DJI Phantom Vision 2 Camera Specs Seem Off

Reaction score
Ok so I have a Nikon 14mp camera which take pretty awesome photos. Assuming this Vision would be the same, or at least close as they say 14mp as well.
But photos seem very grainy, and just not too sharp at all.

I did some editing to one photo but still the sharpness is just not there? Is this the normal or should I be asking tech support about this?

psmithhouse.jpg

There seems to be quite a lot of compression noise with the jpegs out of the Vision. We're all waiting (more or less patiently) for the previously announced firmware update to allow the camera to shoot in DNG RAW so we can see what it's really capable of. Some people have reported areas of softness either on the right to left of images and have had cameras replaced under warranty due to lens issues.

milezone said:
Ok so I have a Nikon 14mp camera which take pretty awesome photos. Assuming this Vision would be the same, or at least close as they say 14mp as well.
But photos seem very grainy, and just not too sharp at all.

I did some editing to one photo but still the sharpness is just not there? Is this the normal or should I be asking tech support about this?

psmithhouse.jpg

Is this image typical of what you are getting from the Vision camera? I would contact your dealer about a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are two reasons you'll never see photos coming out of the FC200 camera on the Phantom that rival on a pixel-to-pixel level what a DSLR is capable of. One is sensor size, the sensor in the FC200 is small, and this results in more noise between the cells. The other is glass: Your DLSR sports lenses that are themselves many times the size of the FC200 and thus achieve a good "bending" of the light onto the sensor.

Both of these factors are inherent in the hardware.

There is a third reason, but hopefully that is temporary. The JPGs that the FC200 produce are heavily compressed resulting in lots of artifacts, things appearing in the image that weren't projected onto the sensor. DJI has set expectations that the FC200 will be able to record in Adobe's DNG RAW format once they release a firmware upgrade. This will give us the option of deciding our own photo workflow but the price for extra quality is going to be longer capture times and the requirement to push the DNGs through a workflow in order to get nice web or print friendly photos. I am looking forward to it, though, the current JPGs are a bit annoying.

is anyone else seing this really granny/blurry noise when they zoom in on there photos? very weird. You start zooming in a bit a BAM!! here comes the noise

first one has a red box to show where i zoomed in
11863250845_6e0716b5f9_b.jpg

zoomed in noise
11864095716_b13de4716a_o.png

larsplougmann said:
There are two reasons you'll never see photos coming out of the FC200 camera on the Phantom that rival on a pixel-to-pixel level what a DSLR is capable of. One is sensor size, the sensor in the FC200 is small, and this results in more noise between the cells. The other is glass: Your DLSR sports lenses that are themselves many times the size of the FC200 and thus achieve a good "bending" of the light onto the sensor.

Both of these factors are inherent in the hardware.

There is a third reason, but hopefully that is temporary. The JPGs that the FC200 produce are heavily compressed resulting in lots of artifacts, things appearing in the image that weren't projected onto the sensor. DJI has set expectations that the FC200 will be able to record in Adobe's DNG RAW format once they release a firmware upgrade. This will give us the option of deciding our own photo workflow but the price for extra quality is going to be longer capture times and the requirement to push the DNGs through a workflow in order to get nice web or print friendly photos. I am looking forward to it, though, the current JPGs are a bit annoying.

Great post, right on.

djscoutmaster said:
is anyone else seing this really granny/blurry noise when they zoom in on there photos? very weird. You start zooming in a bit a BAM!! here comes the noise

first one has a red box to show where i zoomed in
11863250845_6e0716b5f9_b.jpg

zoomed in noise
11864095716_b13de4716a_o.png

Read the above post. You are asking a lot cropping in that much on a jpg - should be better on a raw file.

djscoutmaster said:
That's not noise - looks like JPEG compression artifacts. Specifically, the 8x8 pixel "macro-blocks" that JPEG breaks each image up into. When we get RAW/DNG update for the P2V camera, your image-processing software (photoshop, lightroom, Picasa, iPhoto, etc) will be able to control how much compression to use when converting to JPEG. By default the P2V is using pretty aggressive JPEG compression, to get smaller file sizes. Hence these "macro-blocks".

Milezone, if your sample is typical, you need to return the camera. That one is the worst I've seen, out of focus almost everywhere. My first one was bad on the right edge and the replacement is bad on the left, about 30% of the image. I am hoping #3 will be the one.

djscoutmaster said:

Nothing weird; it's real world JPEG packing. Or do you expect some "indefinite blowup" capabilities like in scifi stories?

jimre said:
djscoutmaster said:
That's not noise - looks like JPEG compression artifacts. Specifically, the 8x8 pixel "macro-blocks" that JPEG breaks each image up into. When we get RAW/DNG update for the P2V camera, your image-processing software (photoshop, lightroom, Picasa, iPhoto, etc) will be able to control how much compression to use when converting to JPEG. By default the P2V is using pretty aggressive JPEG compression, to get smaller file sizes. Hence these "macro-blocks".

I've noticed this as well. Yours is the best explanation I've seen and makes perfect sense. Now I'll be waiting for the RAW update as well. Thanks a lot for clarifying this...

-slinger

I guess I should say I edited this photo, as I tried to create a "fake" look to the photo. When I get back to my computer I will upload the original photo, just size it of course, and you guys might be able to see better if I have a bad unit.

djscoutmaster said:

You're not talking about the pixels, are you?
Because, unlike CSI, you can't keep clicking on 'enhance' and expect to zoom in on that car's license plate :p

I think for the size of the zoomed in area, and looking at the resulting pixel size, that's about what you can expect for an image of that size. I don't think JPEG compression artifacts affect that area too much, since the areas around the car is bush/shrubberies which is pretty random. The car is actually quite well defined, considering how few pixels make it up and how clear the car shape is retained.

Ps: I don't think what's being complained about is the result of macroblock artifacts. There's just not enough pixel to represent the detail of that bush (edges of leaves, etc). You're just overestimating how far down you can zoom in on that picture. Those are pixels.

Ok so today I take the phantom out for some photos and can connect to phantom wifi (after waiting seems like 5 minutes), but the dji app keeps telling me failed to connect to phantom vision. So I cannot even get it to work now. I think the light on back of camera should also be on, correct? If so that is not on either. So I even tried to put camera on the "not wifi" connection and it would not record anything.

So now I am thinking this camera is etiher dead or the wifi connection from quad to controller is bad? Any ideas?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20