Do the maps in the GS software contain elevation?

Reaction score
Example: I'm at sea level and 200 yards away is large hill that has a altitude at its peak of 3000 feet. When I draw a waypoint from sea level to a point on the top of the hill and set it for 100 feet, will it stay 100 feet above the ground as it moves up the mountain? I think I'm asking a lot but didn't see the question anywhere. I'm guessing it would need a barometric pressure sensor in order to do that or really accurate maps with topo info.

thanks

There is no collision avoidance programmed into the phantom 2 or ground station, or topographical adjustments for that matter. If you tell it to fly into the ground it will. I find the best flights happen after a few trial and error GS experiences. If that's the shot you're looking for then give it a mission you think will work, watch the video afterwards and then make adjustments to your mission. Rinse and repeat.
I' recommend to get an accurate estimation for heights of objects to fly the area on your own and make note of elevation changes (assuming you have iOSD), then you can use those numbers and waypoints for your ground station mission.

Just make sure you have FPV so you can abort mission if you see it flying too close to that hill!

@Scottystl - thanks. Great little site to find elevation of a given point.

@mcmax20 - yes, I have iOSD and that would be a good way to check the alt. of each waypoint prior to an aim automated mission.

Thank you both.

mcmax20 said:
There is no collision avoidance programmed into the phantom 2 or ground station, or topographical adjustments for that matter. If you tell it to fly into the ground it will. I find the best flights happen after a few trial and error GS experiences. If that's the shot you're looking for then give it a mission you think will work, watch the video afterwards and then make adjustments to your mission. Rinse and repeat.
I' recommend to get an accurate estimation for heights of objects to fly the area on your own and make note of elevation changes (assuming you have iOSD), then you can use those numbers and waypoints for your ground station mission.

Just make sure you have FPV so you can abort mission if you see it flying too close to that hill!

If I'm interpreting you correctly, it will fly at the altitude you set relative to the point it launched? Here's my scenario, I'm on a cliff about 500 ft above sea level. I want to send my Phantom to another cliff. It should travel to the other point at the same altitude, correct?

I actually have over 30 GS flights and I do all my filming at sea level, but I'm headed up to the mountains.

Diesel31 said:
mcmax20 said:

If I'm interpreting you correctly, it will fly at the altitude you set relative to the point it launched? Here's my scenario, I'm on a cliff about 500 ft above sea level. I want to send my Phantom to another cliff. It should travel to the other point at the same altitude, correct?

I actually have over 30 GS flights and I do all my filming at sea level, but I'm headed up to the mountains.

This is correct, all height measurements shown on the iOSD are from take off point elevation. Same goes for GS, if you program in 20m it will fly 20m above the take off point, not 20m above sea level (unless you happen to be at sea level :p ).

Thx for the confirmation.

I didn't make it out to the mountains, but I did get out to the cliffs in Huntington Beach, CA. I was taking off higher than the surfers, so I had to set my elevation lower to get in closer. Takes a little guesstimation so you're not too high that you lose subject matter, but also don't want to get too low and get swooped by a swell. I was plotting heights of 20 ft. and that was still pretty high. I didn't want to try 10 ft over the surf, it just seemed a little more hairy than my comfort zone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20