Do these work?

yes

Yes. They improve the signal by "catching" it "better"... thats the technical explanation. :D

I've been getting low signal at about 3200 feet in an urban area and was looking to improve it a bit. I don't have the cash to add one of those crazy powered extenders.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I purchased a pair myself a while back. They do in fact help "focus " the signal in the direction of your AC assuming you are facing your antenna towards your bird the entire time.

I too was in the same predicament and in a heavily congested area I was only getting approximately 1800 feet. In using this windsurfer I can generally get approximately 3200 ft. I did not want to purchase one of those booster antenna for a couple of different reasons. The first being I didn't think I could modify the controller myself since I lacked experience.

I purchased a set of these, love them. From my house i could get about 2k out due to interference. I can now get 5-10k+ with these, seriously awesome. Its worth the $20 for sure :)

edit: these two video's were possible due to these windsurfers. I can fly much further.
Top of the Mountain to Ya!

Reactions: liketogethigh
I purchased a set from Amazon, they work fantastic well worth the $20 I paid for them

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

They are bang for buck!

Anyone recommend one over the other? They have a few different ones on Amazon

How the F@#& did you get that kind of distance? Is that with the newest firmware? What are your settings as for channels etc? Manual? Auto? With windsurfers I max out at around 5600 feet. I loose signal and video at about the same time.

I purchased a set of these, love them. From my house i could get about 2k out due to interference. I can now get 5-10k+ with these, seriously awesome. Its worth the $20 for sure :)

edit: these two video's were possible due to these windsurfers. I can fly much further.
Top of the Mountain to Ya!

Reactions: Digdat0
Most days I can get 6,000'. I did manage 10k feet on a good day (low Kp) using only stock antennas. With the 3D printed wind surfers I made I get a respectable 8-9k feet, even on not so good Kp days. The tress are in full leaf now so thats quite a bit of the problem over the winder 10k run I made (see drone video link in sig if you want to see the 10k run).

Kp?

Most days I can get 6,000'. I did manage 10k feet on a good day (low Kp) using only stock antennas. With the 3D printed wind surfers I made I get a respectable 8-9k feet, even on not so good Kp days. The tress are in full leaf now so thats quite a bit of the problem over the winder 10k run I made (see drone video link in sig if you want to see the 10k run).

That is awesome. Which firmware?

Are the windsurfers all the same I was asking if anyone knows the difference between them all.

How the F@#& did you get that kind of distance? Is that with the newest firmware? What are your settings as for channels etc? Manual? Auto? With windsurfers I max out at around 5600 feet. I loose signal and video at about the same time.
This is the latest firmware on my p3p, 1.8 on the latest Dji go. I have windsurfers and hold my remote up heh. The neighborhood I'm in has only 1 row of houses behind me, then it's field and river and mountain. I think this helps a lot, little interference but using th wind surfers is key. But I go out on location and I can get 15k-20k feet easy using my windsurfers with good reception the whole way. I think I got a good bird and strong remote. I use auto channels and just fly, nothing special.

View attachment 56885
Actually it was 1478 feet away the entire flight was 3200

Bought the exact same ones myself from Amazon for £5.99, would only get 2000ft stock before signal warnings and at this money I thought I'd give them a try, first time of using them I sailed straight up to and past 10000ft with not one single warning, God only knows how much further it could of gone, you will need to keep facing your bird though because these boosters obviously become directional, if you turn away like I did to grab a screen shot it will instantly loose signal and initiate RTH although you can cancel that when you line up again, all in all a cheap and cheerful way to boost your distance, I recommend all day long

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic