Do NOT take off near sand when your wife is chewing gum

Reaction score
So we're in FL and have been using a crab trap. Today I decided to get some footage of my brother on a paddle board. I used a 12-pack cooler as a launch pad about 10' from my wife sitting in a chair, chewing gum.

As I was getting things ready, a boat started approaching our crab pot. Poachers! I decided to scare them away so I launched at full power and just absolutely blasted my wife with sand. Her gum in her mouth was instantly gritty and she spit it out.

Turns out the boat was just curious since they had seen it there all week and now that they had a boat they wanted to see what it was.

I didn't consider the sand blasting effect. Hopefully I didn't suck much up into the bird...

First off, your title should be "Don't chew gum when the boss is lifting off with the Phantom". Bet that doesn't happen again! :D
Secondly, be careful taking off or landing in dust, sand and loose debris as the rotor wash will send it everywhere including your motors.

On the beach, I always hand launch and recover. This will save your motors, not to mention your wife's teeth! ;)

Yes, quite a few :)

These only soaked about 8 hours and we let two females with eggs go.

I did hand Catch it on the landing. I had my wife kills motors when I had it two handed. I'll need to look into doing it solo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 470
Reactions: dirkclod
On the beach, I always hand launch and recover. This will save your motors, not to mention your wife's teeth! ;)
I always handcatch, but have no experience at hand launching, and would love to know your technique for it. Please share! :rolleyes:

Yes, quite a few :)

These only soaked about 8 hours and we let two females with eggs go.

I did hand Catch it on the landing. I had my wife kills motors when I had it two handed. I'll need to look into doing it solo.
I always hand catch and just let it hover and come up from underneath it and get it by the top of a skid and then hold it still while I shut it down .

Reactions: 750r
I hand catch all the time but was always afraid to hand release... Tried looking it up, it's as straightforward as it sounds.. Maybe I'll try it tomorrow :)

Josh

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr