do i need lenses?

Reaction score
im a poor photographer , i run my p4p camera at 100-auto all the time. Will the nd lenses help me or are they only good for good photographers?
thanks

Last edited:
+1 on what Meta4 said. ND filters are used when shooting videos to adjust the shutter speed (nominally, 2x the frame rate) without having to change the ISO. Except for some special situations, auto mode with no filter will usually give you very acceptable stills.

Reactions: Dazzauk
+1 on what Meta4 said. ND filters are used when shooting videos to adjust the shutter speed (nominally, 2x the frame rate) without having to change the ISO. Except for some special situations, auto mode with no filter will usually give you very acceptable stills.
I shoot a few more vids than stills, would the nd filters help me in bright sunlight or make better sunrise or sunset vids?

The NDs are only going to help in bright sunlight as mentioned above. They won't do anything in high contrast shoots like sunsets/sunrises. They don't changes the relative brightness of sunlit areas or shadows. No add on filter is really going to help there. For those types of shoots, you'll have to do some post-flight processing and that thanes some experience and good software?

The NDs are only going to help in bright sunlight as mentioned above. They won't do anything in high contrast shoots like sunsets/sunrises. They don't changes the relative brightness of sunlit areas or shadows. No add on filter is really going to help there. For those types of shoots, you'll have to do some post-flight processing and that thanes some experience and good software?
thanks RR

All that an ND filter will do for you (in stiills) is to reduce the shutter speed.
Unless you particularly want to shoot a slower shutter speed than you can achieve using the aperture, there's nothing to gain by using ND filters.

That really depends on two things one would be the subject matter being shot and the other the camera being used. And I am not referring to UAVs either. Five minute long exposures will require ND filters as many cameras lenses cannot go above an f-stop of 22 and some cameras with a fixed lens cannot go above f/16.

That really depends on two things one would be the subject matter being shot and the other the camera being used. And I am not referring to UAVs either. Five minute long exposures will require ND filters as many cameras lenses cannot go above an f-stop of 22 and some cameras with a fixed lens cannot go above f/16.
Since we're talking in a forum about drones, five minute exposures aren't relevant here.
But if you are one of the 0.01% of flyers that for some reason want to shoot a very slow shutter speed in daylight, what I said covers that too.
Unless you particularly want to shoot a slower shutter speed than you can achieve using the aperture, there's nothing to gain by using ND filters.

Since we're talking in a forum about drones, five minute exposures aren't relevant here.
But if you are one of the 0.01% of flyers that for some reason want to shoot a very slow shutter speed in daylight, what I said covers that too.

Even though the question was in regards to UAVs there are amateur photographers here as well.

i use my 3S in Auto all the time and found this CPL lens helped a little with improving image quality with less light coming in and out the camera and more deyail being kept making editing much better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20