Do the new P4 batteries need conditioning?

Phantom batteries do not need to be broken in. DJI has never recommended such a procedure.

I'd Rather err on the side of caution, what about you?
Even on sale, these battery packs are pricey...

RedHotPoker

I'd Rather err on the side of caution, what about you?
Would you agree that very few people attempt to break in their batteries? If so, how many of those people have complained that their batteries have died prematurely? I see very few cases of people reporting battery issues (not counting unbalanced cells).

I would need far more flights to see a significant change, but still think if there is a way to help preserve flight battery longevity, why not give it some faith? As far as statistics, if you don't break them in, and then have premature failure, who are you going to tell? Save face, buy more packs and move on... ;-)
I have four intelligent flight batteries and two 100w chargers, so using mine, down to 50% charge was quite painless.

Getting the most flight time per flight pack is important, but for me, not at the cost of shortening battery life. YMMV

RedHotPoker

From what I read lipo manufactuers say it is not neccessary, that being said test show that the dept of discharge will affect the amoung of battery cycles it can take. If you discharge a lipo to only 50% it may increase the possible amount of charge cycles of the battery 300%, lipo does nor suffer from cycle memory. So if you don't have to bring to the battery down real low exept when you really got to get home, don't do it. Lipo can take lots of small charge cycles. The way I see it if you do a brake in of the battery you do no harm. Does it help? Not really proven for lipo, dificult to measure theres to many variables that affect battery life. But we all like to stay up there as long as we can and for that I'm guilty too. I would try not to go under 10% unless you have no choice and never charge them when there hot. If they could just develop graphene batteries we would stay up for hours not minutes!

So I guess these guys are Bullsh!tting us all then?
What is the Lipo Break-In Cycle for the Intelligent Flight Battery? - Phantom Guide
What is the Lipo Break-In Cycle for the Intelligent Flight Battery?
The break-in for the Intelligent Flight Battery is the same as for all Lipo’s uses in hi discharge scenarios like multirotor craft.

1: When you get the battery, fully charge it.
2: Fly the aircraft until 50% battery remains. Land
3: When cooled, charge the battery to 100% again and repeat step 2.
4: Repeat this procedure 10 times.

It will not makes your battery live forever and eventually you will need another but will keep the battery healthy. Also remember the battery care guide that’s available to download from DJI.

RedHotPoker

I'm curious.. If the batteries required "conditioning" why isn't that mentioned in the manual.

Charge it 100 fly it... Monitor the voltage land it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1