DJI, whats with the crazy Max. width of the phone for the TX!?!?!?!

Reaction score
Come on DJI, a little fore thought would have solved this issue. With a max. width of 8.5mm, we now need to remove our cases to use the TX! Some cases, like mine, are tough to get off.........You could have made the tolerance wider and added rubber shims to make up the difference if need be. Who are you all consulting with? I have the thinnest case made for my note 5 and its still not thin enough. The correct implementation would have cost you zero extra dollars. You went ahead and made a respectful, quick access quad only to hamper the phone integration.......Try to offer aftermarket arms that solve this oversight.

That's a misconception that's popular among Apple users but there's no truth to it.
Come on meta! I mean how long have we been doing this? First off the little wink indicates a little joking amongst pilots.;) I have BOTH android and iPhone products. And it is a shame that some android products will not fit the carrier, but neither will the ipad mini I have. I'm sure the quad is going to be great never the less. I know Dji trys to please everyone but it is a near impossible task. And after having both the P2V+, and the P3P I will believe the apple products are a better match. But hey, we are entitled to our own opinions right?;)

At least you guys can connect your phones!

I have a Nexus 6p and it has a USB C connection... DJI sells the connection for 9 bucks, so I hope I get it on the same time I get my Mavic.

Reactions: mstampfli
That's is going to suck having to take my phone out of the case every time I want to fly :(

My galaxy S7 with an otterbox commuter is measuring 13mm. Without the case will JUST fit, coming in at 8.25mm..

And, and, and..... I really don't like the idea of my naked phone precariously hanging in the controller, with the bottom un-secured.

But I have a feeling people will offer re-designed (3d printed) arms, with better and more adaptable clamping.

I saw that the controller has a USB tucked up underneath the built in screen. Can't we just connect with a short lightning cable? I have an iPhone SE which I use with the P4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Anyone know if a simple adapter like this will work for USB C phones like Nexus 6P/5X?

upload_2016-9-30_9-23-49.png

The thickness thing is a pain. My Nexus 5x is only 7.8mm thick but with the case it's just about exactly 10mm - and of course the case doesn't come off easily.

This is what I am finding looking at a more powerful but still affordable option such as Moto G4.
DJI state maximum thickness just 8.5mm, however if the phone is rounded or tapered near the ends it might still fit even though the phone thickness specification says (e.g) 10mm?
I think for now I will manage somehow with Nexus 7 even if it needs a separate clamp or stand.

I saw that the controller has a USB tucked up underneath the built in screen. Can't we just connect with a short lightning cable
You could, but it won't be in the right place to plug into your phone. It would be best to use the Lightning cable that comes with the Mavic.

You could, but it won't be in the right place to plug into your phone. It would be best to use the Lightning cable that comes with the Mavic.
So what your saying is....If you have an iPhone.....Your good to go!:D That's what kind of what I was hinting at for meta, considering the mavic comes with a LIGHTNING cable. Almost like DJI expected this drone to be the most compatible with......drum roll......IPHONE:eek::confused:;) People get very sensitive about what phone they use for some reason. I just want a phone for phone calls.:rolleyes:

Almost every video I have seen, DJI uses an apple product for some reason, but I do agree with the thread starter, and I guess meta, that if you want to target the masses for large profit margins, its probably best to advertise release videos with both apple and android.

So what your saying is....If you have an iPhone.....Your good to go!:D That's what kind of what I was hinting at for meta, considering the mavic comes with a LIGHTNING cable. Almost like DJI expected this drone to be the most compatible with......drum roll......IPHONE:eek::confused:;) People get very sensitive about what phone they use for some reason. I just want a phone for phone calls.:rolleyes:

It also comes with a micro usb cable.

Whats the USB port for anyway? Does it provide needed data to the phone?

considering the mavic comes with a LIGHTNING cable. Almost like DJI expected this drone to be the most compatible with......drum roll......IPHONE
I don't think it's a secret that DJI employees love iPhones (or Apple devices in general). And, I'll be honest -- they work well with DJI GO. But, as noted above, there is some love in the box for Android fans too.

InTheBox.png

Actually if you look at the link I posted in the previous post, it looks like all the connector types plug into a micro usb port on the controller itself. So looks like it was designed for Android. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31