DJI PILOT with iPad 4

Reaction score
I have installed the DJI Pilot APP on my iPad 4. Dont have my Phantom 3 yet. Has anyone tried the iPad 4 with the DJI Pilot App? Does the iPad 4 fit the mount? too thick maybe?
TIA

The pilot app functions I have not tried it in real flight. Too nervous. I would probably take it real slow and see how long the ipad 4 can keep up in an open field. It will mount to the controller though. I use it to view my logs where I sync my ipad mini 2 to the cloud and back to the ipad 4.

If I recall, we've dealt with a couple of gentleman trying to use the 4th gen iPad with their Inspires but playback was extremely choppy. Not 100% positive if it was 4th gen but you wouldn't see any problems until you start playing back a live feed and that's when the processor may not be able to handle it. Don't be surprised if you do see some chop. If you don't, awesome!

May I ask how did you manage to install it? I tried to install here to test and it says the app is not compatible with the Ipad 4.

I am on the complete opposite end... I am ready to order my P3P, but my Ipad 2 wi-fi isnt going to cut it I am afraid. I dont want to drop more $$ on another ipad :|

I am on the complete opposite end... I am ready to order my P3P, but my Ipad 2 wi-fi isnt going to cut it I am afraid. I dont want to drop more $$ on another ipad :|
I purchased a refurb from Apple for 249 for a mini 2 16 go with wifi. Works great

May I ask how did you manage to install it? I tried to install here to test and it says the app is not compatible with the Ipad 4.

i-Funbox is the ticket mate; you download the DJI Pilot app in iTunes, on your PC or MAC, then you search your computer for the dji_pilot.ipa app (I forget what it is actually called, but something like that). Install i-Funbox, point it to the location of the app, and it will write to the iPad. Oh yeah, i-Funbox is free.

http://i-funbox.com/

Last edited:
The pilot app functions I have not tried it in real flight. Too nervous. I would probably take it real slow and see how long the ipad 4 can keep up in an open field. It will mount to the controller though. I use it to view my logs where I sync my ipad mini 2 to the cloud and back to the ipad 4.

Thanks, someone here posted that the iPad 3 was too big for the mount, and the 3 is the exact same size as the iPad 4, so was wondering. There really isn't much speed difference between an iPad 4 and an iPad Air, I would be surprised if there was any difference in performance. Guess we need some testers. Anyone?

My Ipad Air 2 fits fine in the mount. BUT you can not have a case on it. IPad by itself just fits perfect.

Yes but I believe the dimensions are the same besides the thickness. But why would they make the holder not compatible with other ipads? Im sure it will fit. It doesnt make sense that it wouldnt fit.

Yes but I believe the dimensions are the same besides the thickness. But why would they make the holder not compatible with other ipads? Im sure it will fit. It doesnt make sense that it wouldnt fit.

The app is only supposed to be compatible with an iPad Air up, if the iPad 1,2,3 or 4 are larger and they were never intended to be used it would make perfect sense.
I will be able to check later to see if the 4 will fit. What I would say though is I use an iPad mini 2, which size and weight wise imo is perfect, iPad 4s are pretty heavy and I wounder firstly how comfortable holding the remote will be considering even with the mini 2 the balance is pants and secondly how the bracket would hold up.

I have just checked and it will not fit

Last edited:
Has anyone confirmed that the iPad 4 will fit the holder?? Thanks. My Phantom 3 will be here Thursday. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge and iPad 4 as options.

The iPad 4 will not fit the holder, and is also not supposed to be compatible with the Pilot app at all. The iPad 5 and 6 (Air and Air 2) are compatible. They are both narrower than the iPad 4, and even the Air and Air 2 are a tight fit in the holder.

The Mini 2 and Mini 3 both have an A7 processor and both of them struggle with the Pilot app when the outside temperature gets over the mid 90's F. I'd guess that the iPad 4 with an A6 processor would be really tough to use with a P3. Probably too much lag with the FPV to be of any use.

Last edited:
It is hard to believe that an iPad 4 is not fast enough, but apparently it has too slow of a CPU. The new Nvidia Shield 2nd gen (Android) should be available in a few weeks, probably about $300 and it will be plenty fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31