Do you fly the p3 without a monitor?

Reaction score
I love the p3 but sometimes I just want to an and fly it, without seeing up the phone/tablet.

Do you guys fly 'commando' sometimes?

Every time I fly. My Adroid DJI Pilot display freezes with a NullPointerException in the java code. The internals of the app continue to record but the lightbridge video and stats do not update. Sucks so bad but until I can get a better tab I stay close to LOS.

hum till now i did not even know the p3 could be flown with out some some of monitor. Tho it seems like it would be imposable to use the camera that way. and if I were to just wan to fly just to fly for the fun of flying I would much rather pull out one of my older ones and not risk the p3 for that.

Every time I fly. My Adroid DJI Pilot display freezes with a NullPointerException in the java code. The internals of the app continue to record but the lightbridge video and stats do not update. Sucks so bad but until I can get a better tab I stay close to LOS.

What device are you using?

A bit like flying my old Phantom 1 before upgrades and additions then....never knew what it was doing, now I do, so I always fly with one.

Do you guys fly 'commando' sometimes?
Only when I forget my effing lightning cable. I still forget that sometimes, too used to P2V+

I wouldn't suggest flying blind though, as it's hard to have perspective and I ended up having a collision with a solid object and bent my gimbal yaw arm. Thankfully I was able to fix it and was easier to fix that I thought it might be.

What device are you using?
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 rooted with CF-AutoRoot. I think I need to just wipe it, reload the factory rom and start over. I prefer it rooted because it allows me to delete all the bloatware but it may be interfering with the app. Not sure.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 rooted with CF-AutoRoot. I think I need to just wipe it, reload the factory rom and start over. I prefer it rooted because it allows me to delete all the bloatware but it may be interfering with the app. Not sure.

Try downgrading Google Play Services component as it appears to help in the majority of cases
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/check-out-this-guys-near-miss-with-rth.48031/page-2#post-450666
There's a lot of bloat with the Samsung devices, but I don't think they're really using up that many resources in the grand scheme of things - the pilot app is a CPU hog. I used a custom rom and it's not made much if any difference.

Edit: If DJI can't fix the app in time, your best bet would be to get an iPad AIr 2 or iPad mini 2 or above. I hate Apple so on't really want to go down this route.

Try downgrading Google Play Services component as it appears to help in the majority of cases
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/check-out-this-guys-near-miss-with-rth.48031/page-2#post-450666
There's a lot of bloat with the Samsung devices, but I don't think they're really using up that many resources in the grand scheme of things - the pilot app is a CPU hog. I used a custom rom and it's not made much if any difference.
I've been reviewing the Crashlog.txt files and it seems to be a nullpointerexception causing Java to crash. For some reason DJI Pilot is using a reference that points to no.location in memory (Null) instead of an object. I'm still reviewing the values to try and determine which are causing the exception. It always happens around the 3 minute mark of my flight.

I'm going to create a AVD in the Android SDK that replicates my Tab as close as possible to test thePilot App make sure it's not just my device. I wish I had the DJI SDK as well but I aint got time for that right now

I'm going to create a AVD in the Android SDK that replicates my Tab as close as possible to test thePilot App make sure it's not just my device. I wish I had the DJI SDK as well but I aint got time for that right now

You could try but you're not really going to be able to replicate the environment, as I doubt you can get USB debugging going on a PC interface in order to plug in the RC. I was considering trying on Bluestacks, but then I thought bugger that, my Surface Pro 3 would be too heavy to use as a tablet.

I doubt it's your device. The Google Play Services downgrade might be your ticket, just a pain if you use the other google suite of apps on the same device as some will no longer be able to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Cruise
You could try but you're not really going to be able to replicate the environment, as I doubt you can get USB debugging going on a PC interface in order to plug in the RC. I was considering trying on Bluestacks, but then I though bugger that, my Surface Pro 3 would be to heavy to use as a tablet.

I doubt it's your device. The Google Play Services downgrade might be your ticket, just a pain if you use the other google suite of apps on the same device as some will no longer be able to run.
True. Rarely does the everything work in the emulated environment. OK I downgraded the Google Play Services. I'm going to go fly it around the pasture real quick

Reactions: ScottyT
Good luck. Watch out for drunk chicks
You are a frikin genius Scotty!! Freezing issue SOLVED!!!! 4 full battery flights and not a single display issue!! However, I didn't have an SD card in so tomorrow I'll record at 4K but it was better than I have had since I started flying. Thanks mate!!

You are a frikin genius Scotty!! Freezing issue SOLVED!!!! 4 full battery flights and not a single display issue!! However, I didn't have an SD card in so tomorrow I'll record at 4K but it was better than I have had since I started flying. Thanks mate!!

No worries brother. Hopefully DJI can sort their app out so we don't have to employ silly workarounds like this on Android. It's a CPU hog.

Reactions: Ken Cruise
I never fly the Phantom 3 blind...
Even though some of you may not like the Apple brand, for what ever reasoning. The DJI Pilot App runs very smooth on my iPad Air 2 64GB cellular device. No video lag or freeze, and the iPad Air doesn't even get warm after several batteries. The iPad Mini 2, I had tried out for only a couple weeks, would be cooking hot after only 10min battery worth of flying. Seems the A8X iPad Air 2 processor can handle what the Phantom 3 radio throws at it with ease.
I can see why...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A8X
Plus the Anti-glare screen makes quite a difference from the mirror of the Mini 2, while flying outdoors on a bright day.

Bigger screen is easier to follow, just a nicer all around package to use.
Worth the extra payout. I should get a commission. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Worth the extra payout. I should get a commission. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Hah, I think DJI should be getting a commission for inadvertently giving the Android platform a bad name though their inefficient software/firmware programming.

I've seen a lot of accounts of customers saying they didn't have any lag until the 1.1.9 firmware hit the shelves. If not just coincidental and otherwise just because of the higher summer temps for some users, then it's something that can be fixed for all platforms.

Time will tell, RHP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers