Dji phantom 3 and fly wind

Reaction score
hello until now price wind should fly?until 10mph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you meant maximum wind speed recommended for flying, most people here will tell you that under 18 mph is ok to take the drone out. I usually don't take it out if wind at 400 feet is more than 15 mph... I use the UAV Forcast app to verify this data...

Reactions: With The Birds
I flew yesterday in 37-43kmh winds and it was okay, but not much fun. Having to make sure down wind on return etc. It was working overtime staying in one place at times.

I'd say half of that is better for a better experience.

I flee yesterday with 30kmh and one metre of ground crash and broken proppels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner here

Been eager to fly again after some bad weather; today all the boxes on the UAV Forecast app where green apart from wind, which was red because of over 20mph winds. Decided I'd take her for a ride. I completed all the checks & hovered at 1 meter for a couple of minutes. I felt happy, and took her straight up to 50 meters, and suddenly the wind took her 250 meters away from me.

I felt massively uncomfortable, and immediately started to begin to bring her back; however I really struggled as I was flying into the same strong winds that took her away. I was managing speeds of only 3mph max, and at one time I was really concerned about getting her back. It seemed an eternity, but eventually I got her back safely.

As a noob, I’m possible overreacting. However, for now I’m setting the UAV Forecast to 10mph, and only flying on all greens.

Out of interest I took a look at my healthy drones log; it estimates the winds I caught where averaging at 43.2mph (link below)

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Last edited:
Wow that's some wind, you didn't physically feel,that was a lot of wind? I know when I flew yesterday I could feel it was quite fast, and it was half the speeds you've encountered.

Wow that's some wind, you didn't physically feel,that was a lot of wind? I know when I flew yesterday I could feel it was quite fast, and it was half the speeds you've encountered.

No not at all. I was looking at the trees, and although it was windy, it looked nothing like what the drone experienced; and physically I couldn’t feel the wind at all. When I hovered at 1 meter for a couple of minutes the drone didn’t move an inch.

I was in front of a large barn (you can see it on the log map). Maybe it was shielding me from the full extent of the wind. In fact, now I look at the log & map, this makes sense, as the wind is coming from behind the barn.

Last edited:
Yeah, have to be very mindful when operating within a shield environment and the nature of the winds when they are above that protected environment. Glad you didn't loose it to a crash, good lesson.

Just FYI... The wind is calculated and approximated. It's not 100% accurate. I wonder if anyone ever tested with a wind meter before?

From healthydrones:
How is wind calculated?
Wind is calculated using the angle of the aircraft, the speed of the aircraft and the status of the remote control knobs.
In order to get a reading, all the following conditions must be met for at least 5 consecutive seconds:
The aircraft must be in GPS mode (P mode on the remote) - missions and other modes are currently not supported
The aircraft must fly at full speed and in a straight line - OR - hover at the same spot without moving
No direction change, right-left turns or altitude change should take place during these 5 seconds

Note that the wind is blowing in the direction the arrow is pointing.

Beginner here

Been eager to fly again after some bad weather; today all the boxes on the UAV Forecast app where green apart from wind, which was red because of over 20mph winds. Decided I'd take her for a ride. I completed all the checks & hovered at 1 meter for a couple of minutes. I felt happy, and took her straight up to 50 meters, and suddenly the wind took her 250 meters away from me.

I felt massively uncomfortable, and immediately started to begin to bring her back; however I really struggled as I was flying into the same strong winds that took her away. I was managing speeds of only 3mph max, and at one time I was really concerned about getting her back. It seemed an eternity, but eventually I got her back safely.

As a noob, I’m possible overreacting. However, for now I’m setting the UAV Forecast to 10mph, and only flying on all greens.

Out of interest I took a look at my healthy drones log; it estimates the winds I caught where averaging at 43.2mph (link below)

BTW on UAV Forecast, change the WIND ALTITUDE to the height you usually fly at or plan on flying it. Sometimes ground wind is much different than wind at 250 feet up.

Reactions: Dnallov
BTW on UAV Forecast, change the WIND ALTITUDE to the height you usually fly at or plan on flying it. Sometimes ground wind is much different than wind at 250 feet up.

Thanks, that extremely helpful! I've just changed mine from 33feet to 400feet; good news is that I am now safer when I fly on all greens, BAD news is I'm now not flying today!

Big difference; it was 17mph, but at 400ft it’s 34mph.

Well, I experienced somewhat similar case as Dnallov. Took up at real easy wind conditions, and suddenly seen the P3P drifting. I suspected it hit strong winds, and set it back home.
Was in time a s soon a strong wind gust hit the area. Must be aware of the fact that winds in the upper heights may be different.
A maneuver to get back the P3P will be to get lower in altitude using FPV, and get it home asap...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie