Do others share these concerns?

Reaction score
I've been thinking about the issues of our P2V+s falling out of the sky, fly-aways, sudden loss of control, early battery failure (swelling/non-charging), firmware (3.06) upgrade problems, gps fluctuations, etc.

As a newbie, with only 8 flights, this really has me concerned.
Losing a $1500+ hobby investment gives one pause to question whether this is the equipment to rely upon.
Fortunately, to this point, I've not experienced any of the above symptoms, and sure don't want to!
Curiously enough, I've not seen (perhaps I don't know where to look) any 'official' responses from DJI related to these problems.

I have read conjecture and experiential anecdotes here on the forum, but again, no DJI response to validate, rebut, or offer suggestions to test/prevent these issues.

I'm seriously considering returning this equipment before I experience a tradgedy that prevents me from recouping my money. A pity, because this thing is a blast to fly and produces some really nice aerial photos and video.

For the investment we have all made in our hobby, and DJI, I believe it is incumbent upon DJI to regularly and often report back to our community of users on the SOLUTIONS (or problems) they have discovered from returned units. A pro-active approach on DJI's part would go a long way with many folks to quell the fear of losing equipment in a disaster. Perhaps DJI can also share mods, revisions, or required hardware upgrades recommended for more reliable operations.

BTW: I DO NOT point the blame at DJI for ALL the issues. I DO admonish them for not providing documented SOLUTIONs to these issues, or at least narrative to instruct US how to address these issues.

Anyone have some DJI FACTS or documented responses from DJI concerning these issues?

That's now more than one year that I use DJI products, 3 phantoms, a F330 and a F550, boths with naza controlers

I've never had an issue with thoses

Just to tell that not everybody got problems

Two of my friends got problems with thier phantoms, both of them have not respected the basics before flying, so I can't consider their experiences as problems from DJI

Just my two cents...

Every day, the news is full of stories about car crashes, airplane crashes, bus crashes...

Yet you still get up and go to work every day, don't you?

I completely agree with Totof1965 90% of the time it is user error! I work at DSLRPros in repairs and when we ask customers what happend it always seems to go back to something they did or failed to do.

cmhorka said:
I've been thinking about the issues of our P2V+s falling out of the sky, fly-aways, sudden loss of control, early battery failure (swelling/non-charging), firmware (3.06) upgrade problems, gps fluctuations, etc.

Losing a $1500+ hobby investment gives one pause to question whether this is the equipment to rely upon.
Fortunately, to this point, I've not experienced any of the above symptoms, and sure don't want to!
Curiously enough, I've not seen (perhaps I don't know where to look) any 'official' responses from DJI related to these problems.

I have read conjecture and experiential anecdotes here on the forum, but again, no DJI response to validate, rebut, or offer suggestions to test/prevent these issues.

I'm seriously considering returning this equipment before I experience a tradgedy that prevents me from recouping my money. A pity, because this thing is a blast to fly and produces some really nice aerial photos and video.

For the investment we have all made in our hobby, and DJI, I believe it is incumbent upon DJI to regularly and often report back to our community of users on the SOLUTIONS (or problems) they have discovered from returned units. A pro-active approach on DJI's part would go a long way with many folks to quell the fear of losing equipment in a disaster. Perhaps DJI can also share mods, revisions, or required hardware upgrades recommended for more reliable operations.

BTW: I DO NOT point the blame at DJI for ALL the issues. I DO admonish them for not providing documented SOLUTIONs to these issues, or at least narrative to instruct US how to address these issues.

Anyone have some DJI FACTS or documented responses from DJI concerning these issues?

NO I do not share your concerns (out of fear).

There is risk anytime you launch an r/c aircraft.
The 'net' is littered with video crash compilations of all sorts involving pilots of all skill levels with aircraft of all types and price ranges.
Phantoms are not toys.
They have a somewhat high level of sophistication (self-stabilizing motor synchronization & GPS positioning), are not fault tolerant, and require skill and proper preparation to fly consistently.

People 'fail', parts fail, equipment fails... loss of aircraft is part of the risk anytime you launch.

Having said that, it is a hobby for me and many, and no hobby of mine is free of recurring costs.

"You gotta' pay to play". ;)

I suspect that the true percentage of "flyaways" is very, very small in relation to the total number of units purchased and being used. Of course you hear about the bad experiences, many who have great experiences and no trouble are never heard from on forums.

I think about the recalls from Detroit every few months in the auto business, and when I put it in that perspective, I think DJI is doing pretty well for cutting edge technology.

I think fear is good, it stops you from making careless decisions :p

I share these concerns too, to some extent. But I think as long as you use it in a reasonable fashion you won't have any issue.

I also just highly recommend you shield the GPS module/wire as posted here in the forums quite often if you're paranoid.

I, for one, busted the camera on my 9th flight because of my own carelessness in flying it too close to my house and losing visual orientation... So yes, there can be expensive mistakes but I have a habit of having to make mistakes in order to learn...Hopefully your fear will be good enough to prevent them! :D

cmhorka said:
You already spent the money, the cash is gone. If you lose the gear, you are not out any more, ...unless you decide to continue. I enjoy flying and taking pictures, but I certainly do not consider it an "investment." Rather it is/was an "expense" for fun. Kinda like spending 1500 on a vacation.

There is risk that goes with it. The odds of you flying it for 5 years without incident are slim.

It's a decent device with more technology for the money than you can buy in about anything else for the same money.

Learn to test it and push the limits with RTH, home lock, etc in a controlled session.

I think if you understand how the Phantom works then 90% of the time you are going to be fine. Have to admit I was quick to jump into flying and really did not understand that was happening. After you grasp all that its easier and safer to fly.

Over 200 flights in the last 8 months without any flyaway type of issue at all. I've flown to almost 2 miles away and triggered RTH so many times. Sure there's a fair amount to learn but it seems pretty robust to me.

When you consider that DJI is selling 10-20,000 units per month, the number of crashes and fly-aways you read about on the forums seem small in comparison. I fly regularly and have had no problems that I did not create for myself. The Phantom flies great. I wouldn't let fear keep me from enjoying such a great hobby.

I have been flying about two months, probably every other day or so. I consider myself a careful person and I have had several crashes during that time. But every time (I am not saying ALMOST every time, but EVERY time), when I have gone back to think about what happened or have read about how things others have posted on this forum, I can attribute the crashes to pilot error or lack of good knowledge. My Phantom has dropped out of the sky and I think the battery was not fully wedged in or I might have inadvertently put the controls in a bad position to shut it off. I had "fly away" but having read what was written here, recognized that I was in ATTI mode and the wind was carrying it a way, flipped it to GPS mode and it came back. I've flown it into a tree because I was not careful to remember that flying in circles in some circumstances will lead to a gradual spiral downward in altitude, etc. Things I could have predicted earlier.

The initial investment for the bird, some extra chargers and batteries, a small stock of propellers, modifying the RC with antennae is not small. But I think that because it is so easy to get this bird into the air out of the box that I think it was my own impatience and overexcitement that led to the crashes I have had. It is very exciting to see this beautiful thing fly and to be able to take photos from angles you never imagined you could before. So there is a natural inclination to go farther, go higher, take risks because you read that it goes home on its own, levels itself, hovers on its own... as if it's just going to take care of itself in case you're stupid. But it won't. It is still under your control. One has to be patient. And respectful.

So... like others have said, almost any serious hobby these days will require an investment. But I honestly think that if one is patient and figure that, the first month, honestly, you fly around an area the size of a football field, get to know all of your flight modes, your control responsiveness, etc, and read, after each flight about other people's experiences, you are significantly less likely to have an issue. And the enjoyment factor - the beauty and wonder of being in the air virtually is tremendous. And probably why DJI is selling so many of these darn things every month.

My two cents...

Same here. I've had about 50 flights, and never had a problem. It wasn't until I got to this forum that I read all this scary stuff about fly aways and stuff! Don't let that get to you.

You shouldn't worry too much I think. Take it slow, take it easy, take care & you'll be fine. Like others said: people without problems post less about their successful flights on internet forums, so the fly aways appear to be common, although they are a small minority of phantom pilots out there.

Wally said:
Same here. I've had about 50 flights, and never had a problem. It wasn't until I got to this forum that I read all this scary stuff about fly aways and stuff! Don't let that get to you.

You shouldn't worry too much I think. Take it slow, take it easy, take care & you'll be fine. Like others said: people without problems post less about their successful flights on internet forums, so the fly aways appear to be common, although they are a small minority of phantom pilots out there.

Thanks Wally - I appreciate the encouragement. So far, I've been issue free (x=fingers crossed) ... Just checking in with the community to see what others think of the reported issues and DJIs response to same - Happy flying!

Skyjunkie said:
I have been flying about two months, probably every other day or so. I consider myself a careful person and I have had several crashes during that time. But every time (I am not saying ALMOST every time, but EVERY time), when I have gone back to think about what happened or have read about how things others have posted on this forum, I can attribute the crashes to pilot error or lack of good knowledge. ...

So... like others have said, almost any serious hobby these days will require an investment. But I honestly think that if one is patient and figure that, the first month, honestly, you fly around an area the size of a football field, get to know all of your flight modes, your control responsiveness, etc, and read, after each flight about other people's experiences, you are significantly less likely to have an issue. And the enjoyment factor - the beauty and wonder of being in the air virtually is tremendous. And probably why DJI is selling so many of these darn things every month.

My two cents...

I appreciate your 'two cents' ... My initial reaction to the responses here make me think there are a LOT more successful flights than there are issues during flight. Thanks for your story :)

fastsmiles said:
When you consider that DJI is selling 10-20,000 units per month, the number of crashes and fly-aways you read about on the forums seem small in comparison. I fly regularly and have had no problems that I did not create for myself. The Phantom flies great. I wouldn't let fear keep me from enjoying such a great hobby.

Thanks Fastsmiles!

nhoover said:
Over 200 flights in the last 8 months without any flyaway type of issue at all. I've flown to almost 2 miles away and triggered RTH so many times. Sure there's a fair amount to learn but it seems pretty robust to me.

WOW! - 200 flights and 2 miles - sounds solid to me too!
Thanks nhoover

ilovecoffee said:
I think fear is good, it stops you from making careless decisions :p

I share these concerns too, to some extent. But I think as long as you use it in a reasonable fashion you won't have any issue.

I also just highly recommend you shield the GPS module/wire as posted here in the forums quite often if you're paranoid.

I, for one, busted the camera on my 9th flight because of my own carelessness in flying it too close to my house and losing visual orientation... So yes, there can be expensive mistakes but I have a habit of having to make mistakes in order to learn...Hopefully your fear will be good enough to prevent them! :D

Do you think shielding the wire is enough, or wire and gps receiver must both be shielded?

Thanks for your reply - Chris

Phantom Phixer said:
I completely agree with Totof1965 90% of the time it is user error! I work at DSLRPros in repairs and when we ask customers what happend it always seems to go back to something they did or failed to do.

Thanks Phantom Phixer - I appreciate hearing from one who actually does the repairs on these units. Do you recommend any particular fixes/mods other than those already discussed on this forum?

N017RW said:
cmhorka said:

NO I do not share your concerns (out of fear).

There is risk anytime you launch an r/c aircraft.
The 'net' is littered with video crash compilations of all sorts involving pilots of all skill levels with aircraft of all types and price ranges.
Phantoms are not toys.
They have a somewhat high level of sophistication (self-stabilizing motor synchronization & GPS positioning), are not fault tolerant, and require skill and proper preparation to fly consistently.

People 'fail', parts fail, equipment fails... loss of aircraft is part of the risk anytime you launch.

Having said that, it is a hobby for me and many, and no hobby of mine is free of recurring costs.

"You gotta' pay to play". ;)

I couldn't have said it better!

I do want to add this. If you cannot afford to lose your Phantom then don't buy one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj