Dji vision app. Fails to recognize the camera on my PV2+

Reaction score
Hi there , first understand that I'm a 73 year old who is almost completely computer illiterate. The background is that I flew the phantom as soon as I got it but did not use the camera no problem with the quick flight which was just to make sure that the phantom arrived from China alive . However for the past week I have been trying to get the camera to work . I'm doing indoors ( NO PROPS). It doesn't matter what I've tried I can't get the DJI VISION APP to recognize any other network than my home network. It refuses to recognize the camera . When I try to get it to find my PHANTOM it places it in the Atlantic a few hundred miles south of GHANA . If I try to rename the SSID of the Range Extender, it thinks for a couple of mins and then says that "GET REPEATER INFO FAILED"
I have contacted dji customer service even waiting on hold for more than an hour on three seperate days (hey I'm retired and partly disabled, what else do I have to do until I get this bird in the air) have also tried emails to China and the USA all they tell me is to follow the instructions in the manual. NO HELP.
So is there anyone out there who is willing to help ( please no difficult computer talk) I was educated before there was a computer in every school never mind on every desk. Yes it seems hard to believe that I worked as an Engineering Manager making integrated circuits for people like Intel, Apple and Dell but never picked up much software knowledge.
So please help.

The English Guy said:
Hi there , first understand that I'm a 73 year old who is almost completely computer illiterate. The background is that I flew the phantom as soon as I got it but did not use the camera no problem with the quick flight which was just to make sure that the phantom arrived from China alive . However for the past week I have been trying to get the camera to work . I'm doing indoors ( NO PROPS). It doesn't matter what I've tried I can't get the DJI VISION APP to recognize any other network than my home network. It refuses to recognize the camera . When I try to get it to find my PHANTOM it places it in the Atlantic a few hundred miles south of GHANA . If I try to rename the SSID of the Range Extender, it thinks for a couple of mins and then says that "GET REPEATER INFO FAILED"
I have contacted dji customer service even waiting on hold for more than an hour on three seperate days (hey I'm retired and partly disabled, what else do I have to do until I get this bird in the air) have also tried emails to China and the USA all they tell me is to follow the instructions in the manual. NO HELP.
So is there anyone out there who is willing to help ( please no difficult computer talk) I was educated before there was a computer in every school never mind on every desk. Yes it seems hard to believe that I worked as an Engineering Manager making integrated circuits for people like Intel, Apple and Dell but never picked up much software knowledge.
So please help.

Hope to help a bit, think the reason is that the Phantom is on your home network and therefore can't see your machine.
Don't know what you are using, pc or mac - iPhone or something else. Bottom line might be that yo need to get the phantom to connect to it's own network (wi-fi extender). If you are using Apple products it is as simple as looking in settings-wi-fi, click your home network and choose "forget this network". Then try to connect to Phantom.
hope this helps somewhat.
Cheers.

OK english guy......

try this sequence :

1. turn transmitter on
2. turn range extender on
3. power up the phantom
4. on your phone, find "settings" and click on "wifi" - this will show you what networks your phone can see
5. wait until your phone finds the phantoms own network (usually called something like Phantom_60er71 or similar).....this can take 30-40 seconds
6. when it appears on screen, tap on it......it may come up with a security message box, just tap forget
7. your phone will then look for the phantom network again and show it as "open"
8. tap on it and you will get another small dialogue box.....tap on "connect".......this will connect you to the phantom
9. once it says connected, you can go back to the main screen on your phone and tap on the DJI App to open it
10. when it opens you will will see the the network of the phantom displayed at the top hopefully with a steady green light to say it is connected OK
11. click on camera icon, and you should see the picture from your phantom camera

Thats all you need to do every time you start up, and if you are still not getting any joy then you might have to rebind the camera to the range extender, but thats quite easy.

Also well done for removing the props before you tried all this !! If you were near Somerset I would have come and set it up for you !

Let us know how you get on.

You have to admire the guy....73 and flying a phantom.....rock on !!!

Just hope we can get him in the air and enjoy some flying !!

:D

Nice job, Pyro... :D This is exactly what this forum's here for.

-slinger

I just hope im still flying at 73 !!...fair play to him !

;)

Thanks Guys especially pyrophantom , you got me to the place where at last I'm seeing what the camera sees sitting on my table. If the weather clears up I will take it out to see what it does when it's up in the air.
By the way I'm an ex-Brummy left there in 1967 and with wife and 19 month old daughter in tow headed to Boston did a couple of years there then onto Motorola in Phoenix for about 6 years then to Philips (of light bulbs TVs and integrated circuits fame) they were in Silicon Valley (San Jose) California I was there for just over 30 yrs. then I retired just over 10 yrs ago and moved to about 70 miles north of Seattle, wife,one daughter and myself still British citizens but other daughter born in phoenix and 3 granddaughters all Americans.Weather here very similar to weather in Birmingham. Anyway now I've found this site I will be making use of it. But will leave out all the personal junk.
Once again many thanks

Brilliant !!!.....glad we can help. Are you happy with the setup for flying ??

Important thing before you do is to make sure the calibration is done properly, no keys in your pockets, not near metal objects or power lines etc, no phone.......just you and the phantom and when you spin it on its vertical axis make sure its nose (striped arms) is pointing down.......wait until you get solid green slow flashing lights from the rear leds (the ones with no markings).

When you fire it up in the same sequence as you have done, its always worth formatting the sd card which is in the aircraft before you fly

On your camera screen you will see a small gear wheel symbol on the right of the screen.....tap it and it will bring up a menu on the left hand side and if you scroll to the bottom of that menu right at the very bottom is a small sd card icon with a cross on it, just tap that and tap ok to reformat the card.

Then you are ready to fly. Just take it up to about 10' and let it hover and make sure it is staying more or less in the same place and the rear leds are flashing slow green. Then hopefully you will be ready for the off. Just fly about gently at first until you get used to the controls.

Good luck and enjoy it, its great fun. If you need more help simply come back on here !!

All the best

;)

pyrophantom said:
OK english guy......

try this sequence :

1. turn transmitter on
2. turn range extender on
3. power up the phantom
4. on your phone, find "settings" and click on "wifi" - this will show you what networks your phone can see
5. wait until your phone finds the phantoms own network (usually called something like Phantom_60er71 or similar).....this can take 30-40 seconds
6. when it appears on screen, tap on it......it may come up with a security message box, just tap forget
7. your phone will then look for the phantom network again and show it as "open"
8. tap on it and you will get another small dialogue box.....tap on "connect".......this will connect you to the phantom
9. once it says connected, you can go back to the main screen on your phone and tap on the DJI App to open it
10. when it opens you will will see the the network of the phantom displayed at the top hopefully with a steady green light to say it is connected OK
11. click on camera icon, and you should see the picture from your phantom camera

Thats all you need to do every time you start up, and if you are still not getting any joy then you might have to rebind the camera to the range extender, but thats quite easy.

Also well done for removing the props before you tried all this !! If you were near Somerset I would have come and set it up for you !

Let us know how you get on.

I found another thing that helps. That is to tell the phone (i-device) to forget your home wifi network if you it saved in your phone. Your phone will try to hop onto it first. As mentioned, it takes about 30-45 seconds to recognize Phantom under most circumstances.

Yeah I was keeping it simple and in the middle of nowhere your home network won't show so probably won't need to, just hope it goes fine, with care sure will be ok

same here. hope i am still flying "phantom 10 vision 10 square or whatever the series then when I am 73. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues