Do i lose phone data usage if I don't have wifi? Phantom 3 pro

Reaction score
I just flew my copter for the first time, and it said I was out of wifi range and it would use my cell data minutes? is there a setting to overcome this, or does everyone have to subscribe to unlimited minutes.

we need more information. How do you have everything setup. Do you use a android device (tablet, phone), are you tethering your tablet to a phone, if so what are the setting on the phone and tablet (airplane mode, etc.) More details please.

Reactions: Mudcat
First, thank you for responding, I'm a first timer and know very little. I am using a iPad mini plugged directly to the controller. Airplane mode is off. If using a phone would help, I have a iphone 6 I could use.

First, thank you for responding, I'm a first timer and know very little. I am using a iPad mini plugged directly to the controller. Airplane mode is off. If using a phone would help, I have a iphone 6 I could use.

Pre cache your maps on wifi and then fly in airplane mode. My iPad mini 2 cellular has no cell plan. It works fine. And I fly in Airplane Mode to eliminate signals from my phone or somebody else's wifi.

S

Please explain Pre cache maps on wifi? Is it conceivable with this setup, that I could fly a mile away with no problem?

Please explain Pre cache maps on wifi? Is it conceivable with this setup, that I could fly a mile away with no problem?

With DJI Go, you'll need to fire up your RC, tablet, and quad in the house. Shift Go to the map page and zoom down to the area you want to fly in. Shut your app down and open it up in Airplane Mode. It should be there.

With Litchi, I don't need to fire up the quad to cache the maps.

S

With airplane mode on, will I still be able to see the copters video feed from the same distance, without use of cell towers? Do you like Litchi better than DJI Go? Should I expect to see the video feed from a mile away? Sorry for all the questions, Hopefully I'll get caught up soon:) Thanks

With airplane mode on, will I still be able to see the copters video feed from the same distance, without use of cell towers? Do you like Litchi better than DJI Go? Should I expect to see the video feed from a mile away? Sorry for all the questions, Hopefully I'll get caught up soon:) Thanks

You don't need the cellular service to see video feed from the bird (Phantom), the Phantom uses it's own connection or "LightBridge". Depending on the area you are flying in, as long as you don't have a lot of interference you should have no problem at one mile but that said, as a new pilot you should fly much closer to yourself until you get the hang of things, legally you should always be in Line Of Sight (LOS) when flying meaning you can see your Phantom (Bird) and it's orientation. Use airplane mode one your iPad so incoming email/text or other Apps don't interfere with your flying and cause problems, also make sure you shut off all other apps that you don't need while you are flying. You should also spend some time familiarizing yourself with the manual, I know you're all gung-ho to get out there and fly but I don't think you want to loose your bird right away either.

Last edited:
Thank you! I've flown rc planes and copters most of my life, but this takes the cake!! Thank you again for your help!! If anyone should run across a youtube as to the technical info on how the video feed works, please let me know...Thanks again!

I think the first question was answered.

You really need DGI Go to set your settings before you fly with Litchi and a few other settings. But yeah, Google around on Youtube for Litchi.

S

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic