Do I learn differently if I bought a modded phantom?

Reaction score
Instead of buying the stock phantom I bought a modded package from a website instead (dslrpros). The package includes a changed Tx and a gimbal as well as the FPV. Just wondering does all the intro videos and documentation still applies here? Or do I have to look for material specific to this setup?

All the basics still apply and you should get familiar with everything and best to learn flying line of sight before tackling fpv. Having everything on will make any rookie crashes more expensive and flying fpv with a gimbal gives you no feedback on what the craft is doing. Without a gimbal fpv is quite natural as you see the pitch of the quad but with it getting an idea of what its doing will be pretty tricky.

learning to fly without fpv first is important so that you will be able to bring it back if for some reason your video link is lost. Both modes of flight are very different and fpv is easier in many ways but its also q bit tricky to get the hang of.

If you have flown other helis in the past then you shouldnt need too much practice line of sight to get the basic hang of it in gps and atti modes. Also in fpv if you have no osd you wont see any info on the leds so your flying blind in that respect and you want to learn how long it takes for the battery to get to the first and second levels. Use a timer at least in fpv as the last thing you want is to run out of juice and be forced to ditch somewhere. Also using a gimbal for your fpv feed do not attempt manual mode whilst in fpv, in that mode you need to know the exact pitch angle of the quad or you will crash no matter how good a pilot you are.

martcerv said:
All the basics still apply and you should get familiar with everything and best to learn flying line of sight before tackling fpv. Having everything on will make any rookie crashes more expensive and flying fpv with a gimbal gives you no feedback on what the craft is doing. Without a gimbal fpv is quite natural as you see the pitch of the quad but with it getting an idea of what its doing will be pretty tricky.

learning to fly without fpv first is important so that you will be able to bring it back if for some reason your video link is lost. Both modes of flight are very different and fpv is easier in many ways but its also q bit tricky to get the hang of.

If you have flown other helis in the past then you shouldnt need too much practice line of sight to get the basic hang of it in gps and atti modes. Also in fpv if you have no osd you wont see any info on the leds so your flying blind in that respect and you want to learn how long it takes for the battery to get to the first and second levels. Use a timer at least in fpv as the last thing you want is to run out of juice and be forced to ditch somewhere. Also using a gimbal for your fpv feed do not attempt manual mode whilst in fpv, in that mode you need to know the exact pitch angle of the quad or you will crash no matter how good a pilot you are.

What is this manual mode? I want to make sure I never use it.

Manual mode disables all the autopilot features and limitations. It doesnt auto level and can be inverted but it is off by default. I dont know what tx you are using but assume they have set this up for you. You will need to check the naza assistant to see how your 3 mode switches are set. Default is GPS, ATTI, ATTI so you may want to change position 3 to RTH if not already done for you. That is where you would have the option for manual mode or failsafe rth.

Watching their videos should tell you how the controls work on your setup. It should still be quite similar to the setup on a stock radio but obviously the switches will be different and you should also have gimbal pitch control setup on the radio for you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31