DJI PHANTOM 2 BATTERY CLONE $72.99

Reaction score
I will not run this battery, thought I would post to see if anyone has tried it.
Personally I will not risk it.
dji_phantom_2_clone_5400_lipo_battery.jpg

http://nukerc.com/phantom-2-clone-li-po-battery.html

It's a different one to the link. Clone mkii, lets see how these fare. not by me though :D

Has anyone seen a schematic of either the DJI smart battery or this clone (or any clone)?

--- edit ---

Well here's my answer (or enough of it that I probably don't care any more). This is a DJI OEM smart battery. So I wonder what the clone looks like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlOmQbSZ_Rk
What is surprising is that so much circuitry would be committed to disposable hardware/chemistry.

slothead said:
Has anyone seen a schematic of either the DJI smart battery or this clone (or any clone)?

--- edit ---

Well here's my answer (or enough of it that I probably don't care any more). This is a DJI OEM smart battery. So I wonder what the clone looks like?
What is surprising is that so much circuitry would be committed to disposable hardware/chemistry.

If you're saying it's wasteful I agree.

This proprietary battery strategy is another good reason for those who feel they are committed to multi-copters going forward to move away from such platforms.

N017RW said:
slothead said:

--- edit ---

If you're saying it's wasteful I agree.

This proprietary battery strategy is another good reason for those who feel they are committed to multi-copters going forward to move away from such platforms.
I'm not sure I'd apply that word ("wasteful") exactly (but it depends on your context), but it's close. I think it shows just how cheaply electronics can be produced and assembled in the orient, for them it may not be wasteful (they have to make money on it or they wouldn't be doing it), but I am not sure that it is cost effective for the user to carry all those electronics along on the flight if they serve no flight function (charging and charge control can be done effectively on the ground)... And maybe that is what you meant by wasteful... With which I agree.

The question remaining in my mind is whether those battery electronics really do serve any flight purpose (e.g., aiding in reporting/telemetering battery level, and hence terminating the flight at specific levels).

It's pretty amazing if you think about it.
Aren't the two smaller pads the data ports? I would imagine that's what allows the Phantom to monitor the battery level.

Not knowing much about RC batteries, I was curious whether you could swap the actual battery portion out for a higher capacity (assuming one could find one at the same dimensions), but it does not seem like it. :)

I wouldn't touch them (IMHO). They might work just as well as OEM, but can you REALLY be sure?? I don't believe it's worth taking the risk. My two cents....

Aftermarket batteries

Since I'm new to the hobby (and trust me, I'm trying to be responsible with my drone to not be "that guy" that ruins it for the long term pilots)...

I was wondering if there were aftermarket batteries that were made for the original Phantom. I mean typically with all kinds of products (flashlights, etc) people end up making better, cheaper batteries than OEM. Was this the case for the original phantom as well? Or were they only OEM parts? And anyone have any thoughts on what the likelihood of extended runtime batteries would be for the "smart" battery? Or are those things so locked down that there's no way?

Re: Aftermarket batteries

I'm all for saving money when possible, but are you really going to skimp on $60 to test an unknown on your $1300 precision(ish) technology?

Re: Aftermarket batteries

I use a $6 battery in my $600 phone. Works fine.
If it stops working then I miss a few calls and might not upgrade my cannons in Clash of Clans on time :)
A Phantom on the other hand might injure a building or cut open tree. We know phantoms are harmless to their masters.

There are also reported faults in the OEM batteries, so how can we trust the aftermarket ones?
When I see QC stickers on products, I imagine 14yr old with a roll of stickers.
Until there is sufficient (independent) reliability testing then I might consider.
Or you can purchase, and fly over a trampoline and write a review after 6 months of usage.

Simply.. don't skimp on props and don't skimp on batteries.

JeffB said:
I wouldn't touch them (IMHO). They might work just as well as OEM, but can you REALLY be sure?? I don't believe it's worth taking the risk. My two cents....
Morgon said:
Someone posted some knockoff battery yesterday (I can't blame you for not searching, as the forum does not allow 'battery' as a search term) ...
Use the better search in this post viewtopic.php?p=205474#p205474 it will let you search for battery

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl