DJI response regarding warranty with older firmware

Reaction score
C/P :

"Dear customer,
Thanks for contacting DJI Netherlands Support Center.
you can downgrade the firmware if you think that is better for you.
Also, the warranty is defined by the version of the firmware.
Hope that you have been informed.
Kind regards "

Can someone please decode this ? Do we have warranty if we fly with 1.8.80 or not ?

Reactions: Yiannis.B
I've seen a few people mention DJI will not honor their warranty if not running the latest firmware. However, there is no such language in DJI's warranty.

It would be best to ask DJI directly. If they insist the warranty does not cover Phantoms on older versions, then the next logical question would be to ask why that's not stated in the warranty.

I have asked them directly in EU over email and this is the answer I got. I dont know what they meant with this sentence the warranty is defined by the firmware version. I have asked them to clarify, I always want to fly with latest version but not if it will crash or get lost.

"Also, the warranty is defined by the version of the firmware.
Hope that you have been informed.
Kind regards "

Can someone please decode this ? Do we have warranty if we fly with 1.8.80 or not ?

What to decode ? This answer is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Instead of fooling customers to be beta testers, they better get their arse down, to write proper code, and fully test both firmware and hardware before final product.

Imagine PC/laptop users, to not be covered by warranty, because they didn't flashed the BIOS to the latest version. :D

Last edited:
looks like dji are trying to get more happy customers not

Decode the meaning of that response, I cannot see if we have warranty if on older firmware or not. I am on the latest version but I would like to know if I go to the field, turn it ON, it says there is an update, I ignore it for that flight and it crashes and they say thank you and goodbye.

Decode the meaning of that response, I cannot see if we have warranty if on older firmware or not. I am on the latest version but I would like to know if I go to the field, turn it ON, it says there is an update, I ignore it for that flight and it crashes and they say thank you and goodbye.
There is no requirement for older versions to be connected to the Internet, so that answer won't fly, so to speak.

I have heard of cases where DJI replaced Phantoms flying older firmware when the cause of the loss was confirmed to be hardware malfunction.

I have heard of cases where DJI replaced Phantoms flying older firmware when the cause of the loss was confirmed to be hardware malfunction.
Agreed.

We routinely hear about replacements and repairs for hardware malfunctions, no matter the FW version. Of course, that's as long as it's within the warranty period as was defined at the time of your purchase and if you haven't done any modding. User error is the cause of a large percentage of the issues we hear about of the forum. For those, it's not as clearly defined. Mostly we've seen warranty requests denied (as they should be) in cases of user error, though we've also heard of DJI offering good will discounts in some cases.

If anyone remembers, DJI had made it impossible to downgrade firmware about a year ago, then when many pilots stated that thier aircraft was not the same after a update or was causing some kind of issue or issues, started asking DJI to make it so that it was possible to downgrade to previous version, they made it so. Unless it was stated as a mandatory update. Many pilots like myself have kept all firmware versions backed up although some may install and some not. The way I see it according to DJI's website, is If the previous FW is available for download, then they should honor the aircraft warranty with that version. This should be noted in thier warranty statement if it is not covered.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Official clarification from DJI:

"Dear customer,

thank you for your email,

It does not matter which firmware version you have.

Warranty is explained on our website.

Please go to http://www.dji.com/service/policy

kind regards,

Thanks for choosing DJI"

Official clarification from DJI:

"Dear customer,

thank you for your email,

It does not matter which firmware version you have.

Warranty is explained on our website.

Please go to http://www.dji.com/service/policy

kind regards,

Thanks for choosing DJI"
There should be no doubt that they will deny the warranty to someone because of firmware. Obviously ot will be incorrect but they will still do it at some point. Good to have the email though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik