DJI refutes rumors on the P4/P5 with interchangeable lenses.

Reaction score
Interesting article on DPreview in regards to the recent rumors of the P4/P5 silver drone with interchangeable lenses. Per DJI it was a unique drone made for an enterprise client? Hard to believe that they could spend the R&D for this for only one client. But so it goes.

A moderator on the DJI forum made the suggestion months ago.
That DPreview wrote this up without any intelligent enquiry is pretty weak.
DJI's debunked nothing.
Most of the comments to that article seem to have it nailed.
That the camera and lenses are a custom build for an enterprise customer is not credible
To borrow a popular phrase, it's fake news.

Reactions: Slim.Slamma
It is a custom built drone for an enterprise with certain needs.

The enterprise is DJI, the need is dev of new Phantom version. The rep wasn’t lying :D

Reactions: Meta4
More than likely the camera and lenses that will be on the phantom 5 but I’m guessing the p5 may either be a bit bigger in size with bigger motors and props or at least bigger motors and different pitched props to handle the extra weight of the camera setup.

Reactions: WetDog
I have been inhaling every bit of DJI news I could find since last fall. I went through all the OsitaLV ups and downs along with the 'predictions' from all the YouTube pundits, and I have come to one conclusion. You will not know what DJI is releasing until your information comes from DJI directly in the form of an announcement. Everything else is just guessing and anybody's guess is as good as the next.

Reactions: Paul2660
I agree, it's too much work for only one client. Odds are in Sept 2018 Photokina, will have show up in a more formal product. As stated previous, odds are the lenses are being worked up on current Phantom product, in a separate design/development process. May see them on a P4 body as shown or totally new one.

Personally interchangeable lenses to me are a mixed bag on a drone, as the sensor will be full of dust pretty quickly. Most modern mirrorless camera have a process to clean the sensor since they all have a sonic/vibration process. This doesn't get off all the dust but helps a lot.

Can't wait for the posts on dust on my sensor with drone photography and in Video, dust may be a bit harder to clear up, I guess there is some way to remove a spec from an entire video in one process, as there are cloning tools out now. But dust will for sure be a new problem with an interchangeable lens drone. I would love to see IBIS on a drone camera, as that would add greatly to image sharpness and finer details.

Paul Caldwell

I have been inhaling every bit of DJI news I could find since last fall. I went through all the OsitaLV ups and downs along with the 'predictions' from all the YouTube pundits, and I have come to one conclusion. You will not know what DJI is releasing until your information comes from DJI directly in the form of an announcement. Everything else is just guessing and anybody's guess is as good as the next.
Osita has good information and is the only original source that's showed up.
He's proved to be very accurate a number of times.
All the rest are either guessing or making comments on the material that Osita makes public.
I have a lot of faith in him. Not so much for most of those that rehash what he shows.

I agree, it's too much work for only one client. Odds are in Sept 2018 Photokina, will have show up in a more formal product. As stated previous, odds are the lenses are being worked up on current Phantom product, in a separate design/development process. May see them on a P4 body as shown or totally new one.

Personally interchangeable lenses to me are a mixed bag on a drone, as the sensor will be full of dust pretty quickly. Most modern mirrorless camera have a process to clean the sensor since they all have a sonic/vibration process. This doesn't get off all the dust but helps a lot.

Can't wait for the posts on dust on my sensor with drone photography and in Video, dust may be a bit harder to clear up, I guess there is some way to remove a spec from an entire video in one process, as there are cloning tools out now. But dust will for sure be a new problem with an interchangeable lens drone. I would love to see IBIS on a drone camera, as that would add greatly to image sharpness and finer details.

Paul Caldwell
A halfway decent optical zoom would obviate the need for interchangeable lenses, at the cost of some F stops.

That said, there are more than a handful of DSLR and mirrorless digicam owners out there who don't seem to find sensor dust to be that staggering a challenge.

Anyway, the truth remains elusive. It's entirely possible that the leaked photo was put out there just to judge market response.

Interesting article on DPreview in regards to the recent rumors of the P4/P5 silver drone with interchangeable lenses. Per DJI it was a unique drone made for an enterprise client? Hard to believe that they could spend the R&D for this for only one client. But so it goes.

DJI debunks rumor: Leaked 'Phantom 5' was just a custom-built Phantom 4 Pro

Paul Caldwell
Sorry but I think some are not being realistic about a new P4/5. The P4 Pro is awesome, great camera, flight time, reliability, etc. But DJI is still selling the Inspire 1 Pro with an inferior camera for more or a similar price as the better, newer P4 Pro. I know it's cool to watch it transforming.
DJI sells the Matrice series 200,210 for 3 or 4x's the amount or more than the P4Pro.
Matrice is awesome but for that much money why does anyone think DJI would make a P5 Pro with most of the capabilities of a Matrice for a fraction of the cost of a Matrice?
If there is going to be a new amazing P5Pro or something like that it won't be soon and it won;t be under $2,000.

why does anyone think DJI would make a P5 Pro with most of the capabilities of a Matrice for a fraction of the cost of a Matrice?
Because they can and it will sell its socks off.
There's a huge market for affordable, portable drone for photographers.
The Matrice series have one very important feature that the Phantom can't match.
It can carry a load. It's an industrial drone with lots of potential payloads that a Phantom can never carry.
If there is going to be a new amazing P5Pro or something like that it won't be soon.
Why not?
We've already seen that it's out there as an advanced prototype.
All kinds of effort and expense has already been put into creating that camera and lenses.

This article appears to be the source of the item in the first post and has a little more detail:
https://dronedj.com/2018/05/24/dji-...-5-drone-with-an-interchangeable-lens-system/
The author just accepts DJI's "explanation without much questioning.
Most of the commenters aren't so gullible.

Osita has good information and is the only original source that's showed up.
He's proved to be very accurate a number of times.
All the rest are either guessing or making comments on the material that Osita makes public.
I have a lot of faith in him. Not so much for most of those that rehash what he shows.
Osita did have good information. He also told some lies. I am sure that you are aware of those also.

Sorry but I think some are not being realistic about a new P4/5. The P4 Pro is awesome, great camera, flight time, reliability, etc. But DJI is still selling the Inspire 1 Pro with an inferior camera for more or a similar price as the better, newer P4 Pro. I know it's cool to watch it transforming.
DJI sells the Matrice series 200,210 for 3 or 4x's the amount or more than the P4Pro.
Matrice is awesome but for that much money why does anyone think DJI would make a P5 Pro with most of the capabilities of a Matrice for a fraction of the cost of a Matrice?
If there is going to be a new amazing P5Pro or something like that it won't be soon and it won;t be under $2,000.
An i1 pro inferior to a p4p? In a few was yes when it comes to video quality. Photo quality with interchangeable lenses it’ll walk over the p4p. Against the i1raw it looses in both categories.

Since the Mav Air has trumped the Mav Pro and rendering it obsolete, there are two scenarios.

1) There is a Mavic Pro II coming. If it is, it has to have 1 inch sensor. Otherwise Mav Air still better and no one would buy it since it is bigger. So if it comes it will trump P4P. Meaning if Mav Pro II comes there will be a P5 with interchangeable lenses as we have seen in leaks, or the Phantom line will cease to exist. Because why release a P5 with 1 inch sensor and single lens when you can get that in MPII instead?

2) There is no Mavic Pro II coming. We have seen no leaks of it, just Osita talk. If there is no MPII the P5 or whatever it is called can continue have regular 1 inch sensor with single lens mount as today. Because it hasn’t been trumped by a MPII.

But since we have seen these leaks, I believe there is a MPII with 1 inch sensor in the works, as is a P5 with interchangeable lenses.

MPII probably $1300, P5 maybe $1800.

Edit: Also possible we get a P5 interchangeable and Mav line continues to have 1/2.3 sensor because larger isn’t possible.

Was talks about a 1/1.7 sensor. If that comes to the MP Pro it will come to the Air later too.. might come to the Air first and no more MP.

Last edited:
An i1 pro inferior to a p4p? In a few was yes when it comes to video quality. Photo quality with interchangeable lenses it’ll walk over the p4p. Against the i1raw it looses in both categories.
You are only looking at image quality.
The I1 is inferior in plenty more.
It's flight time is poor (even worse if you carry a big camera) and it's big, heavy and difficult to transport as well as not having a lot of more modern technology.
The P4 pro is all over it in every category apart from the image quality possible from the X5 camera.

Meaning if Mav Pro II comes there will be a P5 with interchangeable lenses as we have seen in leaks, or the Phantom line will cease to exist. Because why release a P5 with 1 inch sensor and single lens when you can get that in MPII instead?
Indications are that the 1" sensor isn't coming to the Mavic.
It can't carry a camera and gimbal that big. Think 1/1.7"
2) There is no Mavic Pro II coming. We have seen no leaks of it, just Osita talk.
Just Osita talk?
Osita came up with accurate sketches of the X7 camera when everyone else was guessing DJI was bringing out something for the Phantom or Mavic.
He had sketches of the P5 back in November which have been confirmed by later photos .
He knew about the Mavic Air a week before anyone else did.
He announced the Master Wheels before anyone had heard of it.
And he's given a lot of info about the Mavic 2.

No-one else has had any leaks or info about any of these and all discussion about any goes back to the original material he's presented.
And you say ... just Osita talk, as if it's of dubious reliability?

I'm aware some people think so.
I wonder if it was just a misunderstanding that got exaggerated because of language issues.
Regardless, I agree that his good stuff was the best stuff that we got prior to the V2 coming out. And, he is certainly better that the drone guru's on YouTube.

Indications are that the 1" sensor isn't coming to the Mavic.
It can't carry a camera and gimbal that big. Think 1/1.7"

Just Osita talk?
Osita came up with accurate sketches of the X7 camera when everyone else was guessing DJI was bringing out something for the Phantom or Mavic.
He had sketches of the P5 back in November which have been confirmed by later photos .
He knew about the Mavic Air a week before anyone else did.
He announced the Master Wheels before anyone had heard of it.
And he's given a lot of info about the Mavic 2.

No-one else has had any leaks or info about any of these and all discussion about any goes back to the original material he's presented.
And you say ... just Osita talk, as if it's of dubious reliability?
I am pretty sure it is reliable as in he is not outright lying. If things turn out as his sources have told him though, neither we or he can know until the product is here.

I said talk because there have been no MPII image leaks as opposed to the P5..

More than likely the camera and lenses that will be on the phantom 5 but I’m guessing the p5 may either be a bit bigger in size with bigger motors and props or at least bigger motors and different pitched props to handle the extra weight of the camera setup.

If you were DJI working on the Phantom 5 - you might do something like this:

- Team A works on the airframe, perhaps bigger motors, better intelligence, quieter props - whatever. Likely an evolutionary step in the Phantom line
- Team B works on another airframe - perhaps a bigger version of a Mavic or some other conceptual change. This is done basically to test ideas, new products (ESCs, motors, etc) and get people in DJI fired up about stuff
- Team C works on the imaging aspects. Newer sensors, upgrades to the video stream, lenses
- Team D works on flight controls

And so on. A product is what happens when the various teams get together and produce something that the upper echelon folks at the company happen to think will sell at a reasonable price point. Then they band together some folks, work on actually producing the product on an assembly line. This is just as hard, if not harder than the actual design.

Then back to the big guys.

And so forth.

What we saw was likely real, but who knows just where in this complex chain the device was. It is possible we will see parts of it on a production product at some point but perhaps not. Maybe it didn't work as well as DJI wanted it to or was too expensive to produce at the price point where marketing was happy about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1