Do I have Damage to motors or esc?

Reaction score
First flight today, took it up for 2-3 minutes and then while trying to land it tilted over and landed upside down. Three of the 4 motors were on the ground and it started to make a whining noise from the motors. Panicked and tried to turn it off as fast as i could but it took me 30 seconds before i walked over and just pulled the battery out. Three motors were hot to the touch and smelled of burnt plastic. I thought i saw a bit of white smoke too. Do you think I have any motor or Esc damage??? I let the drone cool down and flew it again an hour later for only 30 seconds. It flew fine, but that was a small test just up 6 feet and down with RTH. How do I diagnose if there is any damage to the drone from the first flight???

thanks

you might want to learn how to hand catch it wont have those problems

You think you saw smoke and noticed a buring smell, im going to say it cant be as good as new. Try a close in flight for 15mins or so and take it from there.

BTW- What hapoens when you do a RTH from 6 feet above your home point? Was it just like an auto land or did it go through the whole RTH process including an option to abort?

When the bird flipped over you should have done a CSC to shut off the motors, instead of running over to it and pulling out the battery. It would've taken a lot less time. BTW when you landed did u do CSC command with the sticks? The only reason I ask is because I've read that if you do that, thinking that's the way to shut off the motors after you can cause your bird to flip over. When you land you should just pull down the left stick and the motors will shut off within three seconds..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: MrDroneUK
I know this is an old post but I had an EXACT similar experience, bird flipped over, left stick down doesn't work when flipped, I did the CRC but didn't work either so I had to run and remove the battery. There was smoke out of the 2 rear motors and a terrible smell and also they were really hot but after cooling down I flew the drone and there was no (obvious) problem. I wonder how your situation evolved after several flights because I am scared something terrible can happen in mid flight and lose the bird altogether. Thank you.

The smoke and terrible smell was the protective coating on the motor windings getting hot. This can be bad sometimes if it completely burns off the coating. It doesn't mean the motors bad when u see smoke, but if it happens again it would probably result in a catastrophe. I would go and buy new motors just to be safe, that's not a good gamble with a couple hundred dollar bird. The motors are cheap and easily found

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The smoke and terrible smell was the protective coating on the motor windings getting hot. This can be bad sometimes if it completely burns off the coating. It doesn't mean the motors bad when u see smoke, but if it happens again it would probably result in a catastrophe. I would go and buy new motors just to be safe, that's not a good gamble with a couple hundred dollar bird. The motors are cheap and easily found

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thank you very much for your reply, it took some of my panic away :)
I will follow your advice and change both motors, they are inexpensive and like you said it's not worth the gamble.
Thanx again.

Reactions: jimbo3n8
I know this is an old post but I had an EXACT similar experience, bird flipped over, left stick down doesn't work when flipped, I did the CRC but didn't work either so I had to run and remove the battery. There was smoke out of the 2 rear motors and a terrible smell and also they were really hot but after cooling down I flew the drone and there was no (obvious) problem. I wonder how your situation evolved after several flights because I am scared something terrible can happen in mid flight and lose the bird altogether. Thank you.

I had the same "first-ish flight" experience... flipped... terrible noise.. smell... etc.... I was cautious for a while since no one could tell me what would happen... only the worst of what "may" happen! I have been flying for several months now and have never had any issue. I'm not saying don't worry about crashes and smells and loud noises! But my drone seems no worse for the wear.

"...since no one could tell me what would happen... "

and that's what drives your desperation to new heights. Thanks for sharing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31