Do you break in your Lipos? Here's how...

Reaction score
Do you break in your new lipos? See how...

Drone Camps RC shows new pilots how to break in a new battery for a more efficient and long lasting battery. See how to get a healthier battery out of your new lipo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Good video, especially for new comers to the hobby who have little or no lipo experience.
Respect the lipo. :cool:

If Lipo batteries are a fire hazard and should stored in a fire proof container. Then why must a DJI smart battery with a full charge not be stored if fire proof box until said battery has auto discharged? Drone Camps video doesn't make a whole lot of sense.:confused: If the battery has an auto discharge feature after 10 days then what better place to store it than in a fire proof container.

Guess if you leave it out and five days later it causes a fire that's ok.:eek: And everything in the fire proof box is safe.:rolleyes::D

If Lipo batteries are a fire hazard and should stored in a fire proof container. Then why must a DJI smart battery with a full charge not be stored if fire proof box until said battery has auto discharged? Drone Camps video doesn't make a whole lot of sense.:confused: If the battery has an auto discharge feature after 10 days then what better place to store it than in a fire proof container.

Guess if you leave it out and five days later it causes a fire that's ok.:eek: And everything in the fire proof box is safe.:rolleyes::D
I think he is saying is "don't store your fully charged batteries", but rather to discharge them properly first because storing them charged leads to problems. I don't think he is advocating you wait for them to do it themselves before storing them. Mine go into an ammo can any time they are not in use.

I disagree. P2 smart batteries have an auto discharge feature that after 10 days they will to a safe level. If I have five fully charged batteries and find I have leave home within 30 minutes for 2 weeks where do you think those batteries are going.

In that video 1:58 he makes a statement to never store a fully charged smart battery in a fire proof container. And I am not referring the lipo batteries used in say the FC40 or the Phantom1 as they do not have the auto discharge feature.

Yeah, I figured that was what you were referring to. I still take it as he's just saying "it's not a good idea" but not conveying his thoughts very well. Maybe your right and your take on it is correct. I too do just what you have described on occasion... fully charged and put into the can. Like I said, "they are in use, or in the can".

WOW I see a lot of people now referring to the smart battery's as if they ALL have the self discharge in them. which could cause many people to think that theirs has it even if they dont have the latest ones that have that feature. also being its not good to store lipos fro that long full charged even if some one has on that will discharge it after 2 weeks its still not a good ideal to rely on that. If any thing thats just a catch for the times when some one forgets to take care of the battery and also not good to relay on stuff that is made by dji that you need to trust works esp any thing in there stupid smart battery's. Which are already notorious for going from being smart to all the sudden without warning going to full on ****** as it is already. I know I would not want to be the first one to see what happens once the first self discharge goes horribly wrong.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Is there ANY scientific evidence or hard data that this isn't just a placebo ?
It looks like when people used to (some still do) format the cache and dalvik partition TWO TIMES because it helps if run better in their eyes. ...
I'm a complete beginner with the Phantom 3 Advanced so I may be wrong here. I am however experienced in flying quads (basically every day for the last year from pico to Nano to micro to 200 and 350 sized ). I do store my batteries under 60% of their charge. ..but I never noticed worse performance on a set of batteries that weren't broken-in VS those that were.

Am I missing something here ? Just ignore my arrogance ,I am really interested in the answer.

Thank you!

EDIT: oops I didn't realise this thread was that old...sorry

I think the idea is you don't want to use your new battery hard right out of the box. You want to use it gently while it's new. This is advice from people who have a lot more experience in Lipos than I do, and it makes sense to me.

I'm no expert, but I have been using Lipo batteries in R/C cars that I've raced for over 7 or 8 years. Just my personal experience with Lipos;

Of the dozens and dozens of lipos I've had I've followed some basic rules and have never had one "explode" or erupt in flames.

I use a smart charger one with a balancing plug. (Not on the Phantom batteries as the plug is different and so is the "smart" part of the battery). I never leave my batteries charging unattended. Meaning I'm somewhere in the house so I can periodically check on them. I've never used a lipo charging bag.

I never leave my batteries fully charged, especially if I'm storing for a long duration and during those long storage period have never had one "puff" or lose a cell. I usually just store them in their "need a charge state" after running them. I learned the hard way 8 years ago, when I stored them like NiCds, fully charged, a couple of my Lipos puffed and were not usable. When I store them for a long period of time, like several months, they are stored in a ammo can in a cool dry place.

I'm fairly new to the Quad scene and while looking for my R/C tools I came across my Lipo Battery ammo can for the cars. They had been sitting for a few years. I inspected them and found none of them to be "puffed" up or damaged. I charged a couple of them which took a full charge and ran them in one of my last remaining cars. Seemed to run fine. Admittedly I didn't time the batteries, but they worked.

I've never broken-in lipos. But did notice that they performed better after about half a dozen charges. Since I was racing, I did monitor how long they lasted before dropping off in power. After a half dozen charges they seemed to last a little longer at peak power (under a minute gain).

Just my .02 with Lipos...

Last edited:
First, DronesEtc put out some great videos and they are very well done.

In this case, I don't agree with lipo battery "break in" as they mention. I've done a _lot_ of reading on this and lipo's in general. I think this "break in" is left in people's heads from prior battery technology. Lipo batteries don't develop memory as older tech did... but they do have some similar issues.

I think DJI's recommendations on usage is spot on. Charge up to 100% and fly down to around 30%. After 20 cycles, take down to 8% and charge up to 100%.

The issue with DJI's smart batteries is that they can start to "think" 30% - 100% is 0% to 100%. Taking them down to 8% (should never completely drain a lipo battery) resets the "smart" firmware into knowing where 8% (or as low as the battery should go) is and where 100% is.

Again, I don't agree with any "break in" only _resetting_ the battery every so often.

Reactions: QuadBart

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic