DJI Support showing its true nature

Reaction score
So long story short my drone fell out of the sky and was never recovered. Because of this I could never determine the cause of what made it fall out of the sky. DJI did replace the drone which I was extremely excited and happy with. But....... They gave me a drone that is unstable even with a good gps lock and once I take it out for a flight it goes into atti mode and will display a bad compass error. I have re calibrated both the IMU and the compass multiple times and flew in numerous areas and had the same problem almost every time. So I contacted them about it and basically they want me to send it in for repairs, which I feel is unfair being that this was suppose to replace my drone, not be something I get and have to worry about losing because of a defect. Tell me what you guys think and what you would do in my position.

I would give it a few flights. I had the same exact thing happen to me. I lost my drone in the ocean about a little over a month ago. It just fell out of the sky. I guess I was suppose to know not to fly on a partially charged battery. Anyway they replaced it and I was super excited. I got home unboxed it and set to the skys after updating everything to the most current firmware etc. The first 3 or 4 flights I had problems with the same stuff you are saying. In fact there is even a thread on here in which I commented on. Also on DJIs forum as well. However after calibrating the IMU 1 time and the compass about a dozen times in different spots in my yard, it finally came to. At the moment it flys flawlessly. I mean super stable and the video feed finally worked itself out...Again I dont know what is exactly going on with yours and I dont know all the technical stuff that goes on with them. But mine was very shaky to start and now it flys pretty darn good. just my 2 cents..best of luck man.

I'm just curious, did your replacement P3 appear to be brand new, or did it look reconditioned? It might be difficult to tell depending on how well reconditioned ones are dressed up.

I'm just curious, did your replacement P3 appear to be brand new, or did it look reconditioned? It might be difficult to tell depending on how well reconditioned ones are dressed up.
I am going to try re calibrating everything again before sending it off. Lost enough time on it as is when I was waiting on my replacement. It looked new but who knows.

I would also like to add that when I fly straight on the controller it seems like I am flying in a diagonal

Have you done a rc calibration?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have you done a rc calibration?

No I wouldn't even think of that. I am using my old RC from my last drone. I have never had an issue with it but at this point will try anything. How do I go about doing it?

No I wouldn't even think of that. I am using my old RC from my last drone. I have never had an issue with it but at this point will try anything. How do I go about doing it?
There's a video in the DJI Go app academy on all sorts of stuff, including calibrating the RC.
When they refurb the drones, they open or replace the shell. They don't replace the model stickers after refurb.

There's a video in the DJI Go app academy on all sorts of stuff, including calibrating the RC.
When they refurb the drones, they open or replace the shell. They don't replace the model stickers after refurb.
So are you saying there is a way I could find out if mine is refurb?

Def need to recalibrate the rc. I had to in my situation

Chances are it was a refurb. They sent me one, and swore it was new. It showed signs of wear on the shell, and a scratch on the camera. Inspect it closely.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Chances are it was a refurb. They sent me one, and swore it was new. It showed signs of wear on the shell, and a scratch on the camera. Inspect it closely.

Did you argue and try to get a new one?

So uodate. I did a calibration of all systems to include gimbal IMU compass and RC. So far so good but I only flew around my neighborhood and didn't want to push it because its night here. I will see how she does tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone

They're more than likely refurbs. Like the old Xbox 360's. When you get a RROD and send it in for "repairs" they send you a reconditioned Xbox 360 as a replacement - so as not to interrupt your game play. They actually had a note that said this. I was like, "I want MY Xbox, not a refurb!"

Reactions: Lefty63
just like phones, when you buy a brand new 700 dollar phone if they send you another one under any situation, they send you a refurb, that's BS to me, especially if it was something wrong with the phone and not an insurance thing, although that's messed up too.

as for this problem, I'd be happy as hell if DJI gave me a drone refurb or not if mine fell out of the sky

Reactions: RadRich
I'd be happy as hell if DJI gave me a drone refurb or not if mine fell out of the sky
+1

Some of these guys totally lost the drone, like never found it again, or user error and DJI sent them a replacement?! Am I understanding the title of this thread correctly? Is DJI's true nature is to be helpful and considerate of their customers?

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
I'm not one to question another mans expectations. I will share mine.

If I lost my AC over water after commencing the flight with a 50% battery I would be singing praise for DJI. I wouldn't expect a bnand new AC. I wouldn't expect it to fly right straight out of the delivery truck before I calibrated it either.

Look around at those who had an unrecoverable AC and best they got was 15 to 50% off a new bird.

Al l I'm reading between the lines in your complaining is you got looked after exceptionally well.

So uodate. I did a calibration of all systems to include gimbal IMU compass and RC. So far so good but I only flew around my neighborhood and didn't want to push it because its night here. I will see how she does tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone

Reactions: Lefty63
Did you argue and try to get a new one?

I did get a brand new P3P, however my situation was quite different. I didn't lose mine. I sent it in for (user caused) repairs, and they lost my original drone. Long story.
Like others have said, it's common practice to send a refurb. A refurb unit is better than no unit. I hope you have good luck with it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik