DJI statement of Battery life ......

Reaction score
Having requested information - this is the reply, I have not copied the last part which is just repeats of manual texts.....

It appears from this wording that the Warranty is 1 year or 200 cycles, NOT battery life. The wording does say 'if it fails after .....' giving impression that battery life is not fixed at the 200 cycles. To try and fix at 1 year anyway would be impossible as no one can predict shelf time at sellers.
Therefore I assume that someone in the past has misunderstood DJI cycle statement and started this 200 cycle life myth.

"Dear Nigel,

Thank you for contacting DJI NL Support.

In regards to your query on cycle life of the Intelligent battery, these are good for 200 cycles or 1 year or which comes sooner. In the event that the battery fails within these period, we can execute a repair for the battery (if not physically damaged or swollen). If the batteries went faulty after the given period, then we will advise valued customers to purchase a new battery which will have a fresh 1 year/200 cycle warranty.

As these are intelligent batteries, the battery LED indicator will show as to how much charge these batteries have."

I did ask if the counter can be reset in event battery is still good - DJI of course replied 'not possible'.

Nigel

Last edited:
Are you suggesting this is the usual life of a battery or what the DJI warranty covers? It sounds like the latter.

msinger said:
Are you suggesting this is the usual life of a battery or what the DJI warranty covers? It sounds like the latter.

Thought my text was clear - I understand the DJI statement to say - Warranty is 1year or 200 cycles whichever comes first.

Bit like your car ---- 12000 miles or 2 years etc.

Nigel

Please - I just cut and pasted DJI Lau's reply from DJI Technical Support.

I am planning on replying to him later when I have better connection. At moment I am moving my operations base and will contact him later today.

He clearly states 'new 1 year / 200 cycle warranty' ..... so that will be one of my questions to him.

Nigel

I realize that. I was just noting that there seems to be some confusion somewhere.

Confusion seems to be on their side ..... !

Nigel

I realize that. I was just noting that there seems to be some confusion somewhere.
Yes, here is a link, of where this got started, 200 charges.

P3S Charging or Not?

@solentlife was trying to get DJI, to give answer on the 200 cycle myth or fact.

Yes, now we have a new twist. 6 months or year. :rolleyes:

Nigel, I see why your started a new thread. It wasn't really related to the original post, it would have probably help others that seen this new thread, with a link of why you posted this info, on your first post. @msinger seen a conflict with warranty, which is now another twist, at least the 200 cycle thing is clearer, I was ready to set my discharge to 10 days, or what every the max is.

Rod

Rod ... why are you muddying the waters ?

The 200 cycle comment has been made long before that P3S charging thread, in fact commented in 3 different forums that I know off.

I decided to not link threads for very good reason - because it is a statement from DJI themselves and deserved being separate.

The matter of the 6 month vs 1 year warranty is actually irrelevant to the subject of battery life, but one I am already taking up with DJI.

My whole point was to get correct information for all - to remove the myth factor.

Sorry if I sound upset - I am not - I am just being straight and to the point in my answer. It is way I was brought up - to be straight and to the point.

Nigel

So in effect making it ~500 cycles ..... bit better than 200 ! But that is Litchi ?
If you charge from example 70% to full is that 1 cycle or counted as part ?

Still less than most LiPo will deliver.

OK .... how many flights per battery ..... i would expect to use a battery twice in 3 days ... I travel for work so I gave less available time slots and I have 2 battery's.
500/2x3 .... 750 days .... approx. 2 years.

I have LiPo's of more than 5 .... 7 yrs age still working good.

Nigel

Rod ... why are you muddying the waters ?

The 200 cycle comment has been made long before that P3S charging thread, in fact commented in 3 different forums that I know off.

I decided to not link threads for very good reason - because it is a statement from DJI themselves and deserved being separate.

The matter of the 6 month vs 1 year warranty is actually irrelevant to the subject of battery life, but one I am already taking up with DJI.

My whole point was to get correct information for all - to remove the myth factor.

Sorry if I sound upset - I am not - I am just being straight and to the point in my answer. It is way I was brought up - to be straight and to the point.

Nigel

I'm done,

I give up, you always find something wrong in replies.

I believe you are smart and are trying to help others, same as I.

Its probably differences in culture. "Sorry if I sound upset - I am not"
But you can't give any credit of what I posted, It was obvious no use to this thread, as you see.

To me, most of your replies to all members are corrections.

Rod

Yes that is with Litchi. The DJI battery shows 4 LEDs till it gets down to 90% for battery life. I am assuming for now they will match up. DJI doesn't count every partial charge as 1 cycle. But it does seem to favor bumping it up more often than I think it should.

Yes I still have LiPo's that are over 15 years old that are still going. Although in many RC clubs that I have been in usually recommend replacing batteries every year. Not that some of us followed this or anything. :)

Given that I have well over 50 models all ready to go with also fuel jobs - the number of lipo's I have are counted in boxes !

Only people I know who go for short term life and replacement are the race / speed boys I fly with. I was heavily involved in Need for Speed and pushing lipo's well over their ratings .... I stopped when I was destroying 4S 1600 lipos every second flight !

1 year ! Not on my money ! Even my high power EDF's will have same lipo for significantly longer than that.

Nigel

I haven't flew any of my gas crafts in about 6 years now. My gas helicopter needs a new clutch (about 15 bucks) after I burned it out flying 3D one day. It was hard to land when your tail is spinning as fast as your rotors. If I was up higher I could have tried autorotation to bring it in. Although with the clutch slipping like it was, it probably won't be much better.

My avatar is my display trio ....

Which I have now added to with gasoline powered Zlin Z50 and 4str powered FW190 .....

YouTube : solentlifeuk

I love all models .... have boats as well .... used to race cars as well ...

Nigel

I am planning on replying to him later when I have better connection. At moment I am moving my operations base and will contact him later today.

He clearly states 'new 1 year / 200 cycle warranty' ..... so that will be one of my questions to him.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel, let us know what you find out.

Just rec'd this from DJI .....

zhao chao (DJI)
Dec 23, 20:01 HKT

Dear DJI customer,

Greeting! Thank you for contacting DJI Tech Support.
A) our battery warranty in EU is 1 year/200 times cycle which comes sooner. you can check the cycle times in battery information page DJI GO.
B)There is no statement whether battery will stop working after 200 times or not.

1.For phantom battery it consists of 4 cells inside. Each cells has its own voltage. The voltage difference should not be over 200 mV between each cells which is so-call balance. OFC our APP is able to detect the unbalance and notify our customer.

2. Each LED stands for 25% battery life and the two status (blinking and solid light) stands for 12.5% battery life.

3.Correct, the app will not allow drone to take off if the battery life is 0%

Please feel free to contact us should you have any question

Merry Christmas.
DJI Tech Support.

Nigel Luther
Dec 23, 08:02 HKT

Dear Lau,

I am now confused by your reply.

A) Warranty of battery's is 6 months / 200 cycles, whichever first - but you say 1 year or 200 cycles.
B) There is no statement defining whether battery stops working at 200 cycles or not. Your reply suggests battery continues after 200 but is inconclusive.

I have three further questions :

1. When does the battery 'balance' ? Is this conducted during charge, at end of charge or during auto-discharge ? Please can you state clearly when balancing of cells occurs.

2. How does the battery LED system calculate life % ? Is it a % of the 200 cycles or based on other information such as Internal Resistance of cells etc. ?

3. Manual states that when 'life check' indicates 0% - it must be replaced. Does this mean that aircraft will refuse to fly once this check 0% is reached ?

Again the reply is not quite answering ......

Nigel

For (A) it sounds like within the EU the battery warranty is 1 year and no more than 200 cycles. Probably 6 months and less than 200 cycles for everybody else.

(3) From what I read above, the DJI GO App won't let you fly if your battery life is zero. But it is just the App stopping you. If you want to fly with just the transmitter and the quad or use some other App like Litchi, it will continue to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20