DJI Phantom - Beginner upgrades

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So just about to get my DJI Phantom, been researching it alot. Id like it to get to take some awesome video of scenery around where I live. I have made a list of upgrades id like to get to it over time and would like you to help me priortise it.

So eventually id like to add: arris gimbal, FPV fatshark predator, futaba T8J.

Out of these which do you think the priority should be? Also anything else you think i should consider adding?

Thanks

First Id get good and comfortable flying before using the fat shark or buy a separate transmitter and small lcd screen as you will not feel comfortable trying to fly your phantom with the fat shark unless you fly and someone else uses the goggles. Just fyi as thats what I did. With the lcd you can still see what your doing and what your filming at the same time.

I'd save the money on gimbals and FPV and get a decent video editor that does stabilization. That's weight you save, less money on parts, less loss in a crash, no soldering, and better video than a gimbal.

Roadkilt said:
I'd save the money on gimbals and FPV and get a decent video editor that does stabilization. That's weight you save, less money on parts, less loss in a crash, no soldering, and better video than a gimbal.

Any suggestions on software?

Also what gimbal to people recommened? not top of the line but something that will work well

hammo85 said:
Roadkilt said:

Also what gimbal to people recommened? not top of the line but something that will work well

cheap 299.00 arris 200

hammo85 said:
Hey guys,

So just about to get my DJI Phantom, been researching it alot. Id like it to get to take some awesome video of scenery around where I live. I have made a list of upgrades id like to get to it over time and would like you to help me priortise it.

So eventually id like to add: arris gimbal, FPV fatshark predator, futaba T8J.

Out of these which do you think the priority should be? Also anything else you think i should consider adding?

Thanks

I'd say if you had to put them in order, then buy them in the order you listed.
1-gimbal is a must, otherwise you'll never be satisfied with your footage. (it also includes a isolation mount that helps with jello)
you might also want to consider the Tarot, which is relatively new, but seems to work the same and is under $200
2- FPV is really ideal if you want to see what you're filming, it's definitely a trip and as mentioned, you should gain some line of sight flight time prior so you know what you're doing and how the craft behaves. (or just stay in a wide open field and don't fly far away.
3. Futaba is great in that it has built in audio timers (great for FPV), and a bunch of other little knobs and switches so you can change things up, and it has better range, and gives some additional control of the gimbal. tho you *can* get by with the stock Phantom Tx with a 7th lever. (or add a potentiometer! much more ideal)

Tho that said, if you've got the $, pull the trigger on all three and start enjoying things to the max.

-also want to pick up: dubro prop balancer, extra batteries, a case perhaps, a 2mm driver for opening up the shell and dealing with motors, a very fine phillips screwdriver, a better battery charger (ANY kind is better than stock), additional props, a battery checker and other little tidbits. a soldering iron of course, maybe a switch to install for gimbal+ FPV

sorry phantom shell LOL :lol:

Damnit ;) You had my hopes up, for some fantastic new shell, that had just come to market. I was looking forward to
some bad *** Photon-Phantom, with authentic simulated Photonicness. And that was just the shell :!: The Photon legs,
with their weightless, transparent, sub-photonically progressive tactical grip, and endless accessory connection platform........

I just don't see myself recovering well from this "cssfly"......Not for a while anyway. ;)

Audaciter said:
sorry phantom shell LOL :lol:

Damnit ;) You had my hopes up, for some fantastic new shell, that had just come to market. I was looking forward to
some bad *** Photon-Phantom, with authentic simulated Photonicness. And that was just the shell :!: The Photon legs,
with their weightless, transparent, sub-photonically progressive tactical grip, and endless accessory connection platform........

I just don't see myself recovering well from this "cssfly"......Not for a while anyway. ;)

take two DJI flyspreins with water and call me in the morning !!! You'll feel better I promise :geek: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

Don't bother, get used to the Phantom, and sell your phantom and just buy the vision when it comes out. Got everything you need on that.

Editing I use adobe premiere pro cs6, this has great software stabilization but its still a fair way away from what you get with a good
gimbal.

I think if your looking at all those upgrades you may be better off just starting out on a f450. I do really like my phantom but adding too much extra gear has some issues due to its size and shell. Going 450 you will get the extra room have possibility to use larger batteries and a bit more stability from the larger frame. Its also probably easier to fix as your more likely to just need to replace an arm or 2 in a big crash instead of changing everything into a new phantom shell if you break it.

denodan said:
Don't bother, get used to the Phantom, and sell your phantom and just buy the vision when it comes out. Got everything you need on that.

The Vision is still many months away. and by that time (if not already), it's basically obsolete.
good for stills, but without a brushless gimbal and a vibration isolation system, it'll produce less desirable video.

I've had my Phantom for about half a year,. and definitely considering upgrading to a F450,
and I agree, had I known much about multicopters back than as I do now, (or that i would get hooked), I'd probably have gone with a F450 to start.

hammo85 said:
Roadkilt said:

Adobe After Effects does a nice job of stabilization, it is usually used in conjunction with Premiere Pro to round out the editing capabilities. $$$ but worth it. EXCEPT I WOULDN'T BUY INTO ADOBE'S CC FOR ANYTHING! <Sigh> Any other tools?

Gizmo3000 said:
I've had my Phantom for about half a year,. and definitely considering upgrading to a F450,
and I agree, had I known much about multicopters back than as I do now, (or that i would get hooked), I'd probably have gone with a F450 to start.

Now that you know you can skip the F450 and just go directly to the TBS discovery. I'm working on a BLG for the front of one, most likely a modified Tarot design.

Gizmo3000 said:
Why do you believe the F450 is better than the Phantom. It seems to be the same thing honestly. Seriously though I'd like to know because I have been considering purchasing a Phantom as y first multicopter for some time...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers