Do I need to balance the stock P4 probs

Reaction score
Hi,

About to get a P4, but before I do I'm getting all the extras, USB cable (short one), lanyard etc, I'm wondering if I need to balance the supplied DJI white plastic props?

If so, will then need to get a balancing rod..

Finally when I used to visit the P3 forum here there were issues with some cracked shells under neath or near motor areas. Has this been resolved with the redesign of the P4 chassis?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I've read that the DJI props come pre-balanced; which I don't entirely believe. There are YouTube videos showing DJI props that are not balanced :) Those stress cracks that popup from time to time in the forums are likely due to vibration and having perfectly balanced props would certainly help there. So, in my very humble opinion, lets balance our props.

I purchased the DU-BRO balancer only to find it needs a special rod to accommodate the P4 props;

3MM Friction-Fit Prop Balancer Shaft for DJI Phantom 4 (1/pkg.)
Part #: 3388

It likely arrives today or tomorrow at which time I'll be able to see how in-balance or out-of-balance my props are. Where do you live? C'mon over and you can balance yours with my rig.

Reactions: nickyb
I have about 80 flights on my new P4 and have never balanced the props. The bird flies as smoothly today as it they day I got it out of the box. So I doubt you'll ever need to balance (unless you crash, in which case I'd go for replacement)

The P4 shell is a bit beefier than the P3s and it is built around a magnesium core. I didn't notice any manufacturing flaws in the shell. And even after many flights, I haven't seen any developing stress fractures.

I'm wondering if I need to balance the supplied DJI white plastic props?
I'm assuming most people never check them. I like to balance mine though.

when I used to visit the P3 forum here there were issues with some cracked shells under neath or near motor areas. Has this been resolved with the redesign of the P4 chassis?
Other than due to crashes, I don't recall seeing any cracked shells yet.

I have attempted to balance them as per usual heli practice and can tell you they were all balanced just perfect.

You might want also focus on following best practices to avoid known specific issues;

- don't let them mounted on the craft once flight session completed

- don't store them in a way they could bend

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have attempted to balance them as per usual heli practice and can tell you they were all balanced just perfect.

You might want also focus on following best practices to avoid known specific issues;

Yep All of this for me too.

Am close to 200 flights on full batteries. Never balanced props and never noticed any vibrations while holding on to landing gear while AC was hovering. Always do a very thorough pre flight and post flight inspection of everything, even the threads on the props with magnifying glass. I guess I am one of the most luckiest P3P owner to not have any issues!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read that the DJI props come pre-balanced; which I don't entirely believe. There are YouTube videos showing DJI props that are not balanced :) Those stress cracks that popup from time to time in the forums are likely due to vibration and having perfectly balanced props would certainly help there. So, in my very humble opinion, lets balance our props.

I purchased the DU-BRO balancer only to find it needs a special rod to accommodate the P4 props;

3MM Friction-Fit Prop Balancer Shaft for DJI Phantom 4 (1/pkg.)
Part #: 3388

It likely arrives today or tomorrow at which time I'll be able to see how in-balance or out-of-balance my props are. Where do you live? C'mon over and you can balance yours with my rig.

Thanks for the great info FlashBuddy, will take your advice.

Not that local to you in the US I'm afraid, over the pond in England :)

I have about 80 flights on my new P4 and have never balanced the props. The bird flies as smoothly today as it they day I got it out of the box. So I doubt you'll ever need to balance (unless you crash, in which case I'd go for replacement)

The P4 shell is a bit beefier than the P3s and it is built around a magnesium core. I didn't notice any manufacturing flaws in the shell. And even after many flights, I haven't seen any developing stress fractures.
Good news, thanks for info.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

good advice, thanks

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Am close to 200 flights on full batteries. Never balanced props and never noticed any vibrations while holding on to landing gear while AC was hovering. Always do a very thorough pre flight and post flight inspection of everything, even the threads on the props with magnifying glass. I guess I am one of the most luckiest P3P owner to not have any issues!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info here.

I checked the balance of my props when I got the P4 and 2 were right on and the other 2 were close but not quite. I check the balance because even if it's off a little you may not notice it when flying but at the rpms it runs it can't be good for the P4.

I've never balanced any props on any of my drones. No issues. Sure, it might make a difference in end-of-life for the props or motors. But in general most OEM props are produced "good enough"...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj