DJI Phantom 4 GO

Reaction score
After 71 successful flights with my P4 using the old app, I finally followed the on screen prompt and upgraded to 4 GO. I was preparing for an weekend family event that I wanted to film so I took one flight out and back to insure that everything was working correctly.

After landing, I armed the motors, took off and it hovered while I read the manual to figure out my next move. After a couple of minutes of hovering, the P4 suddenly accelerated, flipped upside down and went into my driveway at full throttle, upside down. I could not shut it off and it finally shut itself off after a couple of minutes. Fortunately, the tops of the propellers took all of the abuse.

I contacted Tech Support and they told me I should not be using Pro 4 GO because it has glitches they are still working on. They told me to go back to the original program. Great!

Now my camera is no longer working and I have no confidence in the drone. If it hadn't inverted, it would have flown off into oblivion. So, I am sending the drone back to DJI for service. Who knows when I will get it back.

I contacted Tech Support and they told me I should not be using Pro 4 GO because it has glitches they are still working on. They told me to go back to the original program. Great!

That's disturbing!

I can't recall why I went bad to the old GO 3 (and still using it too) over the GO 4 version with the old P4, but something with GO 4 bothered me.

I have just got my P4 and I am flying it so far with GO 4 and an iPad mini 2 so far I have not noticed any problems. But then again I have not flown it very far away.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I have a mini i-pad 4 that I use for my other drones. When I tried to upload the DJI to the 4, the app said it was not compatible. The 4 was running 10.2. I called tech support and they said the program was not compatible with 10.2 but it was with the earlier versions. I bought a new mini 2 which was running 8.?. The program loaded fine and I flew it 71 times without incident until now. Was it the upgrade or the new program? Don't know but I don't trust either of them. It was pure luck the drone went inverted because I would have helplessly watched $1,000+ fly away.

I know what it's like to watch a quadcopter fly away as you watch helplessly, FORTUNATELY I experienced that heart warming event with an inexpensive (relatively speaking) toy grade quadcopter. Which happened to be a xmas gift from my awesome wife.

She thought the whole thing was kind of amusing, you know like a little kid losing his new toy after only a few days, while I actually felt really bad about the whole thing. Well after talking about it with her I got her to buy-in to me getting the P4 but I am having to sell another toy of mine to help fund it.

On my P4 I've only ever used the Go 4 app on my iPhone SE (yeah I know, small screen, I like small phones) with all the DJI stuff being updated during the initial setup and the newest iOS. I haven't flown my P4 as much as some people, maybe 20 times by now and so far it's been rock solid, hopefully it continues to be reliable!

I had a lot of glitches with the Android version of the DJI Go app. The DJI software would crash nearly every flight. The remote control kept working, so no crashes. I just lost the video feed and automated functions like "follow me", or "point of interest". I spent the money and upgraded to the iPad Mini4 and have had no issues since.

This thread caught my attention because just this morning I got the notice to upgrade the operating system. I am currently running 10.2. and I have had no issues. It is wanting to upgrade to 10.2.1.

I upgraded to iOS 10.2.1 and have made one flight since. There were no problems but it's only been one flight since the upgrade.

I had a lot of glitches with the Android version of the DJI Go app. The DJI software would crash nearly every flight. The remote control kept working, so no crashes. I just lost the video feed and automated functions like "follow me", or "point of interest". I spent the money and upgraded to the iPad Mini4 and have had no issues since.

This thread caught my attention because just this morning I got the notice to upgrade the operating system. I am currently running 10.2. and I have had no issues. It is wanting to upgrade to 10.2.1.
Again, I did the update on 10.2.1. your speaking about last evening (miniIPad2/P4) I was extremely nervous after reading this today! I did get out twice today without any problems so I'm guessing the update of the 10.2.1. wasn't Rogers issue but my drone IQ is very low!

I have flown 25 flights with P4 using GO 4 and an iPad Mini 2. I have recently updated iPad Mini 2 to 10.2.1 and flew 6 flights today without issue. Praying to continue without issue.

Its possible that there is a firmware conflict with GO 4 and 10.2.1..?

Again, I did the update on 10.2.1. your speaking about last evening (miniIPad2/P4) I was extremely nervous after reading this today! I did get out twice today without any problems so I'm guessing the update of the 10.2.1. wasn't Rogers issue but my drone IQ is very low!
I did the update. It was too windy to fly yesterday. I will hopefully try it out today.

After landing, I armed the motors, took off and it hovered while I read the manual to figure out my next move. After a couple of minutes of hovering, the P4 suddenly accelerated, flipped upside down and went into my driveway at full throttle, upside down. I could not shut it off and it finally shut itself off after a couple of minutes. Fortunately, the tops of the propellers took all of the abuse.

I contacted Tech Support and they told me I should not be using Pro 4 GO because it has glitches they are still working on. They told me to go back to the original program. .... .

To me it seems also that Go 4 is less stable. The other day it even crashed my Nvidea Shield. I had to reboot it.
However, this doesn't explain what happened to your P4. Why did it flip? If Go crashed you still have full control.
Maybe something happened to the drone while you weren't watching it, reading the manual? ;)

While I have appropriate sympathy for you in this, I'm burning with a completely different question: How the H E double-hockeysticks did that thing flip itself?!?!?!? I didn't think it was even capable of that, period! I mean, unless a motor just powered down completely or something, which isn't possible from a control signal, it would seem to me.

All I'm saying is the fact that it flipped may suggest something deeper is wrong, like maybe the controller board. Not suggesting this is likely, just that the fact that it flipped at all seems suspicious.

Reactions: rene van der meer
I've never had my landings flip even in gusts so far. I just manually grease in the landing, although it sometimes fights me on settling down the last foot or so above the ground to land smoothly. However, I keep the prop guards on mine just in case a flip should occur which could smoke the ESC. I don't fully trust the thing yet as each flight has some unexplained oddity on review. The things aren't perfect and having had three of them they each have their unique differences too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj