thing ended up flipping on takeoff. Compass got confused.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav