DJI Phantom 3 with Samsung Note 3 Android phone.

Reaction score
I have not yet ordered the Phantom 3, am trying to establish if I can use my old Samsung Note 3 without the Sim Card (bad card reader), I have wifi but not data connection, will this phone be suitable for use with a Phantom 3?

@Reed L is using this mobile device. Perhaps he will comment on how well it's working for him.

Yes. However, you won't be able to see the map in DJI GO unless you cache the map data while your mobile device is connected to the Internet.

How much Map data needs to be downloaded, the Note 3 has 32gb of storage and its not going to used for anything now but as a Screen for the Phantom 3, does the Phantom 3 connect to the Mobile via wifi? I am hoping it does since the USB connection is also bad, phone went for a swim last year so no data or USB to PC connection although it charges up fine connects to the Internet via wifi at home and also the GPS is working, has a great clear screen be nice to be able to find a use for it with the Phantom 3?

Reactions: Bladerunner2125
I use my old Note 3 without a sim card. cached maps and record flight on it without any issues. Even works well in bright sunlight.

I wonder why DJI removed the WIFI connection to the Mobile Monitor? is there much difference in function between the Standard and the advanced Phantom 3, I really need to be using wifi since the USB connection isn't working properly on the Note 3?

Those differences are what pushed me to the advanced. I personally like the cabled connection rather than wifi. It leaves my wifi free to connect to the internet if I have my hotspot on.

Those differences are what pushed me to the advanced. I personally like the cabled connection rather than wifi. It leaves my wifi free to connect to the internet if I have my hotspot on.

Why does the Phantom need to connect to the internet, does it need constant updates of the map if not cached?

does it need constant updates of the map if not cached?
If the maps are not cached, DJI GO needs to be connected to the Internet in order to download the map images as you fly. You could of course fly without the map too.

If the maps are not cached, DJI GO needs to be connected to the Internet in order to download the map images as you fly. You could of course fly without the map too.

Could you just cache the whole maps of the area you fly in, and never need to update it or is there a problem with caching the maps, on my car GPS I have the whole of the UK maps on a CD thats less than 300mb in size?

Could you just cache the whole maps of the area you fly in, and never need to update it
No. The cache sometimes expires and you'll need to cache the maps again. It's best to do it before you head out to fly each time -- or at least double-check that the maps are still cached before heading out.

No. The cache sometimes expires and you'll need to cache the maps again. It's best to do it before you head out to fly each time -- or at least double-check that the maps are still cached before heading out.

I think I am going to go for the Phantom 3 4k since this has the pro's 4k Camera, sonar, and better controller and also allows Wifi Connection to the Mobile, I don't need massive range but could Mod it if I need extended range, what do you guys think, is this the best choice?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic