DJI Released The Gimbal Today??

DSLR Pros are advertising. $700, plus the controller. They will install and configure if you want.

Seems pricey to me.

D

Everyone is selling it for 699 best is buying it throug
A autorized dealer from dji by checking on their
Website

Am I the only guy who thinks this is overpriced?

We bought the entire Phantom kit for the same $$.

Its 2 motors, some carbon fiber and yes, some R&D. But its $700 plus an interface card, installation and shipping. Not much change from $850, I assure you.

I think the Arris is the right price. I have yet to see it universally accepted, but I'm going to bet they, or someone else will work it out.

Nope, sorry DJI, I love my Phantom, but this unit is too much $

Comments?

D

CameraGuy said:
Am I the only guy who thinks this is overpriced?

We bought the entire Phantom kit for the same $$.

Its 2 motors, some carbon fiber and yes, some R&D. But its $700 plus an interface card, installation and shipping. Not much change from $850, I assure you.

I think the Arris is the right price. I have yet to see it universally accepted, but I'm going to bet they, or someone else will work it out.

Nope, sorry DJI, I love my Phantom, but this unit is too much $

Comments?

D

ditto -

from what i've seen of posted videos, since i'm still waiting for my gimbal from hobby-wing which is still stuck in customs, there is virtually no difference in the quality of the two. and if my assessment is correct, or even if the arris gimbal performs at 90% of what DJI's performance is, at 50% of the price, the arris gimbal is still a better option for the price.

I think I understand DJI's price. If you are really serious about the quality of the video, what other option is there? I can spend $2k on the Phantom, gimbal and camera or what?? The next option is several times that...

Darrell1 said:
I think I understand DJI's price. If you are really serious about the quality of the video, what other option is there? I can spend $2k on the Phantom, gimbal and camera or what?? The next option is several times that...

I fully agree mate. Some people have been complaining that it is only for 1 type of camera, the GoPro H3. Well the Phantom itself was built around the Go Pro and marketed as such from the outset. It is good that you can adapt it to take other cameras and that there are accessories made by Third Parties to accommodate them but at the end of the day DJI intended it for the Go Pro and the H3 series is the latest whether it is White, Silver or Black. After all, the White and Silver equate to the original H1 and the H2 but in a smaller and lighter package. I suspect DJI were fully aware 3rd Party manufacturers would make Gimbals catering for many variants and some were on the market long before the Zenmuse was even announced. So focussing on a dedicated product which is likely to outshine the competition is a smart move in my book. If you are going to spend that sort of money on the Phantom and Gimbal then purchasing even a White isn't going to be to much of a hinderance. Fortunately there are offerings out there to suit varying budgets but with varying performance.

The combination is probably going to be as good as it gets within the price bracket.

May be someone will come up with an alternative frame to mount the H1 & 2 cameras to the Gimbal if the settings can be tweaked to accommodate them but then there are other unofficial products that already cater for them? DJI have obviously set it up for an H3 and don't want to be flooded with complaints of it misbehaving with other equipment fitted hence the disclaimer warnings about fitting filters and the like. That way it is down to the individual to tweak it.

As a Go Pro H3 user I have no complaints. I also suspect that there will be no shortage in demand.

If it is your intention to use something different and heavier then you need something more capable and that comes at quite a price.

Im not thinking much about H1 or H2 cameras as I have those but havent used them much since getting the h3 black, I have never flown anything other then the black on my Phantom anyway. On current release schedule Hero 4 should be due in about 4 months and Id hate to have this gimbal and not be able to use it on the new camera.

HALF MOON BAY, CA (October 24, 2011) – GoPro today announced the release of its new HD HERO2® camera. Twice as powerful as GoPro’s original HD HERO camera, the HD HERO2 enables consumers and professionals to capture and broadcast their lives’ most exciting moments in professional quality 1080p HD video and 11 megapixel photos. The new HD HERO2 is now available at Our Online Store, specialty retailers around the world, Sport Chalet and at Best Buy for MSRP US$299.99.

October 17, 2012 At 12:01 AM PST time, the new GoPro HERO3 was released for sale. The Hero3 is 30 percent smaller and 25 percent lighter than its predecessor. It also has a 2x faster image processor, 4x higher resolution, 2x faster frame rates, 3x faster photo capture, 2x better low-light performance, sharper lens, waterproof to 60M, improved sound and if that all wasn’t enough they also included built in Wi-Fi which combined with the new phone app will allow you to live-stream your images or video. Using the free GoPro App which is currently out for IOS and soon to be for Android you will also be able to use your smartphone or tablet as a live video remote control – yep seriously!

Darrell1 said:

Of course, this is just pure conjecture, but I can't imagine DJI doing the engineering and manufacturing setup and all that to have their sales come to a grinding halt less than a year after release of the Phantom gimbal. That's what I is going to happen if the next generation GoPro is incompatible with the H3. It seems that DJI must be tight enough with GoPro to be confident of what the new camera specs are going to be, at least with regard to how it will work with their product(s).

I love my Phantom dearly, but it's sole purpose for me is as a camera platform, so I'm going to put the bucks into it that I think will do the best job. That's not to knock anyone else's decision on their gimbal, though, since other options do look pretty darn good.

GeneL said:
I can't imagine DJI doing the engineering and manufacturing setup and all that to have their sales come to a grinding halt less than a year after release of the Phantom gimbal. That's what I is going to happen if the next generation GoPro is incompatible with the H3.

I disagree. This is just how the world of technology works. In 6 months, there could be a better/incompatible GoPro. Then, DJI modifies and redesigns a new gimbal for the new camera. Maybe they continue to sell the old one, maybe not. Then, it's up to us if we wish to upgrade both camera and gimbal to the latest and greatest...

In fact, I'm guessing they would like them to NOT be compatible. It's a great excuse to come out with a new product to get more money.

I bought the go pro 1 at NAB 2010, and it served me well.

Then are now owned 20% by the Foxcom, the people who make everything Apple and many other electronics. I'm sure the $200 million they paid to buy that amount.

Maybe we will see a 4k 30, 60p version this fall.

D

Darrell1 said:
In fact, I'm guessing they would like them to NOT be compatible. It's a great excuse to come out with a new product to get more money.

That's quite possible! By that, though, it's just as possible DJI will introduce a new Phantom that is incompatible with BOTH the H3 and current GoPro. Will I then buy all three just to chase the technology? I don't think so.

No matter what happens with future GoPro's many will still be happy with a hero3 black even after the next camera comes out, I dont see many people buying the current gimbal for the h3b and in 4-6 months time upgrading to a new gimbal and GoPro that may easily be another $1000+ if this doesn't fit the new gimbal. Who knows how close DJI is working with GoPro on this but GoPro has been known to keep things very close to its chest and little tidbits of info only come out a week or so before a new cam release once bestbuy gets info and delivery it seems :lol:

Performance wise the DJI solution is still well ahead of all the others from what I have seen that can be used on a Phantom so I will likely end up getting this and just hope there is an upgrade path for the next gopro if needed without purchasing an entire gimbal again.

Well, for one Gopro has never changed the port, or how accessories are hooked up. I know my screen from the original HD Hero still fits the black, and can still be used. It makes sense to keep accessories compatible with generation changes. Gopro knows this and they might have software, or design changes but the port will always be the same. I would bet the next few generations are.going to use the same port as the last 4 generations. No worries, and as stated before, the Black is such a great platform for video and photography, you dont really need the next version.

CameraGuy said:
Maybe we will see a 4k 30, 60p version this fall.

I wouldn't bet on it, unless it's a compromise on image quality.

The bottleneck isn't the camera chip or processor card, but the speed of the MicroSD cards
-they're barely able to keep up with 2.7k at 30fps with Protune.

guess it's inevitable that someone will come out with a greater than Class10 MicroSD card
-or perhaps a new card will be developed that incorporates multiple cards for greater speed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4