DJI Phantom not taking off

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here. I have just purchased a DJI Phantom original. Have done the following pre first flight:

1. Checked props on Nazam
2. Completed Advanced Calibration
3. Updated to latest firmware
4. Ensured props are tightened
5. Full battery charge
6. Calibrated RC
7. Completed manual calibration - spin around vertical and nose up.
8. Lights are green and ready for take off.

I then activate props through my remote and the Phantom doesn't take off. Refer to this video.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsetTUdP3JE[/youtube]

Any thoughts on what i could be doing wrong or is this a lemon?

Thanks
Phil

Are the cw props mounted on the cw shaft and the CCW props on the CCW shaft? If they are mounted incorrectly the air above the props will be pushing "up" instead of "down".

Jerry I've got the 2 silver cap props on the solid silver rotors and the black cap props on the black capped rotors. I assume that is right? In any case the air is definitely pushing down when I up the throttle on the RC.

UrAwFuL said:
Are you holding the throttle up? :?

Yeah you can hear the Phantom increasing power when i throttle up. Essentially I'm taking it to maximum thrust but it doesn't elevate.

philmccreviss said:
UrAwFuL said:

Yeah you can hear the Phantom increasing power when i throttle up. Essentially I'm taking it to maximum thrust but it doesn't elevate.

Yeah, I hear it throttle up.. but I'm curious if you're holding the throttle longer than like.. 3-5 seconds cause like all I hear is the motor revving for a second then it sounds like it went back to neutral. It was pretty evident near the end cause I hear the stick re-centering.

I might be wrong. :lol:

Would like to know more details.

UrAwFuL said:
philmccreviss said:
UrAwFuL said:

Yeah, I hear it throttle up.. but I'm curious if you're holding the throttle longer than like.. 3-5 seconds cause like all I hear is the motor revving for a second then it sounds like it went back to neutral. It was pretty evident near the end cause I hear the stick re-centering.

I might be wrong. :lol:

Would like to know more details.

Ok so do I need to hold the throttle up for longer than 3-5 seconds? I would think as soon as you throttle up, it should take off?

philmccreviss said:
Ok so do I need to hold the throttle up for longer than 3-5 seconds? I would think as soon as you throttle up, it should take off?

I guess I'm wrong. :?

Feels like 2-3 seconds for me from memory.. I would start mines up right now but I don't want to launch in my room. :lol:

Check out this video and skip to 3:20.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK2PlTbvIHc[/youtube]

Thanks mate. I'll give it a try but even when I go full throttle it doesn't take off which is kinda weird. I think in that video the user isn't going full throttle up for it to take off.

Try this in order.

Download RC Assistant if you have not done so. Calibrate the remote sticks and toggles. Close out RC assistant software. Leave remote control on.

Open up Phantom Assistant plug into Phantom turning Phantom on. Calibrate the remote's figures into Phantom so it knows its full ranges.

Run Full IMU calibration on level table. Turn off Phantom and close out software.

In field compass calibration. Keep level rotating counter clockwise 360 degrees until led light changes. Point nose straight down (stripes down) rotate 360 with nose straight down until led changes. Turn off and place on ground. Turn Phantom back on letting IMU re-initiate getting course lock and home locks.

Then commit to flight. No time to be timid. Full throttle up until around 20 feet in air. Let off sticks and evaluate hover before doing all your basic maneuvers to figure out orientation and phantom responsiveness.

Go slow, take your time, and for the love of god (your preference) choose wide open space with no Phantom hungry trees!

philmccreviss said:
Just to clarify, that should be spin around horizontally and then nose down. You can search for Phantom compass calibration on YouTube to see it in action.

Mike said:
philmccreviss said:
Just to clarify, that should be spin around horizontally and then nose down. You can search for Phantom compass calibration on YouTube to see it in action.

Mike, yes sorry mate. I've watched youtube clips on how to compass calibrate and it works fine for me.

philmccreviss said:
Ok should this take longer than 5-10 seconds?
You should definitely be in the air by 5 seconds. Can you post a video of you holding the throttle at full for 5 or 10 seconds so we can see and hear what's happening?

Thanks guys. Rookie mistake. Wasnt holding on to throttle for long enough. I am now flying...albeit really badly. Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm glad the OP finally got his Phantom off the ground, but I just thought I would add another possibility here for anyone else who finds they can't take off and comes across this discussion. You will not be able to take off if you live within an official no-fly zone. That is unfortunate for those who happen to live in surrounding neighborhoods of a large airport, as your phantom will refuse to take off once it knows where it is via GPS satellite connection.

MapMaker53 said:
I'm glad the OP finally got his Phantom off the ground, but I just thought I would add another possibility here for anyone else who finds they can't take off and comes across this discussion. You will not be able to take off if you live within an official no-fly zone. That is unfortunate for those who happen to live in surrounding neighborhoods of a large airport, as your phantom will refuse to take off once it knows where it is via GPS satellite connection.

Well, I've successfully flew around a massive park about ~2-3 miles away from a major airport (and away from their flight path). The Phantom will not lift off of will auto-land if you're 1.5 miles away from the middle of an airport and anywhere between 1.5 miles to 5 gets an ascending altitude restriction, but it's still usuable for me since I'm not a distance flyer.

You shouldn't be flying next to airports in the first place though, lol. :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4