DJI offered to buy 3DR - interesting article

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Interesting article on the demise of 3DR:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2016/10/05/3d-robotics-solo-crash-chris-anderson

Back around the time of the Solo and Phantom 3 launch DJI founder and CEO Frank Wang traveled to Berkeley to talk with Anderson and offered to buy the company outright, according to one person who witnessed the meeting. The 3D Robotics CEO, who was about to start shipping Solo, declined. 3D Robotics was in for the long haul.

It seems the only thing that 3DR did well was to over-market and over-promise but completely failed to deliver.

Reactions: lonjsnyder
Sad but true. I purchased the 3dr solo and after several disappointments I ended up buying a phantom 4. Never turned back. The only thing solo has going for it is it's built like a tank and everything is open source. I needed reliability. Solo didn't even come close.

Solo is definitely good for techies who want to modify and add their own SW mods. Seems to be ideal for hobbyists.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I read this today and was blown away!

The Solo is dead.

"We’re not making anymore Solos and we’re not going to make another drone” - Chris Anderson CEO 3DR

Also, the fact that they knowingly put faulty GPS into the Solo's is pretty damning: “We knew the drone would work,” he said, noting that there was an improved GPS component that wasn’t shipped in regulars Solos. - Former Employee

Happy I'm on the DJI bandwagon :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.