Do you fly with nicked props?

Reaction score
On landing Monday, my Phantom tipped forward and skinned the front two props. Took a little nick out of each one.

I'm not really comfortable flying with them like this, so I'll replace out of my spares. I need to order more spares, but the ones listed on Amazon seem sketchy - not sure if they are genuine parts. Descriptions say 9" props, but mine clearly measure out to 9.5".
So I need a reputable supplier, preferably on the east coast.

But I wanted to ask if anyone flies with minor nicks, nubs, skinned or with tiny cracks? The material seems fairly forgiving. I imagine if the defects were minor, and you weren't seeing any vibration, it may be OK to fly with tiny defects.

I have done. I used a dubro balancer (and rod) to see how off balance they might be and it was negligible on those even with a visible nick. I just sanded flat any raised edges and flew on until i got a replacement set. No more noticeable vibration than normal.

no. nicks. dents. chips. cuts. any damage to the props is bad. damaged props cause vibration. vibrations are bad. a week soldering point can vibrate free. this is a good way to cause a flyaway. this would also be a pilot error flyaway. a few months ago someone had a fly away because their RX came disconnected due to heavy vibrations because he was flying with a cracked prop. he blamed dji but it wasn't there fault.

unless you put them on a balancer and spin it at the same RPM they will spin in the air, you will not be able to tell they are off balance. plus props are cheap. buy a dozen on ebay. why risk it?

It's more a case of having to rather than wanting to!
I used a vibration analyser and bench ran (admittedly without full load) to pick the best four and got the job done. Like I said I had a set on order but until Amazon really do arrange immediate delivery via drone (!) then I had a choice - don't get the job done or get the job done.

I ordered enough extra genuine DJI props from my dealer to give me 3 full sets. I've broken one prop (my fault, thought it would be cool to land on my flight case - actual talent level/talent level required ratio all wrong) and have balanced the others with Glen's balancing rod. 50% were in balance from the factory, 50% were not.

I personally wouldn't fly with a prop that had more than very minor nicks along the leading edge - if running a finger along it means I can actually feel snagging then I'd bin it. It could well be fine but as I've got the spares I don't want to risk an in-flight prop failure. If I didn't have spares handy and it was a beautiful day and I hadn't flown for ages.... hmmm! :)

Landing always used to be a cause for some anxiety and I have had several wobbly ones and one complete fall over, fortunately this was on soft muddy ground so no damage was done. I now exclusively land by hand, it is really easy and takes all the stress out. (apols for being slightly off topic).

Generally I've had an easy time of landing. In this case, it was very windy, and I was trying to plant it on the sidewalk, but I was a bit off and it landed on the edge, thus tipping it over. Normally I land on the grass, which I find to be less bouncy, and therefore less prone to falling over.

I did manage one catch when it was auto-landing and I thought the dog was going to grab it. It was easy to catch it, but it is kind of dangerous to do with those spinning blades near your face.

Not sure why the landing gear is designed as it is - doesn't make alot of sense unless other than maybe cost savings. Curved legs that are much wider at the base would make for better landing gear.

After adding a 3-axis gimbal I've had some very bad vibrations, but mainly when gaining altitude. I thought perhaps it was some nicked up props so I put new ones on. Same thing.

The real danger using damaged props, even if rebalanced, is that they
are more likely to break off a significant piece of the prop when at speed
and under load. In the wrong circumstances, somebody might get a piece
of a blade stuck into their body, head, eye, etc. With a tiny nick, sanded
smooth, and balanced, somewhat less of a risk... usually.

Now that I've got my P2 up and running, I have a few spare sets of props (and several 8" sets) so I would not normally use a damaged prop. I would consider putting 8" props on the P2 if necessary (I think they would fit but haven't tried them). Like the OP, if I had to, I would if I convinced myself that damage was minor - but I would replace them as soon as a spare set (or 3) arrived from Amazon. Fortunately, I have not had to. I was using prop guards when I was first flying the Phantom but I've taken them off (8" guards, but I put 9" props on the P1 so.. no point). The prop guards saved damaged propellers twice and I'm glad I had them. Lately, my abilities have improved and I've not had a close call with the Phantom tipping over on landing.

Nope, I will replace them before the next flight. I always bring an extra set with me for this very reason. Why on earth would I want to risk a $1200 drone over a $10 replacement part :D

After my crash I noticed that the props were scuffed up but looked ok. After starting engines and reving them up I noticed some cavitation so I replaced them. The replacement props are so cheap anyway.
Moose

pault said:
Landing always used to be a cause for some anxiety and I have had several wobbly ones and one complete fall over, fortunately this was on soft muddy ground so no damage was done. I now exclusively land by hand, it is really easy and takes all the stress out. (apols for being slightly off topic).

Yep I agree about the hand landings. I have done about 10 flights thus far and I'm still on my original props without any damage at all as I always hand land unless it is a totally calm day and I'm landing on perfectly flat ground on a football/cricket ground.

I always approach the phantom from behind, with wind behind my back, around eye level and slow creep up and grab one leg while throttling down engines with the other hand. Works really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djayz said:
Yep I agree about the hand landings. I have done about 10 flights thus far and I'm still on my original props without any damage at all as I always hand land unless it is a totally calm day and I'm landing on perfectly flat ground on a football/cricket ground.

I always approach the phantom from behind, with wind behind my back, around eye level and slow creep up and grab one leg while throttling down engines with the other hand. Works really well.
I took my wife out with me on Sunday so she could see the PV2 flying for the first time. It was the hand landing that impressed her the most - never mind my showing off with low level flypasts, nearly perfect circles and other stuff. All she could talk about afterwards was the way I grabbed it out of the air.

Yes, I have, and promptly got scolded by my brother who used to fly rc helos before they had gyros and all that crutches :mrgreen:

He said something about micro cracks and the potential of them breaking mid-flight. Perhaps you could delve into the pliability of the materials used and whatnot, but since we're talking about (fairly) cheap component which is critical to the operation and wellbeing of a much more expensive item, then it's a no brainer.

LeoS said:
Yes, I have, and promptly got scolded by my brother who used to fly rc helos before they had gyros and all that crutches :mrgreen:

He said something about micro cracks and the potential of them breaking mid-flight. Perhaps you could delve into the pliability of the materials used and whatnot, but since we're talking about (fairly) cheap component which is critical to the operation and wellbeing of a much more expensive item, then it's a no brainer.

Yes some years ago I was at my local RC flying club and witnessed a 60 size ic helicopter explode in mid flight, this was due to a blade failure... Using blades that have been scuffed, dinged or dented is a sure good way of kissing good bye to your PV.. I agree it really is a no brainer considering the minimal cost of a set of blade's for one of these things...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20