Do rc modeler fields exist within nfz? can you fly an rc airplane but not a drone ?

Reaction score
What is the difference between a drone / quadrocopter and RC Aircraft?
I'm asking definition, not fixed wing vs. multi rotor.
Also wonder how many hobby/modeler flying fields operate within five miles of an airport.
My point is, we've (us Phantom Pilots) are getting a bad rap for aledgely flying close to airports. Yet the modeler fields will fly jets, giant, heli and no problems. But you throw four blades on something with a camera and changes everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
What is the difference between a drone / quadrocopter and RC Aircraft?
I'm asking definition, not fixed wing vs. multi rotor.
Also wonder how many hobby/modeler flying fields operate within five miles of an airport.
My point is we've (us Phantom Pilots) are getting a bad rap for owning and flying
They operate under strict regulations regarding height, range, and aircraft ROW as well as being sanctioned by the AMA, . Full size aircraft have the exclusive ROW and all RC aircraft have to land immediately if a full size aircraft enters the flight limits of the field. Most RC clubs also require a spotter to assist the pilot in monitoring air space. and you cannot see the attitude or the aircraft beyond about 300 yards. Most 2.4 GHZ RC transmitters and recievers are limited to about a half mile and then signal loss will start to occur. This may be catastrophic for the plane since in most cases there are not RTH controls and a flyaway is a ever present risk if the plane goes out of range of the transmitter. The club I belong to has two fields that operate on the premises on an existing airfield. We can fly our quads if we observe the club rules. Neither, field is on the list.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
They operate under strict regulations regarding height, range, and aircraft ROW as well as being sanctioned by the AMA, . Full size aircraft have the exclusive ROW and all RC aircraft have to land immediately if a full size aircraft enters the flight limits of the field. Most RC clubs also require a spotter to assist the pilot in monitoring air space. and you cannot see the attitude or the aircraft beyond about 300 yards. Most 2.4 GHZ RC transmitters and recievers are limited to about a half mile and then signal loss will start to occur. This may be catastrophic for the plane since in most cases there are not RTH controls and a flyaway is a ever present risk if the plane goes out of range of the transmitter. The club I belong to has two fields that operate on the premises on an existing airfield. We can fly our quads if we observe the club rules. Neither, field is on the list.
In other words, RC flyers are a disciplined, rule obeying, respectful of authority bunch...Gee, what's wrong with you guys? (heavy sarcasm)

If anyone ever thought the AMA welcomes drones, here's an article that shows how they really feel:
Model airplane group seeks to restore image tarnished by drone pilots [link]

If anyone ever thought the AMA welcomes drones, here's an article that shows how they really feel:
They are right, Steve. I agree with every thing quoted below.

"In the letter, the group blamed recent drone confrontations — several which occurred in the skies over San Bernardino County — to enthusiasts who have disregarded public safety.
“Errant consumers flying in an unsafe manner do not represent the organized hobbyist community,” said the letter to the top administrators of the Federal Aviation Administration, U.S. Forest Service and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.
Hanson said drone pilots who interfered with wildfire-fighting efforts in Southern California have been referred to as hobbyists when it is not known who they really are.

“They could be someone hoping to sell their images to a news media outlet or someone seeking to get known on YouTube,” Hansen said."

My local AMA club and flying field has been nothing but welcoming and helpful towards me.

They offered no opinion on drones but rather the irresponsible way some people have used them.

Even if you didn't read the article, the title says it all:

"Model airplane group seeks to restore image tarnished by drone pilots"

This must be a regional attitude? I belong to 3 AMA sanctioned flying clubs here in the Seattle area, and have flown both drones and fixed wings as a guest at a handful of other local fields and never had an issue, always felt welcomed. Some of the fields have adjoining helicopter spots, and request that all drones launch and land from that area, but are free to fly over the entire field. One of my clubs even sets up a racing drone course on the field a few times a year.

I thought the article was a fair treatment. There seems to be an epidemic of idiot pilots, whether real or fabricated by the media, and the AMA has taken a hit over it.

Back to the OP, there is a small flying field for electric planes under 2 lbs only (if I remember the cut off correctly) less than 1/2 mile from the north end of SeaTac airport. You fly parallel to the runway, it is pretty amazing to see a jumbo jet a few blocks away flying at the same height as my little park flyer.

I've wondered how this field came into existence literally a stone's throw from a busy international airport? There is enough air traffic to intimidate most flyers from going above tree top level I guess.

I think most of the hysteria is media fabricated. Yes there are idiots flying where they shouldn't, but with a number of personal drones approaching a million aircraft [do the math] stupid is inevitable. To compound this, the press is amplifying the problem exponentially with each new "drone sighting".

Just yesterday in NYC there were four drone sightings. Probably the same drone. What's wrong with this panic? The drone was 13 miles from the nearest airport and none of the pilots had to take any evasive action. The offending drone was at 2200 ft. At 13 miles from the airport, the drone would be at least 1,000 feet below any airliner on an IFR approach:

JFK%2013R%20Profile.jpg

JFK said that they got some primary radar on it, but that doesn't provide altitude. If the airport still has a PAR (Precision Approach Radar) operating and if the drone were in the approach corridor serviced by the PAR, then they could determine altitude.

What threat was there to the airliners to make the news so sensational as if death were imminent? From what little detail as provided by the news channels, it doesn't look like the drone operator violated any rules. We don't know why the drone was at 2200 ft, so calling the operator names is irrelevant.

Common sense would have been to alert ATC of the location and altitude of the drone flight in advance so that a NOTAM would be issued and this would be a completely non-event. You don't have to be within 5 miles of an airport to advise them of a legal drone flight. But if you do, then a sighting by a manned aircraft would be a non-event. In fact, ATC might even ask the reporting pilots if they did not receive the airport NOTAMS?

Last edited:
I used to fly control line and about 1989 got into rc planes. Built from sticks...cover and paint. No RTF. Mostly these were scale type and could easily take over a month to build. I joined a local club. We were diciplined at the field. Watch who was on which frequency. ..traffic pattern for that day. Taking off...dead stick ...were all verbal things you shouted out so everyone was aware. It never dawned on us to fly BLOS . I actually still feel that way with my quads. Now you just buy a RTF anything and just go nuts without any concern for safety. It's just too easy now. If one spends a month or more building their craft and doing it all. Installation of radios, engines, making sure balance is correct..you might just be more careful when you go to fly. The thing is today....most have more money than brains or respect for others trying to enjoy the hobby. Crash it..get another one...flys out of the box they say.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik