Do different FWs *really* make a difference in range?

Reaction score
Hey all - long story short, I've got two P3Ps, one on 1.7.6 and one with the current FW. I can't compare range directly since the 1.7.6 also has amps and a panel antenna.

BUT

I've had to send the current-FW bird, as well as the 1.7.6-paired RC, off for repairs, so my question is this: is 1.7.6 worth holding on to? Is there *actually* an appreciable improvement in range, or is there just some hardware loophole that someone *could* use to increase range if they knew what they were doing, that honestly I don't need since I've already got amps and an antenna?

If 1.7.6 isn't actually any different I guess I might as well upgrade *everything* to the latest so I can interchange aircraft and RCs when needed. But would love to hear the truth! Is there any good reason to stay on 1.7.6?

Thanks all!

Forums are starting to die :( too many people moving to Mavic :) No differences in range if in the US which ive seen.. some guys in EU reported less tx power in later releases, not sure its ever been confirmed. I've flown on tons of firmware, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and 1.10 and have seen similar across the board. I think it depends more on weather, antenna setup, how well you point it, conditions, etc. I'd fly the latest firmware all day long, I just hate the firmware update process for p3. The newer ones are much easier with assistant. But i'm also of the regard of 'if it aint broke dont fix it' :)

Many thanks for the reply, Dig! Thanks for the report about things being pretty similar. I'm not as paranoid as some with "I'll never update", but at the same time I think we can all acknowledge that DJI puts in a colossal amount of time and effort into R&D, so more recent firmwares have to be an improvement. I did suffer range issues when I went from 1.7 to 1.8, but I think I've tracked those down to a faulty amplifier - I think firmwares may get blamed for a lot of things that's not their fault!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan