DJI Phantom 4 Series Singled Out By Transport Canada

Reaction score
Within the last 48 hours, Transport Canada has notified owners of DJI Phantom 4 series aircraft their drone DOES NOT meet the requirements to enable them to be flown ' near or over ' people.
New regulations governing the operation of drones in Canada come into effect on June 1st.
Drone owners MUST have their drone(s) registered with the registration number marked or attached to their drone.
As well, drone pilots MUST have Transport Canada Drone Pilot Certification- Basic and/or Advanced.

In addition to all this, Transport Canada has now produced a list of drone manufacturers and models of drones and determined which manufacturer/model meets the requirements to fly in controlled airspace;near people; and/or over people.

The DJI Phantom 4 series of aircraft(according to Transport Canada) DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS for them to be flown near or over people.

How ridiculous is this?!
NO EXPLANATION as to how this determination was made.
I have flown Phantom 4 aircraft for over 2 years(as well as flown P2 and P3 aircraft) and this restriction makes NO SENSE.
Particularly the Phantom 4 Pro, which I currently fly, is likely one of THE MOST capable drones out there today. This aircraft should not have any restriction placed on it with respect to operating near people or over people. Obvious safeguards need to be applied to ANY drone when it comes to operating near/over people.....and the competency of the pilot, of course.

On the Transport Canada site there is a list of other drone manufacturers and models (most of which I haven't heard of) that have been approved for use near/over people.

I just have to wonder if DJI is being singled out?
Is politics sneaking into this?

Within the last 48 hours, Transport Canada has notified owners of DJI Phantom 4 series aircraft their drone DOES NOT meet the requirements to enable them to be flown ' near or over ' people.
New regulations governing the operation of drones in Canada come into effect on June 1st.
Drone owners MUST have their drone(s) registered with the registration number marked or attached to their drone.
As well, drone pilots MUST have Transport Canada Drone Pilot Certification- Basic and/or Advanced.

In addition to all this, Transport Canada has now produced a list of drone manufacturers and models of drones and determined which manufacturer/model meets the requirements to fly in controlled airspace;near people; and/or over people.

The DJI Phantom 4 series of aircraft(according to Transport Canada) DO NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS for them to be flown near or over people.

How ridiculous is this?!
I have flown Phantom 4 aircraft for over 2 years(as well as flown P2 and P3 aircraft) and this restriction makes NO SENSE.
Particularly the Phantom 4 Pro, which I currently fly, is likely one of THE MOST capable drones out there today. This aircraft should not have any restriction placed on it with respect to operating near people or over people. Obvious safeguards need to be applied to ANY drone when it comes to operating near/over people.....and the competency of the pilot, of course.

On the Transport Canada site there is a list of other drone manufacturers and models (most of which I haven't heard of) that have been approved for use near/over people.

Hmmmm...Maybe it is as simple as Air Canada getting on that 'Phantom Pilots' site and reading about these Phantom 4s falling out of the sky like raindrops. Just sayin..................

Reactions: lasersbee
Yeah, I don't trust the P4Pro any more than I do any other sUAV. Especially after our Public Safety department P4P shut down suddenly and fell out of the sky while at a event with Baton Police Dept. It dropped from 150 feet with no warning into a corner of the parking lot at BRPD headquarters. It landed in a grassy area but the damage to the aircraft was still pretty bad.
But I have to give DJI some credit. While they didn't give us an explanation of why it crashed, they took care of it fast and repairs were only about $400 since it was well past the warranty date. You hear lots of negative stories about DJI service but not many positive stories. I'm glad they came through for us.
But they will still fall out of the sky without warning so I can understand why Transport Canada is hesitant to clear them for flights over people.

Yeah, I don't trust the P4Pro any more than I do any other sUAV. Especially after our Public Safety department P4P shut down suddenly and fell out of the sky while at a event with Baton Police Dept. It dropped from 150 feet with no warning into a corner of the parking lot at BRPD headquarters. It landed in a grassy area but the damage to the aircraft was still pretty bad.
But I have to give DJI some credit. While they didn't give us an explanation of why it crashed, they took care of it fast and repairs were only about $400 since it was well past the warranty date. You hear lots of negative stories about DJI service but not many positive stories. I'm glad they came through for us.
But they will still fall out of the sky without warning so I can understand why Transport Canada is hesitant to clear them for flights over people.
Any drone by any manufacturer can fall out of the sky without warning. The question is how likely is it. My P4 and P4A drones have been completely reliable over the past three years in hundreds of flights. No flyaways, no mid-air shutdowns, always returned home on signal loss or low battery.

Reactions: DenMac

How ridiculous is this?!

DJI needs to contact transport canada, and specify they have tested the craft, and have deemed it safe to fly over crowds. Basically its government *** coverage, and any class action lawsuits resulting from an injury using DJI equipment falls on them, instead of transport canada for allowing the equipment to be used to begin with. (SFOC requires you state the equipment used, and that equipment must be approved)

The process is ENTIRELY up to manufacturers,3rd party modifiers, or a builder themselves to "accredit the hardware" (meaning you TECHNICALLY could in fact modify your P4, and THEN accredit it yourself. BE WARNED HOWEVER. if something happens, you are on the hook HUUUGGGEEEEEEEEEE ( I mean millions in fines, and damages PLUS whatever someone wants to try and sue you for for their injuries, and such.) You can look into it some more, but I dont think DJI has been singled out. The matrice, mavic, spark, inspire are all on the list of approved equipment.

As stated elsewhere, if youre flying over people anyways, you have an advanced ticket, an SFOC, and insurance should anything happen. ANYTHING SHORT OF THAT IS A TRANSPORT CANADA OFFENCE, and thats a federal charge

I have a phantom four standard and I have been flying it for over two years I fly in at around 2 to 300 feet altitude with a range of close to 2 miles and never have had any problems with it falling out of the sky, flying off or losing reception, she works like a charm. I’m just wondering if the phantom for pro with all the little goodies interferes with the basic usage of a drone? Just wondering.

Reactions: DenMac
DJI needs to contact transport canada, and specify they have tested the craft, and have deemed it safe to fly over crowds. Basically its government *** coverage, and any class action lawsuits resulting from an injury using DJI equipment falls on them, instead of transport canada for allowing the equipment to be used to begin with. (SFOC requires you state the equipment used, and that equipment must be approved)

The process is ENTIRELY up to manufacturers,3rd party modifiers, or a builder themselves to "accredit the hardware" (meaning you TECHNICALLY could in fact modify your P4, and THEN accredit it yourself. BE WARNED HOWEVER. if something happens, you are on the hook HUUUGGGEEEEEEEEEE ( I mean millions in fines, and damages PLUS whatever someone wants to try and sue you for for their injuries, and such.) You can look into it some more, but I dont think DJI has been singled out. The matrice, mavic, spark, inspire are all on the list of approved equipment.

As stated elsewhere, if youre flying over people anyways, you have an advanced ticket, an SFOC, and insurance should anything happen. ANYTHING SHORT OF THAT IS A TRANSPORT CANADA OFFENCE, and thats a federal charge

Neither my Mavic 2 nor my Phantom 4 are cleared for use near people, according to their Certificates of Registration.

Have you heard any word on whether the P3P might be in line for certification

You can not fly within 100 feet of a person At Any Elevation. I wonder what are the chances if flying at 400 feet AGL , 100 feet horizontally from a group of people and the RPAS dies. Does it fall 90 degrees straight down or does auto rotation send it off with a big chance it will hit the crowd even though you were 100 feet away horizontally when it died? Anyone have occasion to notice how a dead RPAS fall from 400 or so feet? I hope not but interesting to know.

As we have no ironclad guarantee that sometime, somewhere, a drone will not fall out of the sky, what we REALLY need are a whole lot of PSAs to educate the public that if one of these things suddenly becomes quiet, DIVE for cover.

Remember before cars did not all have pedestrian avoidance automatic braking?
And that famous sign for pedestrians at a busy crosswalk, "Look both ways, cross the street, THEN update Facebook."

Simple.

And come to think of it, if the propellers are not working, how much worse can it be than being hit by a softball?

Reactions: Warnica
Any drone by any manufacturer can fall out of the sky without warning. The question is how likely is it. My P4 and P4A drones have been completely reliable over the past three years in hundreds of flights. No flyaways, no mid-air shutdowns, always returned home on signal loss or low battery.
Nick I got a P4A last sept and I so blow away how reliable it is and so smooth in flight. My previous AC was a P3se it was ok but you were always on your toes flying P4 hand’s down a winner.

You can not fly within 100 feet of a person At Any Elevation. I wonder what are the chances if flying at 400 feet AGL , 100 feet horizontally from a group of people and the RPAS dies. Does it fall 90 degrees straight down or does auto rotation send it off with a big chance it will hit the crowd even though you were 100 feet away horizontally when it died? Anyone have occasion to notice how a dead RPAS fall from 400 or so feet? I hope not but interesting to know.

It would take about 5 seconds to fall from that height (assuming I did the sums correctly). So if it happened to be travelling at 6 m/s horizontally it would travel about 30 m while falling (treating it as a projectile, so ignoring air resistance). As the Phantom 4 can travel at 20 m/s by the spec sheet, it's maximum horizontal range would be 100 m (roughly).

Falling vertically for 5 s gives an impact velocity of about 50 m/s (assuming some sideways velocity and ignoring drag) — almost 180 km/h or double the speed of the average high school pitcher.

A Phantom masses about 1.4 kg, a softball 0.2 kg. Kinetic energy is proportional to mass and proportional to the square of the speed, so 7 times more mass and 2 times more speed is 28 times as much kinetic energy as a softball. As a first approximation, blunt force trauma is roughly proportional to kinetic energy — so a Phantom falling from 400' altitude is quite a bit more dangerous than a softball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20