Do I or do I not have directional control during self-landin

Reaction score
Hi, I have asked this before and apologize for needing clarification, but I just watched a YouTube video from Tom's Techtime that clearly states when the Phantom goes into critical battery stage ( fast flashing red LEDs) you should have full directional control while it is descending on its own. That is not what I experienced. I do understand how to avoid getting that low in battery , but I want to be sure that Tom is incorrect and there is nothing wrong with my Phantom. I was getting fast flashing red LEDs and the phantom was landing in place with no response to my attempt to bring it closer to me. Fortunately, it was only 20 feet away over grass, so I was fine, but I want to make sure that what I was experiencing didn't warn me of a future problem.
Thanks, Steve

Re: Do I or do I not have directional control during self-la

i've never had any control when mines landing in rth, i'm still using 3.08 but think they may of changed it in 3.12

p fandango said:
i've never had any control when mines landing in rth
Try using your S1 switch next time
i-fVMzh3S-L.jpg

For the OP .. You have the ability to control at first low battery alarm.
It used to be that you had to have left stick up to hold altitude and you had lateral control.
Under the latest firmware upgrade you also get the ability to ascend slowly.
Not sure once you get to critical battery level.
The manual isn't clear and I've never tried it - it's not a good idea to be still flying at that point.
Sounds like something you can test easily under controlled conditions if you want to be sure.

Vision Plus v3.... I've never lost control of the Phantom. It does auto decend at 15% battery but I can still accend and move the drone in any direction.

This is the way it should be and I'd say for good reason... DJI would not want any liability for programming the drone to come down with no control. They could be sued in some situations if this were the case.

pianoflyer said:
Hi, I have asked this before and apologize for needing clarification, but I just watched a YouTube video from Tom's Techtime that clearly states when the Phantom goes into critical battery stage ( fast flashing red LEDs) you should have full directional control while it is descending on its own. That is not what I experienced. I do understand how to avoid getting that low in battery , but I want to be sure that Tom is incorrect and there is nothing wrong with my Phantom. I was getting fast flashing red LEDs and the phantom was landing in place with no response to my attempt to bring it closer to me. Fortunately, it was only 20 feet away over grass, so I was fine, but I want to make sure that what I was experiencing didn't warn me of a future problem.
Thanks, Steve

Normally you will receive two battery warnings the first is at 30% and the second at 15% but in both warnings you full control of your craft. The one at which you can no longer being it back the home point is when the battery reaches 10.65 volts and the only control you'll have is the decent speed. So if you ignore the first two warnings and are above trees or water I think you'll have gotten the picture at that point. So if you have FPV and iOSD keep an eye on the voltage and if you don't have FPV keep it close by as you'll have about 15 minutes flight time with a gimbal and camera onboard.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie