DJI Pantom FC40 upgrade

Reaction score
Hello!

I apologize in advance if this has bee covered in another post.

I want to upgrade my phantom to use a GoPro camera with the Zenmuse Gimbal. The FC40 comes with it's own camera and mount, but the image quality is lacking. Is it possible to upgrade my Phantom?

I just got my Phantom for Christmas, and since I live in Indiana (Midwestern United States), and we've been experiencing some kind of polar vortex, I only have 2 flights under my belt. So go ahead...rail against the noob. I can take it :)

it might be. You might be one of the few who own an FC40. Since its based off the Phantom 1, your flight times will be around 8 minutes.

Ksc said:
it might be. You might be one of the few who own an FC40. Since its based off the Phantom 1, your flight times will be around 8 minutes.

Very short indeed, but 8 minutes is better than not flying at all. The Phantom was a gift, for which I'm very grateful.

After doing some more research on the Phantom 1, it looks like the FC40 is a version 1.1.1. From what I can tell it looks upgradeable, I'm just not sure if it'll require upgrading the board (I'm hoping not!).

Thanks for your help & reply.

I think you have the better version anyway Joseph and yeah, that's one heck of a nice gift!

The Phantom Vision or Phantom 2 uses a proprietary battery at $160 a piece to achieve the longer flight times. Your batteries can be had for $23 shipped. $69 in batteries on the P1 gets you what $160 in batteries does on a P2 with regards to flight times. Sometimes 'new versions' are not always the better option for some users. In my case, I chose the V1.1.1 over the P2 for that reason.

I am sure it is upgradeable, just what steps is what you have to figure out. Were you thinking H2-3D gimbal? It's not that hard to split the case, perhaps you can pop it open and take some photos of the board so we can help and let you know if the 'upgrade board' is in there. Even if it's not, it's no big deal to add it.

Have fun with your new quad!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers