Do I really need to upgrade battery firmware when using a new battery?

Reaction score
I just bought a new DJI battery for my P4 Pro and tried it out indoors without props just to check it worked OK. I use Litchi most of the time so was using that and it all looked good and no error messages; it said that it had had zero charges and all the data about cell voltage seemed good. I have read that one needs to update the battery firmware when using for the first time so was wondering if this is really necessary as I hate dealing with DJI Go app and don't want to update it if I don't have to as the drone works just fine. Would Litchi give a warning if the battery needed updating? I am on DJI Go 4.26.

I just bought a new DJI battery for my P4 Pro and tried it out indoors without props just to check it worked OK. I use Litchi most of the time so was using that and it all looked good and no error messages; it said that it had had zero charges and all the data about cell voltage seemed good. I have read that one needs to update the battery firmware when using for the first time so was wondering if this is really necessary as I hate dealing with DJI Go app and don't want to update it if I don't have to as the drone works just fine. Would Litchi give a warning if the battery needed updating? I am on DJI Go 4.26.

There our always going to be times when you fly and just dont have the time to update the batteries however.
They our constantly tweaking these batteries with the updates and because they have the computer chip in them , not updating can effect the drone in a very bad way.

For instance I had 1 Phantom battery a few months back that I did not update and some how it effected the the drones ability to fly , once I updated the battery everything was back to normal so if things our not adding up on your flights , just know that updating your battery can solve an issue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain
Coal

Reactions: Sealdrone56
DJI go4 app would not need to be updated to run an update for your battery. Run the app, airplane mode, when you see the inconsistent firmware message, slide the bar and you’re done. Back to litchi.

If you use the dji go app it will automatically update the battery if it has an older version of fw. I think it is only so it communicates good with dji go and sometimes also some performance improvement. If you do not use dji go, it is probably less important,

I have never been asked to upgrade my batteries on any of my drones . When I do updates for my drones and remotes am I updating my batteries?

If that was the case, you would probably have to run that process on each battery. Me personally, I don’t know if the battery in the aircraft gets an update when you update the ac. Maybe someone can answer that and I’ll learn something new?

When you do a fw update on a P3, the installed battery is updated with the a/c. Then if you want to update your other batteries, you have to install and update each one. Doesn’t take much time at all.

Thanks everyone for chipping in. I will give it a go with the DJI app see what happens...

Well not much happened. I ran the DJI Go app with the new battery in the P4 and it never showed any warnings about firmware so I guess that all is good to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.