DJI repair service (after DBS-MOD)

Reaction score
Recently had two unrelated issues with my P3P. First, both the antennas on my controller snapped off, so rather than have them repaired by DJI I opted for the DBS-MOD. While waiting for the DBS-MOD Kit to arrive my gimbal stopped responding to the tilt wheel (X1). Long story short, I tried everything I could find on the forums as far as troubleshooting with no resolution. So I've contacted DJI and have an RMA for repair. My question is whether anyone has sent in their system with a DBS-MOD installed and if so, did DJI gave you any grief? My camera and gimbal are still under warranty for about another month.

I know the gimbal issue isn't related to the antenna issue because everything else (flight, camera feed, etc.) operates just fine.

Thanks!

Well, actually, they could be somewhat related if the DBS antenna is not properly connected or your Tx is not correctly sending the gimbal signal. Check all of your camera's ribbon cables and make sure that the motor has not popped out. FYI, I have no experience with antenna mods, just guessing here! :)

Any time you open the case, you have potential issues with moving those entertainingly small ribbon cables as DD suggests.

Have you reopened the case and pushed everything back?

Gimbal tilting is not related to antenna issue as you are able to communicate with P3. Look at the wheel connections, you will find out something wrong there like wire snapped, dry solder ....

DJI may not accept your modified RC for free repairs.

That's
Well, actually, they could be somewhat related if the DBS antenna is not properly connected or your Tx is not correctly sending the gimbal signal. Check all of your camera's ribbon cables and make sure that the motor has not popped out. FYI, I have no experience with antenna mods, just guessing here! :)
that's a valid point. I just installed my mod and noticed a few things. First the molding done on the latest controllers at least, is so THIN that I had two crack after taking the transmitter apart. I know not to over tighten screws, especially plastic molded female post like the ones on the TXer. After my install the video button didn't work, and as I just had the thing apart I knew there was a 99% chance I did something. Sure enough a ribbon cable came off not at the button but on the IC board.
So a couple days later I grab the P3P and there is rattling inside the controller!? Ive since redone the whole inside using locktite, and a hardener/glue type putty inside the cavities where the screws go, and used to go. This actually worked really well because where they had stripped and didn't tighten anymore, now they snug down and stay in.
So the DBS mod was the easy part, fixing the transmitter after opening it up wasn't hard, just a little confusing at first and aggravating.
To be fair, I've read glowing reviews about this antenna, and now not so sure I even needed it. I saved my old antenna, didn't cut wires like instructed, I may put them back even. Wish I knew if I could pigtail and use all three antenna.
So, good luck but do you even have to send the TX in with the bird? I guess so if your asking, otherwise keep it at home and don't say a word, nothing done on the bird side they would never know.

DD, the gimbal issue actually preceded the mod. I continued to fly (with antennas taped in place) for 3-4 flights before the gimbal issue happened. After doing the mod, the gimbal issue persisted, but since it preceded the mod they're most likely not related.

alokbhargava, the wheel connection is good. One troubleshooting step I went through was calibrating the controller, which showed that the wheel was working just fine (not sure if you've done an RC calibration, but it shows 0-100 signal for each stick and the X1 wheel).

That's

that's a valid point. I just installed my mod and noticed a few things. First the molding done on the latest controllers at least, is so THIN that I had two crack after taking the transmitter apart. I know not to over tighten screws, especially plastic molded female post like the ones on the TXer.

Funny, same exact thing happened to me. I blew out two of the four case screws. Got one of those to two bite into the last couple threads, so now my controller has three of four screws. Kind of a bummer, but worth it if I get the range as was advertised. Funny how the installation video doesn't show him putting the controller back together. I wish we had been warned about over-tightening those!

So now if you had issues with something on the Phantom unit itself, do you think DJI would repair it? Say if the gimbal were still within the warranty period, but your controller has been modded?....are they just going to blame the issue on the mod and charge for the repair?

I would do as the other posted suggested. If the issue is only with the drone - only send in the drone. They will never know about the mod and your warranty won't be affected. There is no requirement to send in the RC. That being said - if the problem is actually with the RC - not the gimbal - then you'll have wasted time and money by sending them to wrong piece. They'll pair it with a remote in the shop and see that it works fine and send it back to you as non-defective.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic