Do I need Section 333 exemptions?

Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a local brewery and I would like to fly out my P3 for recreational use for events they have but may end up having my video on their site/facebook. This would be unpaid and for me to try out my video making skills, and etc. Another words, just for fun and see what I can do.

If I do need a Section 333 exemption, under which catagory do I apply?

Thanks in advance!

A buddy of mine has a local brewery and I would like to fly out my P3 for recreational use for events they have but may end up having my video on their site/facebook. This would be unpaid and for me to try out my video making skills, and etc. Another words, just for fun and see what I can do.

If I do need a Section 333 exemption, under which category do I apply?
If you want to comply to the nth degree with the rules, probably yes .. and you'd also have to have a real plane license and wait several months for it to be approved.
If it's just a one-off for fun, it probably wouldn't matter and no-one's going to worry you about it.

Thanks for the reply. My concern is IF the video was to be used on their business website, even thought it just happens to be recreational video for me, the FAA/authorities could see this as a promotional video for a business. I'm not a big fan of break too many laws haha =)

It comes down to intent of the flight.
IF... your intent is to create material to be used for promotion of the Brewery, its commercial.

If you were flying one day and happened across this 'event' then at some point later it came up you had such material(s), then the intent is different.

Reactions: BigAl07 and jkwhat
Correct. 333 and pilot cert is about intent, not skill. If you intend to make money, you need these documents. If you do it as a hobby you can do all the same things that a 333/pilot certified person can do with the exception of receiving monies.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

Reactions: BigAl07 and N017RW
Thanks for the reply. My concern is IF the video was to be used on their business website, even thought it just happens to be recreational video for me, the FAA/authorities could see this as a promotional video for a business. I'm not a big fan of break too many laws haha =)

It seems you've already opened Pandora's box for yourself. Simply asking the question shows to some degree your intent "could" be to provide media for their business use. It's a slipper slope from here on down and it all depends on "Do you feel lucky?".

Odds are nothing would come of it but if a local competitor (another beer company even) were to make a report they would contact you directly. Most likely you'd get an "Educational" letter but really we don't want to show up on the FAA's radar EVER if at all possible.

Also keep in mind that any time you use the term drone/UAS in conjunction with a "Festival or Event" you're opening yourself up to FAA interpretation as to what is and is NOT considered Safe or Wreckless flight. That can get you into a whole new pot of hot water well beyond what the Section 333 Exemption would do. A flight that is deemed wreckless by the FAA really opens up a whole new can of worms and opportunities for deep and painful enforcement by the FAA.

It seems you've already opened Pandora's box for yourself. Simply asking the question shows to some degree your intent "could" be to provide media for their business use. It's a slipper slope from here on down and it all depends on "Do you feel lucky?".

Odds are nothing would come of it but if a local competitor (another beer company even) were to make a report they would contact you directly. Most likely you'd get an "Educational" letter but really we don't want to show up on the FAA's radar EVER if at all possible.

Also keep in mind that any time you use the term drone/UAS in conjunction with a "Festival or Event" you're opening yourself up to FAA interpretation as to what is and is NOT considered Safe or Wreckless flight. That can get you into a whole new pot of hot water well beyond what the Section 333 Exemption would do. A flight that is deemed wreckless by the FAA really opens up a whole new can of worms and opportunities for deep and painful enforcement by the FAA.

Definitely don't want on FAA's radar hence me asking here and understand the rules. My intentions aren't to make money, just a reason to fly my p3. If he likes the video and wants to put it on their social media, I wouldn't mind nor would I ask for money. I have no intentions to ever make money with my p3 (main reason for buying my drone was to use for my group trips, etc).

I appreciate everyones input on this!

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank goodness the FAA is busy with real planes. Tons of folks flying UAV's for $ and not having any issues even without a 333. Sure, a few will get busted and they will be publicized but it's the minority. At least in this area that's the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers