DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter Battery Parrallel Charger Bo

Reaction score
Hi - Does anyone have any advice on or experience with these?

sku_104649_2.jpg

DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter Battery Parrallel Charger Board 3 Batteries

Re: DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter Battery Parrallel Charge

Been using it for a couple of weeks now without any problems. Just make sure the batteries are pushed all the way down on the connectors.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

In addition to that you need to turn the battery on just like when you power up your phantom so the battery can start charging, i have one and works great, got it for 10 dlls

Sana

Xanadu said:
Where'd you buy?

Ebay, from china, it works with my regular charger, it takes 3 hours to charge 3 batteries

Sana

Xanadu said:
Where'd you buy?
I bought mine from eBay.co.uk but from a UK source. Cost me a bit more but I had it in 2 days rather than a long wait from China. Suited my situation better.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

(easier to return too)

When you say 'works with your regular charger' do you mean your Phantom 2 charger. The one in the picture appears to have a round power connector rather than the two pins of the DJI charger ???

Itss got both round and the dji charger connection. Photo doesn't show it well. Its the other side of where the 2 vertical boards are.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

u7enujy3.jpg

Got the same one, and charges @3 roughly @3+hours.. Like it this farツ.. Didn't put it on the balance charger as of yet still waiting on the parameters for amperage I asked about.. Not sure I wanna cook 3 batteries on the wrong settings.. The DJI box does get hot with 3 connected.. Also would like to include occasional issues with acknowledging batteries... I just flick the strip reset on my power reset panel and Waite @10-20sec and flick back on...

Via smoke signalsツ.

No advantage when connected to the standard DJI power supply. That power supply can't deliver enough current to support a 1C charge rate with 3 batteries in parallel.

You need a power supply that will deliver around 15 Amps. Do not use a balance charger in LiPo mode. Use it in Pb mode.

You got that right.

My DJI charger is rated @ 4amp out.

The batt. is 5.2 Ah.

I wish it was [even] 1C charge for ONE battery!

DJI has made every effort to minimize LiPo hazards with their 'system'. But the batteries are way too expensive because of this ['smart' portion] and shamefully it's NOT REUSEABLE.

I am new at this and really dont understand what your saying, i need to read up some more, but i have this charger bar and use it with my original phantom 2 charger and works pretty well, it charges 3 batteries in around 3 hours, if i did one by one it would be 4.5 hours, about balancing, i really dont understand it and really dont know if the charger does this or how it does it and for what reason do you need to do it, lol, yes i know, investigate or can i just simply ask, maybe someone can enlighten me

Sana

Like Sana I don't understand all this 1C stuff and the 'no advantage' statement. Can you please in plain language explain what yo mean so I can understand. I do photography using the P2 as a platform and not an RC geek. To me I have an 'advantage', it charges 2 (I only got 2) batteries at once quicker than charging 2 seperately one after the other. The charger gets no warmer than when charging one. Am I damaging or reducing the battery life by charging via this bar?

1C is one times the rated current of the battery. The Phantom 2 LiPo is rated at 5200mAh. This means it will source 5.2 Amps ( mAh / 1000 ) for 1 hour. I don't see a max C anywhere on the battery but if I assume 10C it will source 52 Amps ( 5.2 x 10) for one Tenth of an hour or 6 Mins.

The recommended charging current for a LiPo is it's rated current for I hour ( 5.2 Amps for 1 hour ). Some LiPos can be charged at 2C or even 3C but it increases the internal temperature and decreases life.

A fully charged cell is 4.2 volts, giving 12.6 volts for a 3 cell pack.

The DJI power supply, it's not a charger, is rated at 12.6 Volts at 4 Amps and is protected against overload - try shorting it and you will see the green lamp go out until the short is removed. It won't run a 12V 50Watt halogen lamp. The cold inrush current trips the protection circuit. I can draw a bit over 4 Amps from mine before it shuts down.

Disclaimer: This is simplified.

When you connect two or more loads in parallel the voltage across the loads remains constant and the current divides in inverse proportion to the resistance of the individual paths. As far as the power supply is concerned the smart batteries are variable resistors, the greater the resistance the less current down that path.

The smart battery contains circuitry to charge the cells and detect when they are fully charged. When the battery voltage is low the internal circuitry looks like a low value resistor, allowing a lot of current to,flow into the battery, as the battery charges it's terminal voltage increases and the internal circuitry increases the value of the resistor, decreasing the current and eventually stopping it completely.

With 2 batteries at the same state of change the 4A available from the power supply will divide, so each battery will get 2 amps. If you replace the power supply with one that will source 10A at 12.6V, each battery will be able to sink up to 5A.

I agree with riblit.

I will also add that once 'inside' the battery assembly, there is (should be) built-in balancing circuitry as well. This must contribute to the [ridiculous] battery cost as it cannot be reused (until someone clever does a workaround ;) )

The 3 cells (3S or 3 in-series) also have individual leads so each cell (voltage) can be monitored individually during charging and adjusted such that each cell achieves the same charge level (a.k.a. 'balancing'). Ideally 4.2V, +/- .1V

This of course comes at a cost as it reduces the efficiency of charging (slightly).

riblit said:
...With 2 batteries at the same state of change the 4A available from the power supply will divide, so each battery will get 2 amps. If you replace the power supply with one that will source 10A at 12.6V, each battery will be able to sink up to 5A.
Thanks for that. So are you saying that a 10A at 12.6V power supply will safely charge much quicker using this bar over the stock charger? Is there any other spec regarding a PS that needs to be considered? It seems that balancing is done inside the smart P2 battery.

Thanks for that riblt.

I will take a look!

So the bigger the amps out of the charger, the faster it charges?

Sana

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic