Do not fly in the clouds

Reaction score
The clouds were super low today at about 250 feet and I've always wanted to take it up into the clouds for a different perspective

Bad idea....

I checked doppler radar and no rain at all nearby

However, when I landed there was moisture all over the shell, gimbal, and camera. Luckily no damage. I removed the battery and dried her off as best as I can and I'm going to let her dry off for a few days before even trying to turn it back on.

It is about 0 degrees Celsius here, so I'm wondering if it got wet from the clouds?

or perhaps, the Phantom got cold and due to high humidity, condensation occurred?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I got some great video though! Will post soon

Re: Do not fly in the clouds

Condensation. Just like when you walk inside from the cold and your glasses fog up, or an iced drink sweats on a hot day.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Do you think there is condensation on the inside too?

I guess the lesson is to always check dew point and humidity levels when flying in the cold

cloud
kloud/Submit
noun
plural noun: clouds
a visible mass of condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere, typically high above the ground.

:eek:

480sparky said:
Condensation. Just like when you walk inside from the cold and your glasses fog up, or an iced drink sweats on a hot day.
This would be true if the cloudy sky was warmer than the Phantom. However the Phantom is generating quite a bit of heat: the ECSs get hot, the motors get at least warm, and I assume that the other electronics are also dissipating heat like any other electronics. So the analogy doesn't fit. However the clouds are about 100% humidity so the shell of the Phantom is probably going to get wet just from being there and there is nothing really from letting that moisture get into the electronics. This is as far as I have ever been up in the clouds.

[vimeo]113969063[/vimeo]

slothead said:
480sparky said:
This would be true if the cloudy sky was warmer than the Phantom. However the Phantom is generating quite a bit of heat: the ECSs get hot, the motors get at least warm, and I assume that the other electronics are also dissipating heat like any other electronics. So the analogy doesn't fit. However the clouds are about 100% humidity so the shell of the Phantom is probably going to get wet just from being there and there is nothing really from letting that moisture get into the electronics. This is as far as I have ever been up in the clouds.

[vimeo]113969063[/vimeo]

so you think it is actually from the cloud? and do i have to worry about the inside electronics? thanks

Umm, here is how a cloud is defined:

cloud
A cloud is a large collection of very tiny droplets of water or ice crystals. The droplets are so small and light that they can float in the air.

You go into a cloud, you will get wet. ;)

Oh, and flying into one is an exceeding bad idea. Putting aside possible damage to your Phantom, think about what a surprise it would be for a some guy getting some IFR time motoring around in those clouds with you. You might be able to hear him, but you won't be able to see him, and he absolutely will not see you.

SilentAV8R said:

cloud
A cloud is a large collection of very tiny droplets of water or ice crystals. The droplets are so small and light that they can float in the air.

Oh, and flying into one is an exceeding bad idea. Putting aside possible damage to your Phantom, think about what a surprise it would be for a some guy getting some IFR time motoring around in those clouds with you. You might be able to hear him, but you won't be able to see him, and he absolutely will not see you.

Well, I've always wanted a cloud video. Now it's under my belt and no more.

Why would I worry about some guy in the clouds If I'm staying below 400 feet? If small planes and helicopters decide to break the rules, which they do all the time, it is their fault. And flight data/radar from towers will show that they are at fault

Same goes for Fog.

I thought I could get some cool video on a foggy morning last week. Not a good idea. Flew around 250' above the fog but when I came back down through the fog she was soaking wet. Let her dry in front a fan for a little while and haven't had any issue but I won't be doing that again.

eyecon82 said:
slothead said:
480sparky said:

[vimeo]113969063[/vimeo]

so you think it is actually from the cloud? and do i have to worry about the inside electronics? thanks
Yeah it is probably from the clouds, and if your electronics do get wet (the heat of the electronics can only vaporize so much ice/water droplets), they we will certainly be affected by it, but it really depends on how wet they get. Personally (as you have already stated), I wouldn't risk it any more.

slothead said:
eyecon82 said:
slothead said:
480sparky said:

[vimeo]113969063[/vimeo]

Yeah it is probably from the clouds, and if your electronics do get wet (the heat of the electronics can only vaporize so much ice/water droplets), they we will certainly be affected by it, but it really depends on how wet they get. Personally (as you have already stated), I wouldn't risk it any more.

Thanks. I'm definitely not flying in fog/clouds anymore.

Probably not turning it on for at least 24 hours either. I have it over the heater vent now

eyecon82 said:
SilentAV8R said:

cloud

Why would I worry about some guy in the clouds If I'm staying below 400 feet? If small planes and helicopters decide to break the rules, which they do all the time, it is their fault. And flight data/radar from towers will show that they are at fault

I was speaking in a general sense. But, depending on where you are a plane could be at 400 feet in the clouds during landing, engine out, practice (away from developed areas), etc. Basically, why take a chance??

SilentAV8R said:
eyecon82 said:
SilentAV8R said:

cloud

I was speaking in a general sense. But, depending on where you are a plane could be at 400 feet in the clouds during landing, engine out, practice (away from developed areas), etc. Basically, why take a chance??

True. Also LOS is lost too when in the clouds.

I am a 10,000 pilot. Yes, it will get wet in the cloud. It's visable moisture. Any aircraft in the clouds will be on an IFR flight plan and no where near 400 feet unless landing at an airport.

Here's one from 392ft.

Attachments

• 392ft.JPG
    392ft.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 393

My cold weather cloud flight - about -2 C.
Very low clouds over a valley so only had to go up about 300 ft to get above them.
I lost signal and the quad returned to home even though it wasn't very far away. Seems the wifi had trouble penetrating the dense clouds.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEj9PGsgqPA[/youtube]

A low cloud is only similar to flying in fog, there are lots of videos from them doing that.
It won't do immediate damage getting a few drops of water on it but not something to be doing frequently.
Just make sure it can dry out fully as soon as possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.